Red on Pika's Back

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velo

utuze4y6.jpg

Okay bad picture for now. But Pika has a red spot on her back. Thoughts? Havent given them strawberries or anything red. I thought lice maybe? But they aren't moving?

That is porphyrin. No buggies :) but they are covered now :) that happens when they sick, or weather change can bring it on as well.

Yup agree with hope my boys get it on them too from cleaning themselves, just watch for breathing problems or excess amounts of it

Sorry what I mean is keep an eye out for breathing issues and excess porphyrin, it would be signs of a respiratory issue that rats are prone too :) hope this helpsp

XD
Okay I figured it had to be one of the two. At least they thiught me chasing them with the revolution was some kind of game. :p

So do they just sneeze on each other and blow their noses on their buddies back? Or is it from grooming and they just cant get it off back there?

Thank you both though! :)

The-More-You-Know.png

It was pretty entertaining to think of the bigger girls using Pika as a Kleenex though too. :laugh:
I'm glad it's just pory though, I hate bugs. :suspicious:

You'll see that a lot more often on the light colored ratties isn't really anything to be concerned about unless its in a large amount and you see it coming out of their noses/eyes also in a large amount.

I think I was mostly taken off guard by it being on Pika, because her face/eyes/nose are always so clean and free of pory.

I think I was mostly taken off guard by it being on Pika, because her face/eyes/nose are always so clean and free of pory.

Cause she's wiping it off - and putting it on her fur :lol6: This is just the first of many things they will do to freak you out! I always forget that I give them raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries then freak about that bluish stains on their tails. Happens every freaking time!!! Think I would learn by now....

Watch her groom and it will all make sense...they wake up and start their big morning grooming by rubbing over their eyes and nose, curling to the side to groom their sides then back to the head, the porph is transferred to the inside of their wrists and paws, then the do the big scrub over the head and it transfers onto the back that way :D

Watch her groom and it will all make sense...they wake up and start their big morning grooming by rubbing over their eyes and nose, curling to the side to groom their sides then back to the head, the porph is transferred to the inside of their wrists and paws, then the do the big scrub over the head and it transfers onto the back that way :D

I love watching ratties...... they are just fasinating!

Gonna get out the popcorn and watch my little girlie groom in the morning then. :D

Bugs just really wig me out. At least I'm covered for now anyways, Revolution really is such a simple solution and great thing to have around. Still have two packs in the fridge. :3

Gonna get out the popcorn and watch my little girlie groom in the morning then. :D

Bugs just really wig me out. At least I'm covered for now anyways, Revolution really is such a simple solution and great thing to have around. Still have two packs in the fridge. :3

Sit and watch them eat - its awesome... especially apple chunks, they get right down to the skin and don't leave a mark...

Back