19 boys in a cage, yeah what was I thinking

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefloats

Not active.
:dance:

4 boys are getting neutered. Calling Monday and making the appointment. These boys have lived together for months now, granted we moved to a room but good lord.

Lenny, Squiggy and Flynn all from the same mean gene pool. Brother and partners in crime. I am not sure who is actually alpha in this cage, since they seem to fight equally. Lenny randomly attacks, rat ball the other boys. Flynn seems to love to side step on them, and then use his extra body fat to bite them over and over. Squiggy is a mix of both. All 3 of them, will chase them around the room till they catch whoever they are not "liking" at the moment.

Horatio the other adult male that came with the babies since he cannot stop his blood curdling screams.

I am sure half of it is over the girls. I have considered putting them all in one group. Anything to get peace with them. I dont know how that would work out. If the girls being there would cause more fights or if my girls would be overly mounted :cheeky:

Ideas are awesome. So toss them at me.

Would they do better with females with them? or worse?

I know the neuter will help but the girls are still going to be there lol

I know Templeton was a jerk, but he is by far a better alpha than this testosterone filled boys LOL

This is really making me miss my Toby. These problems wouldnt be happening.

I don't know if I have any suggestions...
my very limited experience with girls/boys was that the other night, I mistakenly put the girl's dish in the boys cage and oh my!!!
they started chasing each other, boxing, cornering, screaming etc...you name it!!
I was wondering what in the world got into them?? they NEVER fight!!
then I look at the bowl and the light bulb went on :)

let's see what the pros have to say on your situation :)

LOL that will do it! That is why i am posting. I am more than willing to make a bigger cage and put them all together if that helps. I just have concerns on if it will. I know the intro would suck, but ya know.

I could take the 3 bullies out and put them with the other group but if i do that and it doesnt work then my boys are left in the middle.

Oh it's definitely a big part of the girls and their boyfriends. Rats get antsy when they smell other rats and don't "know" them. They will eventually settle down but it can take quite sometime. Can you attempt a big play date? Have them all out for out time?

I kinda figured that would be it. One will jump up on the cage, i take them down, another will jump up there. You can do that for hours. I put a barrier up inside Templeton's cage so that the boys don't get bitten on their nose or toes.

Squiggy my little jerk makes me feel bad. He will lay there and go to sleep in front of their cage. Templeton's group don't bite them, they push them off the cage a bit. So I don't think they are not known to them which is good.

I have tried the table a few times to see how it goes.
I can tell you, having that many out for an intro is not fun, I dont have a way to do a "neutral" place. The table it to small and they were falling off it. Not to mention watching them is like unreal.

297336_10150358627796409_634516408_8613151_98874201_n.jpg

My major concern is the humping. I seen it cause my girls to bleed after skittles this summer when I went through all the spays. The boy group some will box when the other group is out, because all of the rats end up at the door watching the other group no matter who is out lol.

I will try today to have them all out on the floor. I just want the tension you can see and feel with the boys to stop. I am still getting those boys neutered. I know when you start to do intros, it can cause a lot of bickering so I have limited my contact with them. I tried it since I figured it was from them wanting to meet my girls but they have been jerky for a while now. Now the Shakespeare babies are at that age lol so i have 9 new babies coming into manhood!

If I could put them on the floor and let them run together it might make my days quieter. I thought about putting some of the girls with the boys, but 19 able to hump rats terrify me that they will gang rape my girls :emb: I have been kinda over protective of the girls. I let them out with the boys, then I put them back real fast LOL pathetic I know.

I am more than willing to connecting 3 fns to fit them all in :) if that is what it takes LOL

Once the girls are introed to the boys, they will eventually stop humping them although I've had some girls willing to have the boys have their way with them. The girls didn't even stop eating their treats while the boys have a different treat with them. lol My group was also smaller, only 19, 7 boys (all intact) and 12 spayed girls.

mamarat said:
Once the girls are introed to the boys, they will eventually stop humping them although I've had some girls willing to have the boys have their way with them. The girls didn't even stop eating their treats while the boys have a different treat with them. lol My group was also smaller, only 19, 7 boys (all intact) and 12 spayed girls.

LOL the treat thing cracked me up.

I did mix sex intros but they were "mostly" neutered boys :laugh4: This is a lot of intact-ness so it has me a little more concerned. I dont know why, I know my girls. They don't like something they will kick their butts.

I will try today though. I am sure pictures will follow.

I think your girls bled because they were resorbing babies with Tempie's half a nut.
Males usually stop humping after about a week. Once they realize the girls don't go into heat, they give up, unless of course the girls invite them.

That was NOT fun.

Lenny caused an injury a bit of a gash. No blood just nasty looking. It is a hairless so that is probably why. Lenny is out of control with his attitude so is squiggy. Those two were the worse. I will try again tomorrow LOL had enough for today.

Everyone else was a bit puffy or screaming but i can only imagine how overwhelming that is for them.

It wasnt a bunch of fights so that is good, just the ones I knew had issues.

Templeton was a bit puffy, but he didnt attack anyone.
389222_10150362645876409_634516408_8634209_1766173133_n.jpg

Ludo and Squiggy
387594_10150362646356409_634516408_8634210_408255258_n.jpg

Poor big boy Algernon, my pew boy, he is such a nervous boy, hates intros of any sort.
298761_10150362646766409_634516408_8634213_1319083179_n.jpg

Templeton again
393498_10150362647636409_634516408_8634218_1909043442_n.jpg

Some of the boys
388003_10150362648381409_634516408_8634220_979556847_n.jpg

377391_10150362648701409_634516408_8634221_1583464420_n.jpg

388206_10150362649411409_634516408_8634223_421502869_n.jpg

what about after large playdates...you par up some of the boys with some of the girls....whomever seem to get along the best.....there might be some of the boys more intent of being with the girls...and some of them who don't care so much.....get two groups that "fit" better....

That is what I am trying to figure out, My girls are majorly bonded, and the boys that live with them have become bonded to them.

I am going to try a few things, the 3 jerks are not really bonded with anyone lol since they fight them all but not sure what to do.
I am going to try a few play dates till it settles down then I will figure out where to go from there. The first one is just ugly anyway.

Back