-

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to give my boys both. They seem to drink more, with the bowl, but they also enjoy playing in it and being goofy (Ryder will always but his toy in the bowl, always, no matter what) So I make sure they have a bottle, because I feel that is a cleaner source of water, and they still use it a lot, and it wastes less water.

I think the biggest issue with bowls is sanitation, but that's just me, and like I said I use both.

There's nothing wrong with it as long as the bowl doesn't become dry or dirty. I've been using a ceramic bowl myself up until very recently. :)

Dishes are totally fine as long as you stay on top of them, and backups are always a good idea. Some people will offer both dishes and bottles

I would offer both dishes and bottle, dish is good should the bottle jam up while you're gone. Bottle is good should the dish get tipped over or pooped in haha I only have water bottles, but we check ours every few days.

Roo said:
Any time I ever tried a water dish, my ratties would immediately fill it with fluff.

D:

That's typically the problem I have. Apparently they like their fleece blankies wet.

I'm using a water dish with my boys. A plastic bottle came with their cage, but it leaked from day one and I haven't really been in a rush to try to get it replaced. I wash and refill the bowl as part of my morning routine, then potentially any number of times during the day when one or both of them decides to sit with their bum poised over the bowl while they clean themselves. I'd say the pros and cons kind of even out - even if I switch to a bottle, I'll be checking the bottle as many times a day as I currently check their bowl. The boys seem to prefer the bowl, though, they do like to "play" in it, and I've even seen them dip their hands in there to clean their heads/faces with. I might get a bottle as back-up, though, in case someone dirties the water while I'm at work - but I don't know if they'd even notice. The only incident I've had with it was when Vin decided to drag his fleece blankie along with him to get a drink, and all of the sudden I had a thirsty rat, an empty bowl, and a soaking wet blankie.

I always suggest to have two bottles and a bowel. So if one bottle craps out, you still have the other one and the dish is good for playing in and cleaning :)

I have a bottle and a hanging trough that was supposed to be a feeder dish for another cage. The hanging trough is really nice because it's up on the third level, so it doesn't get unsanitary as quickly as a bowl might. However, I may add a large, shallow bowl for them to play in now that the weather is warming up. :)

TorachiKatashi said:
The only incident I've had with it was when Vin decided to drag his fleece blankie along with him to get a drink, and all of the sudden I had a thirsty rat, an empty bowl, and a soaking wet blankie.

:lol: Too cute! They're always doing funny, silly little things. :giggle:

It is important to have at least 2 or 3 sources of water in the cage and check them daily,
especially in warm or hot weather.
Ratties die every year because their water bottles clog up or because they run out of water.

I use both water dishes and several water bottles in the cage.

I use both bowls and bottles. Mine get their water dishes filthy in no time flat. I have to clean and refill them twice a day; I would do it more often, but I am usually gone in the daytime. Mine will use the bottles, too. I have had mishaps with bottles in the past (leaks, etc), and I have had them tip over or put cloth in their bowls, so I only feel safe if there are several sources of water in the cage.

When I first brought my rats home, they wouldn't use the bottle. I had to "teach" one of them, by holding the little ball in at the bottom with my finger, and then he'd drink...after a day or so, he just needed me to get it started and hold my finger there in case he needed help again...it took him 4 or 5 days to be able to do it himself consistently. Silly baby rat.

They like the cheapest bottle I've seen though. I bought it as a back up, but they favoured it over the pricier one I bought, so I recently got a second cheapie one. They're the smallest size of just plain "super pet" plastic bottles, I think 2.99, maybe 3.99 each. I have two of them on my 3 rats' cage and change them out every day and they're never even half empty.

I might have left them with bowls except they were always using the water dish as bath water, or they'd tip it over, or they'd just fill it with crap. Always within a couple seconds, so it didn't seem like a reliable long-term solution for my guys.

Just thinking about it though, a bottle sounds a LOT more sanitary...and just more reliable long term. And yah, they really should have more than one water source, just for safety.

Back