10% Baytril ... dosing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglycupcake

Before I actually start Lux on Baytril, I want to know if this dosing guide ( http://www.ratballs.com/RatTails/Tails106-c.html ) is good to follow, and whether I should follow the 5mg/kg recommendation or the 10mg/kg. She's lost a little bit of weight since I last weighed her (gotta find that scale!!), but I would say she's probably 350g now (will double check later). How much should I be giving? I've noticed that the dosing for 300g and 400g are the same (0.02cc) for 5mg/kg...

This was the planned I've worked out, and I just wanted to get some feedback before I actually go through with it. I'm going to have her on a slightly higher dose for the first couple of days, then bring it down for the rest of the month. So I'd give 0.03cc for the first two days, then 0.02cc for the rest of the treatment (diluted of course).

Thanks in advance!!

Don't use the 5 mg/kg dosing, its only for very mild or preventative dosing. Use the 10 mg/kg instead.

You have 10% baytril injectable? This is 100 mg/ml. It must be diluted. How are you planning on giving it to your rat?

I'll work out a real dose with her weight of 350 grams in the meantime.

at 100 mg/ml you would dose her at .04 cc (.035 cc rounded up), but it really should be diluted to half that. and then her dose would be .07 twice a day.

Thanks! :)

I was planning on mixing whatever the dosage was, 0.04cc in this case, and fill the rest of the syringe with strawberry ensure, for a full 1cc. Then squirt it on a square of bread.

Does that sound alright?

That's a lot of mix for them to have to take. I would try to not make it so they have to take so much. Also, the Baytril may bind to some of the minerals in the Ensure. A lot of people prefer using Strawberry Quik or a homemade syrup to dilute meds with.

If you put up to an equal amount of Strawberry Nesquick that should cover the bitter taste. You may not need that much. I don't measure; I just add a couple of drops until the mixture is very red.

Back