3 baby 3 adult group intro?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_Vixen

So from my fiasco of a dumb I had, I have 3 beautiful baby boys. Bear, Fred, and Indie. Fred and Indie may or may not find another home, but their temp cage is much too small for me to feel comfortable with them staying in it.

I did an intro between Bear and our docile Russian blue berk Beau and it went fabulously. Mutual peeing on each other, grooming and no puffing, hissing or anything negative.

I want Fred and Indie to go in the same cage with Bear and our boys Beau, Leon and Zorro, but should I continue with one on one intros starting with Beau or should I do group intros?

And is yes in group intros... I have never done a group one before... What should I know about them that might be different?

Indie being overdramatic.
c55fb96aea51ecbf1878dfa99394b87b.jpg

Fred.
368d5f784cdc8a6096e5de45f73cb910.jpg

Bear
68b4a000892cf9b13386211a216054d6.jpg

Beau
4bae5db74d89e2e3efaff6291429864c.jpg

Zorro and Leon
78cc2e50d40d3398043cf5d8507fe0cf.jpg

I have always done group intros and have never found it any different then introing a single rat,
although I imagine it is easier for the rats as they are not all alone with unfamiliar rats.
It just means more rats to keep an eye on.

Whenever possible, I use a bath tub with the plug in, as a neutral/unfamiliar intro area
It has the benefit of helping keep them contained, which helps when there is a large number

I am not sure how old your babies are but they need to be at least 8 weeks old (10 is better)
before being put physically with older rats for intros

Here is a thread that you might find helpful http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368

Last edited:
They turn 8 weeks on Tuesday. I can't remember where I was talking to some people, but they had mentioned 7 or later would be fine so I tried an intro with Beau and Bear and it went fantabulous, but given your advice I will wait another week before doing intros again at least.

We did it in the tub. Thankfully the boys haven't figured out how to jump into the walls of the tub yet... The girls have... Boys haven't.

Latest posts

Back