17 months, chance of c-section?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonsmom

A "friend" on Facebook posted about her 17 month old female rat that needs a new home because her males keep scaring her. None of them are fixed and have been living together for 2 weeks.

I wasn't planning on taking anymore females, but strongly considering it. I was supposed to be getting 2 old males but the owners stopped responding.

My two main concerns are time and the female being older. We're expecting a baby of our own in 5 weeks. So I won't have as much time as I have right now. But I'm mostly concerned about her needing a c-section. There are no vets around me that can do one if she needs it. So she may be better off with someone who is near a good vet.

Is it a high chance of her needing one or having trouble raising the litter or other issues? From what I was told she has never had a litter before. Her sister died and the owner put her with the males.

You probably mean an e-spay? If her health is decent then she should safely be able to have either, the spay or the litter. BUT getting her away from the males asap is paramount as if
She's not pregnant the longer she stays ghe more likely it is

You probably mean an e-spay? If her health is decent then she should safely be able to have either, the spay or the litter. BUT getting her away from the males asap is paramount as if
She's not pregnant the longer she stays ghe more likely it is

Sorry yeah e-spay is what I meant I think. I'm not familiar with pregnant rats/babies at all. There are no vets around me that will do it, so she'd have to have the litter. I can get her right away, and maybe, hopefully she didn't get pregnant.

The owner is awfully stupid. Putting males and females together and expecting nothing to happen. She said the girl is otherwise healthy, though I won't know for sure until I see her. From the pictures she looked fine.

Back