20$ Rat cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisylynn

So I got woke up this morning with 'There's a huge cage at a yard sale! Go check it out!'
So I went over and this is what I found for 20$:
IMG_5121.resized.JPG

IMG_5122.resized.JPG

So that leads to the question what do I wash it with? Would bleach be too strong?

I all my new cages have similar cleaning...I have a spray bottle with 50/50 bleach and water in it...I mist the cage down all parts (except wood) let stand for 10-15mins...then into the tub fill with hot water and about 1cup of bleach...let it soak for a while turning if not all parts submerged...drain tub scrub cage down with scrub brush...rinse cage and all parts really well to remove all bleach.
I was told this method by a vet when I was purchacing a second hand crate for my dog ...incase the previous dog had anything deadly like Parvo...which sticks to surface for like a year...so I assumed this would be good for rat cages as well...
Bleach is only good on metal and plastic...not the wooden stuff...

Ok, upon closer inspection, this cage does NOT come apart, takes up the ENTIRE bath tub. I'm settling for manually washing it down with a scrub brush. and has rust on it. Will rust hurt rats? If so, how much does it take to hurt said rats?
Edit: this cage has mesh across the litter pan so I filled the litter and put a towel across...Will old raggedy towels be ok until I can go shopping?
Edit 2: this is how it looks so far...it needs some more hammocks and stuff but so far they seem to LOVE it.
IMG_5143.resized.JPG

(first post!!!) I bought my rats a bird cage smaller than yours and have a lot of odd ball habitat. It seems it's cheaper and more fun for the rats and the owner as you can modify it as you please. I covered up wired housing (small storage shelf thingy) with used paper cups and with old socks (when they chewed up the cups) and just threw them away after a week of use. They didn't look soiled or anything I just didn't see the point of washing them constantly as they were throw aways. I don't know it's healthy or anything of the nature but it kept them warm at night, I'd say that old towels should be fine. Did you construct the hammocks yourself?

Have you considered adding levels? Did the cage come with a wire base? Mine did and I'm thinking about cutting it up and sanding the ends and adding small perches and lofts to my cage. I've tried looking for replacement parts for the rat manor for adding levels but to no avail.

Back