1 month after neuter, no real change :/

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

Most of my crazy boys settle down within a couple of weeks after a neuter. Moose and Mo were neutered 7/31. Here we are over a month later and Moose is still batsh*t crazy. He immediately puffs up when I let him out on the floor, and even after I let him see and smell my hand before touching him, he still jumps and tenses up when I try to pet him. I can feel his muscles tense a lot when I hold him. He did NOT used to be this way; as a youngster he loved attention. He is a sweet boy, but his body still seems to be consumed by the hormones.

He has also gained close to 100g since the neuter :shock: And his behavior is worrisome. All he does in the cage is either huddle over the bowl and stuff his face for 20 - 30 minutes at a time, or lay on top of his igloo staring into space. He is 1.5ish years old, quite active at playtime or if he hears the treat jar. When he is on top of his igloo sometimes he seems to sleep with his eyes open, he'll get very startled if I touch him, or seem not to hear me when I speak.

I thought he was "off" before the neuter, but figured he was mostly just kind of miserable with his raging man urges. He still seems very glum now. Huffy and puffy while out (but still active and busy), very tense, and otherwise kind of lifeless in the cage. Took advantage of the free post op recheck and Dr. P did his usual thorough physical exam and he looks good. The neuter healed fine, and he is otherwise okay.

His brother, on the other hand, is doing wonderfully. Within a week of the neuter, Mo was obviously calmer. He is now a lot more confident and relaxed, and it's been a great overall change for him so I'm really glad we got it done.

I feel adding these guys to another group would help them both - they love each other but bicker constantly, so could probably use some pals to mix it up with. But intros are out with Moose still being a butthead when he smells other rats.

His vacant staring makes me wonder about PT, but he did this prior to the neuter and after, with no real progression of any kind of symptoms. He just doesn't seem happy and it bums me out :/

I'm sorry Moose still hasn't come around. Perhaps another month will make the difference. You wonder how much of it is hormones and how much is learned behaviour. It may take him a while to let go.
Perhaps girls would be better for him than other boys too. If the girls are spayed then they shouldn't cause too much of a ruckus.
Then again, people have different mental illnesses. Is it so out of the question that a rat may have a mental illness too?

I considered mental illness too Joanne. Where's a rat shrink when you need one?

He's a social nice guy, just can't seem to overcome his physical reactions to threats.

Unfortunately, I am not taking in any more rats unless absolutely necessary; my vet and I believe the myco or some other bac in my colony has developed a anti ab resistance over the years. Not confirmed, but the only resp we've seen over the past year was strictly lower rest or pneumonia with very fast developing pulm abs. 4 deaths, two more doing poorly now. Cultures have failed due to abs already in their systems. Unless we find something that's effective, we both agree it may be best to let my colony pass away over the next few years, and then a break, and hopefully this crap will die out with it. Long way of saying I think Moose might love a couple of girl friends, but I don't feel good about bringing newbies into my home now :/

He has at least stopped rubbing up on furniture. So that's *some* progress at least.

You are right. I'll just have to give him more time, and limit his stressors in the meanwhile. I have only had about 6 rat neuters done so haven't much experience; just because the first few worked quickly doesn't mean they all happen so fast.

I've had males take 3 months to settle completely down. Best thing you can do for him is keep him on a routine if you can. At his age, it's normal with the staring out while chilling on the igloo.

I've had males take 3 months to settle completely down. Best thing you can do for him is keep him on a routine if you can. At his age, it's normal with the staring out while chilling on the igloo.

3 months? Wow. Okay, I will definitely be a little more patient with him. Thanks for sharing that info.

The staring thing weird me out. I swear he sleeps with his eyes open. I will call his name, wave my hand slowly in front of him, even held out a treat by his nose and at times get no reaction; then I touch him and he practically jumps out if his skin. It's a tad creepy...

Back