10 New Babies a Complete Surprise!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandmaMeatball

Hi all!

Sorry to jump right in without a real intro in the intro thread, but my roommates and I are in a quandry.

Meatball, a hairless rat my roommate adopted about 2 or 3 weeks ago, had babies not 2 hours ago. Apparently she was preggers when my roommate got her and we didn't know. An hour or two ago, we were hangin' out in the living room, and my roommate needed to get ready for class. She walked into her room and flipped out - 6 babies sat in the cage squeaking. Over the course of like a half hour, 4 more were born. We THINK there's ten, there might be 11, maybe.

I ran to my computer and have been looking up things about hairless rats, which is kind of hard to find. Instead, I found a few thorough articles about rats, how they breed, how to raise babies, whatever. In other words, we know the basics now, and I printed a nice 15 page packet of info for everyone to look over.

However, it doesn't cover everything.

So that's why i happily stumbled upon this forum - I have a couple questions and we might have more:

My roommate keeps Meatball in a glass/acrylic aquarium, I think it's 10 or 20 gallons, with white Carefresh bedding, a soft bed, a water bowl, and a food bowl. We are all in college and live in a 4/2, so affordable suggestions would be great.

1.) Should we change the bedding? I've read that fibers and cotton could suffocate the babies or strangle them as they roll around in it.

2.) Should we get a heating pad? To keep them warm. I'm afraid any heating might burn the babies, and there are 10 of them, so they should be warm right?

I am not the owner of the rat, but we're all helping out with this. In fact, I think I might be giving this GrandmaMeatball account info to my roommate so she can ask questions herself on here as she has them. n_n I'm very grateful for your help! Thanks!

Welcome! From what I've learnt here, she should be ok in the tank with the babies for now but ideally needs to be in a cage when they're weaned and boys separated etc.

Carefresh is fine, maybe some paper towels so Meatball can make a nest - don't worry about heating, she'll keep them warm as long as she can build a nest! You're right about fibers and cotton but fleece may be ok?

Also make sure the mom is getting plenty of protein in the way of scrambled eggs, baby cereal and ensure, to keep her energy, strength and nutrition levels up for herself and the bubs - don't forget fresh veggies too ^_^

I have no experience with hairless rats, but no rat should be kept in a tank. Especially a 10 or 20 gallon, that's TINY for them, and doesn't provide adequate ventilation.

As for warmth, the babies should be fine, I think. With the heat of momma.

As for the bedding, all my rats are kept on fleece. You could put some fleece scraps (try the dollar store, they have fleece blankets, then just cut them up) in for momma to make a nest in.

I would highly suggest reading around on the forum and looking at good baby-safe cages.

Paper towels are perfect for the wee ones, when they and can be moved back onto carefresh soon.

An external heating source shouldn't be needed, they do a good job of staying together and mom will help keep them warm.

As Argent said, the tank is okay for now, but they are not recommended for rats on the whole and Meatball will need to be upgraded to a cage, especially when the babies start really motoring around. She was also right on the note that you'll want to supplement mom with some extra protein while lactating.

Thank you guys so much! I'll relay this to mah roomie!

I'll look into fleece. I heard it's great bedding for guinea pigs and since it's not stringy, and reusable, it might help keep cost down. Is this accurate?

Yeah, the tank seems small for her, I'll relay that too!

Oh also - What would be a good cage for a hairless rat? I read open cages might be too cold. And the kind with a holey bottom could get their feet and tail stuck. D: A suggestion with a decent price would be awesome! Of course, we won't skimp just because of money - the rat comes first! We'll take any suggestions, just...you know, we're price conscious. ._.

Edit: Oh cool! Does the fleece need to be 100% polyester? or some similar?

Hairless rats should be kept in pairs like any other rat, they should not live alone. So it would be best to keep one of the female babies once they are weaned for a companion for the mom. They do ok in cages as long as they have a friend to keep them warm and lots of fleece :D and have a good diet like Lab block food examples are Harlen,Oxbow,Extrusions,or Mazuri Rodent Breeder 6F i think. Hairless rats eat more then normal haired rats. They should not be eating a seed mix.

When they are 5 weeks old age separate the males from the mom and other baby females. Females can stay with mom till they find a home.

GrandmaMeatball said:
Oh also - What would be a good cage for a hairless rat? I read open cages might be too cold. And the kind with a holey bottom could get their feet and tail stuck. D: A suggestion with a decent price would be awesome! Of course, we won't skimp just because of money - the rat comes first! We'll take any suggestions, just...you know, we're price conscious. ._.

Edit: Oh cool! Does the fleece need to be 100% polyester? or some similar?

Fleece is wonderful and re-usable, just wash it and go! Open cages are fine for hairless rats, but yes wire flooring isn't good for any rat.

Make sure that you keep one or two of the female babies, as rats should never be housed alone, they need the company of other rats!

Something like this would be good for a pair of female rats: http://www.number1petcentre.com/cgi-bin ... 7search%27

Just make sure that whatever you chose has levels for climbing, good air circulation, and can comfortably house the number of rats you plan on keeping. This is the cage calculator that I use: http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information ... alculator/

Make sure you don't feed them a seed mix, pick a good lab block, like the ones lilangel has suggested. Also, be sure to give mom lots of yummy foods as she's nursing! Try scrambled eggs!

Edit to ad: As you guys are living on a student budge, I'd highly suggest looking at Craig's List or Kijiji for used cages appropriate for rats :)

Hi! :wel5:
So glad you came here , these people will definitely answer any questions you have and will make sure you get the best advice for your rattie friend!!!
This may be repeating some previous answers but here is my 2 cents! :wink2:
1) The tank is great for a nursery part time ! It is baby safe (they cannot escape) and warm. However , tanks can get TOO warm , so keep an eye on it. The babies will grow FAST they will be ready to be moved into a real cage within 2-3 weeks. That's were they would be most happy :) I have a " my super pet " cage. You can find an adequate one for less than 100$ new or , search around on craigslist or other means of finding a used one for as little as 20$
2) You should seriously consider keeping one or more of the female babies for the mom. They can keep her company and it is also really cool having generations of rats in the same cage , it is special :heart: Rats WILL live longer if they have friends :D
3 ) Don't forget to separate males and females! Baby brothers and sisters will mate as early as 4-6 weeks!

I hope everything goes well for you and your roomates! Please post pictures ASAP as we would all LOVE to see them :D And if you have any more questions about being a new momma / auntie / grandma to these little bubs :D

Dollar stores sell fleece for cheap. Also, keep an eye out on kijiji for suitable cages for when Meatball and friend(s) are ready for a real grown up rattie cage.
Wire bottom are not the problem with rats, especially if you plan on covering it with fleece.
A cage needs to have a base of 30 x 18, and with some height to allow climbing and levels. But all this is after babies are weaned. They are safer in the tank for now.
For mom right now, eggs, tuna, chicken... lots of protein!

Do not use any bedding that contains threads for the first two weeks as threads can get twisted around tiny limbs or necks.
Seperate boys from mom and sisters at 5 weeks. Girls stay with mom until at least 6 weeks.
Feed mom a good quality lab block, daily vegs, and items containing extra protien such as baby cereal mixed up with soy infant formula, ensure or water, a bit of boiled egg, etc.
If you are using a water dish, keep the level low in case a baby ends up in it.

No heating pad, mom will bury babies to keep them warm.
You will want to check the babies for milk bellies within 24 hours to make sure theyare getting fed.
(pic of milk belies: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2551&p=38185&hilit=milk+bellies#p38185 )

If you do a search, you will find many threads on here about the care of mom and babies as they grow.
For example; viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10545&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=milk+bellies

You will need to have a large cage with small bar spacing for mom and babies by the time the babies are 14 days old .... their eyes wil open and they will need lots of room. (Keep your eyes open for used critter nations, ferret nations and martins R695s)
Check out the habitat section to see cage ideas. (Powder coated - paint is baked on, foot print at least 30 inches by 18 nches, height with levels, and at least 4 cubic feet in size, the rule is at least 2 cubic feet per rat ... so 6 cubic fet would would be better because if mom is alone you need to keep at least 2 baby girls ... babies need another baby to play with)

Back