Seoul Virus

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Some information about what is currently known.
Many rescues in Canada are shutting their doors to new rats until more information is known about the situation in the USA and how widespread it is.

(I believe that this virus has been found in the past in wild rat colonies living in some large USA cities, and is also found in Europe and Asia)

Quote from Shelagh Hall:

SEOUL VIRUS

At this point, I am sure even here in Canada people have seen the articles for Seoul Virus discovered in the US. The strain of hantavirus that has been found for the first time in pet rats in the US was first discovered by a doctor in a hospital who tested his sick patient for hantavirus and it came back as Seoul virus, a very rare virus. This rattery in Wisconsin and 2 bigger ratteries in Illinois were the initial starting point for a CDC investigation. Unfortunately with ratteries swapping rats amongst themselves the CDC is now tracking back trying to find the “patient zero” and also to stop the spread. A lot of ratteries have been exposed, and are in lockdown while testing is done on their rats. The sad fact is if the human tests positive for Seoul, or even some of the rats test positive ALL the rats will be humanely euthanized to stop the spread. The virus is persistent in rats, often they show no symptoms and they can infect people (thankfully there’s no person to person infection). Most people will show no symptoms or will have mild symptoms but the immuno-compromised can get quite ill and there’s even a 1% mortality rate.

A LOT of ratteries are shutting down in the US, testing on their own just to make sure, as it really is the safest and most ethical/responsible thing to do.
I myself am going to be shutting things down, just in case some rattery in Ontario has decided to import from one of these many affected ratteries in the US (at last count they are looking at 12 states now) Eventually the CDC will have the total picture and we will know if there’s any issues in Ontario but until then, no more in or out after today.
There are facilities who can blood test or possibly even urine test for Seoul antibodies in rats but as of now the CDC is ensuring their tests are completely accurate. Once I have further information I will add to this post. Ask any questions and I will attempt to get answers for you.

Quote: At present the states the authorities are "looking into are Illinois, Wisconsin, Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Utah."

Quote: ... from what I understand the real issue is IF the breeder or owner tosses out litter from a cage clean, a wild rat gets into the bag and is exposed then the wildies will spread it like wildfire. The rats continue to shed this virus possibly infecting the humans around them, all their life so they sadly have to end those lives to stop the spread.

I created this post to inform people who weren't aware at all, or had a lot of misinformation. This is just meant to be a preliminary post and as soon as I know more I will add it.

A vet in this are (Illinois) mentioned something to my mom that she should warn me about some disease that is spreading from rats to humans and is fatal. Is this the one?

It might be but it is not normally fatal
My understanding is that most people are not affected, that some might become a bit under the weather, and that some immune supressed people that catch it may become ill and need hospitalization. I believe that sometimes immune supressed people may die.

Quote from Shelagh Hall:

SEOUL VIRUS

...... The sad fact is if the human tests positive for Seoul, or even some of the rats test positive ALL the rats will be humanely euthanized to stop the spread. The virus is persistent in rats, often they show no symptoms and they can infect people (thankfully there’s no person to person infection). Most people will show no symptoms or will have mild symptoms but the immuno-compromised can get quite ill and there’s even a 1% mortality rate. ....... [end Quote]

I have read that this virus is common in Asia and the UK, that it is in the wild population and people just live with it.

Here is a site https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/outbreaks/seoul-virus/index.html

From what I have read, it seems that rats suspected of having this virus (they are often not bothering to wait until test confirms the virus is present) in the USA seem to be being killed - often in very inhumane and painful ways.

Last edited:
Everyone needs to go to ratguide.com and click the Seoul virus link on main page. Then scroll to the links and click on FAQ from CDC link. The most current information is there.

Most people who had to deal with rat blood testing or euthanasia are saying the vets and people involved are very kind and sympathetic. They are set up for humane euthanasia and blood draws.
There seems to be 3 suggested methods if a rat/human comes back positive.
1) depopulated the entire rattery
2) with all positive rats then the rest of the rats live in extreme quarantine (very difficult)
3) euthanizing all positives, rest of rats go into quarantine, tested again and those positives euthanized and rest tested later. By then there should be no more positives. I think that the 2nd and 3rd tests have to be paid by owner/breeder.

no, I don't but I too would like to know more about what is happening with this virus here in Canada. I imagine it has effected many ratteries in Ontario and likely other provinces as well, since it has been spread to many areas by breeders exchanging rats for breeding

Last edited:
Newspaper article in Ontario that includes an interview with the rattery owner

For more information on this virus see https://cnphi.canada.ca/gts/pathogen/5328?labId=1021 , ratguide.com and https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/outbreaks/seoul-virus/index.html

Waterloo March 2017 Seoul virus.jpg

Kitchener march 2017 virus p 2.jpg

Thanks for sharing that, SQ!

I called the store our granddaughter's aunt purchased Milo from and asked if they or their rat supplier had had their critters tested. The fellow I talked to seemed unaware of the outbreak, but he asked for details and it sounds like he may be genuine about looking into it further.

Back