Getting the right set up

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmyRatties

Hello!

So on November 3, 2014 I adopted two boys, Rudy and Plumpkin. Soon after I bought a martin cage The Rat Cabin (R-670) ( http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/ ) the size is 24" x 14" x 24" and at the time when measuring it in my room I felt like it would be the best size since I am taking them from college to home to college.

Here's the link to my behavioral question which I wonder if its linked to their change in location (http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31765)

Well of course they're growing fast (they were between 4-6 weeks when I adopted them) and now its starting to seem smaller and smaller. I'm thinking of getting the The Rat Lodge (R-680) 30" x 18" x 24" just because it gives them more room. And its the biggest I can get without getting too large to move around.

Also I was wondering what do you have in your cage to keep your boys entertained while they're in there? They don't seem very interested in any toys I put in there and seem to be sleeping most of the time when I'm away and even when I'm home they'll be sleeping unless I'm about to take them out.

Also another question is what do you clean your cage with? i was using seven generation to just wipe down the bottom pan when I would change the bottom. But since bringing them home my mom was using clorox disinfecting wipes (I brought them home for thanksgiving break and so they were here a week and a half before I came back home for winter break). I told mom I don't want to use it anymore since I'm afraid its too strong (even when we wait until it evaporate). And I started another forum to ask about their behavior change.

But anywho I was looking for suggestions on what to put in their cage to help keep them active and if it would be better for me to get the bigger cage? And I know bigger is better but with having to take it down every time I go back to college i was wondering if maybe keeping it small until the summer when they're bigger would be a good idea?

Thank you and I just want to make sure my ratties are healthy and happy :)

Here are some pictures of their current cage (excuse the mess I am just getting back home and so all my things are every where).

The two toys on the top are little ferret tunnels I let them play in when they're out. They'll stay in them for a minute and then get bored and go to other things :/ But this is their whole cage
IMG_0134_zps88da2716.jpg

IMG_0135_zpsa0c5187c.jpg

I know its crowded but I put their little wood home there so it'll be easier for them to get into the hanging home. Although they seem to prefer the tiny wood home over the hanging home.
IMG_0136_zps13641f4c.jpg

I use to have the litter box on the other end but since being home they seemed more comfortable with it being a little more 'covered' so I moved the food and water to that side and the litter there.
IMG_0137_zpsf8269d71.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not too familiar with martins, but based on your pic it looks big enough for two. But hopefully someone who knows that cage will weigh in.

As for their sleeping - makes tend to be lazier than girls as they get older. Keeping them on a routine will help - if playtime is around the same time every day, they adjust and be ready and awake for that time.

Do you have anything for them to chew? Mine love to sit inside cardboard boxes and shred them. They also like Snack Shack logs - not sure where you are located but Petsmart carries them, as well as online stores I'm sure. Endless chewing fun. I also give them apple tree sticks to chew.

Since there are just two, thru may be a little less active - seems like with 3 or more there is always one awake and pestering his siblings.

If you are getting a martins, I would strongly suggest the Rat Skyscraper (R-695), powder coated .... galvanized absorbs dirt, urine etc
It has the same base size you are looking at but is a much better cage. Anything smaller then this is too small and a waste of money imo

I covered the full level with a thick piece of linoleum cut to fit
I covered the small balconies with dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and cable tied on. The edge of the trays helped contain urine and the ridges provided traction so they did not slip. This worked well on the levels and was easy to replace when needed (or chewed), etc

Put the cage together using hundreds of cable ties as the c-rings will rust

A rat cage needs to have a base of at least 30 in by 18 in, and height with levels.
The R695 is 36 in tall, but can be moved around .... a bit awkward but I never had a problem.
Another option is a one or two section Midwest critter nation cage

Last edited:
I clean cages with diluted white vinegar in a spray bottle, and rinse with water in another spray bottle.
Hydrogen peroxide also is good for disinfecting cages.

Pans etc can also be cleaned with a mild dish soap, then rinsed well, and dried
I use Sunlight detergent.

As for cage items:
- Always have at least 2 or 3 sources of water in a cage (water bottles can get clogged and dishes can be upset) and at least one of these needs to be a water dish

- I would suggest corner litter boxes - I used them on the balconies and full level of martins cages (a unscented paper based kitty litter in the litter boxes)
- a 12 inch diameter solid wheel like a silent spinner
- chewable medium size "cardboard" tubes - can be attached to the side of the cage with cable ties (mediumNatural Corn Husk Tubular Medium, or a medium Chewbular Play Tube, etc)
- a 12 or 15 inch piece of 3 in diameter drainage pipe hung on the side of the cage - the rest of the pipe can be cut into short pieces as well, use elbow and T connectors to connect them and use in play area
- a large Snak Shak Activity Log
- boxes to chew and hide in
- large Critter Space Pod
- hammocks
- a house - such as a Medium Snap Together Inn
- logs that form a half circle to climb on and under & chew, such as Tropical Fiddle Sticks

- hang a roll of toilet paper for them to decorate the cage with - will make a mess but they will have fun
- put treats in an empty toilet paper roll and bend both ends shut - they will play with it, chew it to get treats out

There should be many ideas posted in the habitat section ... look at the pics of how people have their cages set up
Also here for ideas http://www.chinchilla.ca/product.php?menuID=2&catID=12 and http://www.dapper.com.au/toys.htm

hope this helps

Last edited:
I had heard that anything below a 685 is too small for full time housing. Lack of spaces could be causing some issues between the boys.

As for what you put inside the cage it looks like you have lots of good stuff. I couldn't tell if you have any wooden toys or something for them to chew? Lava ledges are popular. Foraging toys might encourage some play. Boys can be lazy and even some girl rats are just simply not interested in toys. I would provide a wheel. The Silent Spinner, Stealth Wheel and the Wodent Wheel are the best wheels but regardless it needs to be at least 12" in diameter. If you choose to purchase a wheel be careful as some are not appropriate for rats.

Because rats have such sensitive respiratory systems what you use to clean the cage is crucial. I personally use vinegar and am careful to rinse afterwards. Hydrogen peroxide is another excellent option.

I'm not too familiar with martins, but based on your pic it looks big enough for two. But hopefully someone who knows that cage will weigh in.

As for their sleeping - makes tend to be lazier than girls as they get older. Keeping them on a routine will help - if playtime is around the same time every day, they adjust and be ready and awake for that time.

Do you have anything for them to chew? Mine love to sit inside cardboard boxes and shred them. They also like Snack Shack logs - not sure where you are located but Petsmart carries them, as well as online stores I'm sure. Endless chewing fun. I also give them apple tree sticks to chew.

Since there are just two, thru may be a little less active - seems like with 3 or more there is always one awake and pestering his siblings.

I've read that it's the minimum for two females but for males I'd need a bigger cage once they're full grown. I am getting a larger cage to keep at home so when we go home for breaks they'll have a bigger space. And then when i'm home for the summer i'll sell that one and just stick to the big one.

Since coming back to college we've had a pretty good schedule for the three of us :) they've finally started using the litter box almost perfectly. They are marking every where but I am getting them neutered soon (in case I adopt a female and just over all prevent fighting if I get a new male as well).

I have boxes and a role of toilet paper that they'll chew on. I am going to do some DIY projects to give them more but they do enjoy their wooden chew toys. We don't have petsmart or petco but we do have a tiny pet store so I need to go there and get more chew stuff.

They are very good at sleeping during the day, I'm usually busy with classes and work so they sleep a lot. I would love to add a third sibling one day :) and I may be adding my older male (our older female's cancer is growing again and we may not be able to remove this one this time. So now I need to worry about introducing the three of them, slowly, and see if Clarence will actually accept them this time).

Thank you for answering and I know i'm WAY late!

If you are getting a martins, I would strongly suggest the Rat Skyscraper (R-695), powder coated .... galvanized absorbs dirt, urine etc
It has the same base size you are looking at but is a much better cage. Anything smaller then this is too small and a waste of money imo

I covered the full level with a thick piece of linoleum cut to fit
I covered the small balconies with dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and cable tied on. The edge of the trays helped contain urine and the ridges provided traction so they did not slip. This worked well on the levels and was easy to replace when needed (or chewed), etc

Put the cage together using hundreds of cable ties as the c-rings will rust

A rat cage needs to have a base of at least 30 in by 18 in, and height with levels.
The R695 is 36 in tall, but can be moved around .... a bit awkward but I never had a problem.
Another option is a one or two section Midwest critter nation cage

I am actually planning on getting that and leaving it at home while I'm in college until this summer when they're bigger. That way I don't have to worry about moving my current one until I leave for summer break.

I usually just put towels down and they boys do good to pee on those plenty. They've finally (once we got back to college) started using their litter box regularly again.

And I am planning on getting the 30x18x36 (I was leaning towards the 24x14x36 because they enjoy climbing more than space and it would be easier to fit in. But at the same time I do prefer bigger and wider for the boys).

I clean cages with diluted white vinegar in a spray bottle, and rinse with water in another spray bottle.
Hydrogen peroxide also is good for disinfecting cages.

Pans etc can also be cleaned with a mild dish soap, then rinsed well, and dried
I use Sunlight detergent.

As for cage items:
- Always have at least 2 or 3 sources of water in a cage (water bottles can get clogged and dishes can be upset) and at least one of these needs to be a water dish

- I would suggest corner litter boxes - I used them on the balconies and full level of martins cages (a unscented paper based kitty litter in the litter boxes)
- a 12 inch diameter solid wheel like a silent spinner
- chewable medium size "cardboard" tubes - can be attached to the side of the cage with cable ties (mediumNatural Corn Husk Tubular Medium, or a medium Chewbular Play Tube, etc)
- a 12 or 15 inch piece of 3 in diameter drainage pipe hung on the side of the cage - the rest of the pipe can be cut into short pieces as well, use elbow and T connectors to connect them and use in play area
- a large Snak Shak Activity Log
- boxes to chew and hide in
- large Critter Space Pod
- hammocks
- a house - such as a Medium Snap Together Inn
- logs that form a half circle to climb on and under & chew, such as Tropical Fiddle Sticks

- hang a roll of toilet paper for them to decorate the cage with - will make a mess but they will have fun
- put treats in an empty toilet paper roll and bend both ends shut - they will play with it, chew it to get treats out

There should be many ideas posted in the habitat section ... look at the pics of how people have their cages set up
Also here for ideas http://www.chinchilla.ca/product.php?menuID=2&catID=12 and http://www.dapper.com.au/toys.htm

hope this helps

I've been using seven generation all purpose cleaner and let it air dry when cleaning the pan and i wipe it down after cleaning the bars.

They love their water dish and I have a bottle.

They have finally started using their litter box again. I think being at my house was a very different experience and they were kind of in the 'middle' of my room so I fee like they may have felt a little more exposed (there cage backed against my bed but still they didn't seem as comfortable). I personally am using the bottom of a small storage container

They have no earthly idea how to use the wheel so I am going to start teaching them with yogurt. Hopefully tonight, I keep putting it off but I've got to do it.

And thank you so much for all the suggestions! I have been doing several of them (and I do apologize for the very delayed reply) and they seem to be happy. I am going to do some DIY toys and forage ideas to give them things to do.

I had heard that anything below a 685 is too small for full time housing. Lack of spaces could be causing some issues between the boys.

As for what you put inside the cage it looks like you have lots of good stuff. I couldn't tell if you have any wooden toys or something for them to chew? Lava ledges are popular. Foraging toys might encourage some play. Boys can be lazy and even some girl rats are just simply not interested in toys. I would provide a wheel. The Silent Spinner, Stealth Wheel and the Wodent Wheel are the best wheels but regardless it needs to be at least 12" in diameter. If you choose to purchase a wheel be careful as some are not appropriate for rats.

Because rats have such sensitive respiratory systems what you use to clean the cage is crucial. I personally use vinegar and am careful to rinse afterwards. Hydrogen peroxide is another excellent option.

I'll hear squeaking here and there but they don't seem to be too bad. But I do believe when they're full grown buying the bigger cage is a must do. I'm ordering one now that'll stay at home while I'm in college. It'll make it easier to travel back and forth and then when I'm home for the summer I'll sell the smaller cage.

I've got the silent spinner wheel but they have no earthly idea of how to use it so I am finally going to teach them (with yogurt bribes :) ) hopefully it'll work since they're still youngish.

I've been using seventh generation and have been pushing my mom to use it. She has been and I think that's helped Chloe some but now that I'm in college I don't see her as much. But I did explain to mom that it's important to not use the strong stuff.

Thank you for replying! I apologize for taking weeks to answer!

Back