Talk to me about rescue/feeder rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMC

It sounds like they really need a home NOW or they will be killed.
Feeder/breeders are always a question mark as you do not know how much they have been handled or how they have been treated. You may have to put a lot of effort into convincing them you are OK, or they may be the most wonderful, loving rats around. One of my latest rats, Tabi, was a breeder. She is just amazing and is so friendly and interactive.
So would I rescue them? If I was looking for more rats and saw how much they needed a home - YES!

Looking on kijiji I came across this ad. What's wrong with people?? I want more boys and have for quite a while. But I've never brought home rescue rats like this, or rats intended for food. Is it a bad idea? What do I need to know before doing it?

4 L/XL male rats LIVE,
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-pets/barrie/4-l-xl-male-rats-live/1036252031

Price: $ 5.00

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

They are probably very handleable, as they are still alive. Any aggressive rats are just killed right away and not kept for breeding purposes. The feeder breeder may not care about the rats but does care about getting bitten.

Take them in, and if things are too much for you, I can be a fallback, if you feel you cannot handle the situation.

Some of my best rats have been feeder stock.

Last edited:
I'm going to contact the poster and see when I can pick them up. The ad mentioned they live in a tank with cedar and are fed "seed". Are there any extra health problems to look out for because of that?

I'm going to contact the poster and see when I can pick them up. The ad mentioned they live in a tank with cedar and are fed "seed". Are there any extra health problems to look out for because of that?

I take in plenty of rats that come from wretched situations and there's nothing you can do about their prior lives, so just concentrate on giving them the best you can from now on.

let us know how you do contacting this person and hopefully getting them? We'll help you with whatever we can.

There is only one left, I'm picking him up in an hour. The person seems very sketchy... Hope he's not in too bad of shape. When should I make a vet appointment for him to be looked over?

Following this. Glad you are picking up the last one, I am hoping he's at least friendly and healthy. And that he is in fact male... some people are dumb.

OK, I've got him and he is in fact a boy. The lady (who was very weird if I can say so...) said he will be 4 months next week. I haven't handled him yet, from what I can see he seems to be OK. I don't know how well he handles but he isn't afraid of my hand and doesn't bite when I stick it in. He hasn't had any mooshy stressed out poops either. Aside from reeking he seems to be just fine. But I have a concern. His colouring... I've read very briefly about high white and he is VERY white.

I am going to set him up a cage when my daughter goes down for a nap, then try and handle him.
Video here.... https://vid.me/A1V3

1.jpg

2.jpg

Ohh what a sweet little boy!! He looks very excited about his new circumstances, but he looks very friendly too :)

Don't worry about the high white, he's past the age of early onset (weaning) and he looks relatively healthy. Late onset is a remote possibility but for now he looks great!!!

Good rescue :D

How gorgeous! Congrats! Looks like he's healthy and happy to be home, considering he isn't just hiding in the corner of the carrier. I love the way he pushes the bedding with the little hands <3

I have him set up in a critter nation and he's running around like a mad man for at least a half hour. Must be a big improvement compared to the 10 gallon tank he was in :(. Poor boy.

I introduced him to one of the boys I already had (who was being beaten up by the others) and they are getting along great. I'm sitting beside the cage watching them and there hasn't been any sign of aggression. Bollie is usually very shy and hides from other rats but isn't hiding or showing any signs of fear. So maybe this boy will be a good match :D

Now he needs a name... Hmm.

He looks like my Molly black eyes mostly white, she has only two small black spots. I LOVE hm. So cute. GOod job on saving him, He looks good!

Congratulations on your newest addition! He looks so handsome. :heart:
I'm glad he is getting along with your 'outcast'. He will love having a nice clean house with lots of air flow. I'm happy you were able to scoop him up and give him a chance at a real life. :)

He is settling in really well. He's even been using the litter box and crawling on me. My other boy is a lot happier and energetic now. Instead of hiding when I take him out he is running around the couch with the new boy.

The lady I got him from had 3 females to get rid of as well. They were living with the boys for 11 days (separated today when I took the last boy). I can't stop thinking about them. I can't afford to spay them - the closest vet charges about $300 each. And I don't know what I would do with all the babies... I have a friend who would take them if they weren't pregnant but they most likely are.

It sounds like you have a win-win situation going on with your new boy. :)

It's sad to think about the rats left behind. Is there a vet further away that would do e-spays at a decent price because they are rescues? I drive over an hour to get my spays and neuters done because the vet is more experienced and she will give me a great price on bulk spays and neuters if I have a bunch of rescues to do.

Back