2 female rats available on Vancouver Island, BC

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity

Hi all,

I am looking for the right home for two female rats that have been sort of... dumped on me/rescued. It's a bit of a strange situation....

These rats belonged to a relative of mine with young children and despite my trying to convince them that the rats are not suitable for their 3 and 5 year old and that they can't provide optimum care to them (they keep them in an aquarium on cedar shavings and dont clean the cage overly often, think feeding hamster food is fine and one time when food wasnt available they fed them nothing but carrots..... oh, and they don't take them to the vet....), they still continued. :redhot:

Well, as it turned out they had planned to go away for a week camping and had thought it would be okay to leave them there alone for the week with a pile of food, so I offered to babysit them. When I arrived to pick them up I found out that the 3 year old, who is very rough with animals to begin with, decided to beat one of them with a stick to the point where she was soaked in her own urine and they thought she was dead. Did they take her to the vet? No. They called her "on the mend" :roll: :rant:

To make a long story short, all of this has come to an end and the end result is my relative is no longer talking to me and I now have two rats that I had no real intention of taking on long term and three of my own, one who has just undergone surgery for a mammary tumor which I know you all know costs big $$. Financially, I could possibly take on one more rat, but two would be too much and I don't want to separate these two after all they have been through.

I am looking to find the perfect home for them, one preferably with no children and plenty of rat experience as one of the girls (the 'beaten rat', or Sweet Pea, as we now call her) has been nipping fingers, particularly in the cage. You can't really blame her given all she's been through but it will require a handler with patience and love. My husband and I are taking them out of their cage daily to begin the socializing process and I believe our loving care has been helping. Teensy, the second rat, is already really quite sweet and will sit on your shoulder on the couch. When we bring them out to be with us in the living room, they cuddle up together on the couch and hang out. I should note, Sweet Pea isn't really outwardly mean, she likes strokes on the head but I want to be open with her next home that she has been nipping. I believe that with enough time and patience she will lose this habit.

I have taken them to the vet several times since bringing them home and have spent hundreds into making sure they are healthy and happy when they find a new home. They are currently on a course of antibiotics and revolution. We do not know their exact age, they are smaller rats and are about 300g each. The vet placed them possibly at about a year old. They are currently on a diet of Harlan Teklad and fresh veggies.

I am not asking money for them TO THE RIGHT HOME. Please contact me if you are interested. I live in Nanaimo.

Pics to come.

Thought I might add some photos to see if that might strike any good homes looking for additions. They really are cute girls....

Getting used to gentle handling.....

Snuggling each other for protection

Looking adorable

Partaking of a treat

Getting half blinded by flash... :oops:

Getting curious

My favorite :heart:

Back