1 Week Old Babies have mites--Help--

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratlove

I currently have a nursing momma in our rescue, which had mites before she gave birth. I was unsure that she had mites but today i am positive as i saw buggies on the babies. I am at a loss for what to do to treat momma and the babies. I have searched high and low and seems like everyone has a different thoughts on mites and young babies. I have been to the vet, he suggested i treat everyone with Ivermectin and also told me that it would be fine to give to momma, well i am not so sure about this.

Which is why i wanted to post and get everyone's opinions for 1 week old babies that have mites and momma. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As i am worried what effect it will have on the babies if any. I have heard that you can treat them once they are 2 weeks, but like i said i have heard many others to.

if you can SEE the buggies than it's lice. If it's scabs you see, than it's mites...

I'm pretty sure you can't treat anyone for mites until they're 4-5 wks?
BUT!!!!
If it's lice, than you can treat EVERYONE with olive oil! You pour some olive oil into a dish, and gently coat mama, and bubs. This will only kill the live lice, by suffocating them. The nits/eggs will survive. Although when I did it I never had to treat anyone again...

Good Luck!
:wink2:

Thank you very much for your reply. That is what i was thinking as i saw them on the babies as they don't have much hair right now. It was like the bugs had there heads stuck into the babies skin. It almost looked like they where sucking blood and they looks a little red, as i pulled some of them off the babies.

So i wonder if it wouldn't hurt to give them all a oil bath. I guess my next question would be is if all the rats have the buggies will Ivermectin treat those to?

I'd use revolution ... and then repeat it in a month when mom and babies are old enough to be treated too ...
I think that picking off the lice, olive oil bath/wipe down? for mom and babies, and cleaning is the way to go for mom and babies until the babies are old enough.

Yea i have been hearing about revolution, will that get rid of the lice? Also my vet had told me to give Ivermectin so everyone got there first meds last night of that so i dont want to mix meds. Should i just give the Revolution to momma and the babies when they are old enough and keep going on the Ivermectin with the others?

I am going out here soon and am going to pick up some olive oil and give them a bath in it when i get home. Now should i do all the rats or just momma and the babies?

Thanks for asking! The babies are doing wonderful! I have to say the Olive Oil works wonders for babies and momma! There has been no bugs on the babies or momma that i have seen since there bath. :D
I plan to give them all another Oil bath in 1 week, just until i can treat the babies.

Back