Brazilian Nuts???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Our boys eat better than us which was apparent from all the organic greens and nuts (just a few) we bought them today, but we're wondering can they have brazilian nuts? We got them some organic walnuts and almonds as a special treat, but just not sure on the others.

[s:3o1t2n4y]Yep, it's safe, but in moderation. Nuts are high in fat and protein. :)[/s:3o1t2n4y]

Edited to add:
Brazil nuts are toxic to rats!

jorats said:
Yep, it's safe, but in moderation. Nuts are high in fat and protein. :)

Vet told us no, there is something in there that is lethal to humans too in high doses. We only bought a small amount and as for the brazilian ones - I had only bought 15 one for each. He did say pecans, walnuts, and almonds are fine so we will stick with those.

dspch911 said:
jorats said:

Vet told us no, there is something in there that is lethal to humans too in high doses. We only bought a small amount and as for the brazilian ones - I had only bought 15 one for each. He did say pecans, walnuts, and almonds are fine so we will stick with those.

Do you know what is toxic in it? I did a quick google search and it appears a lot of people give it to their rats. But it would be good to know why your vet says not too.

jorats said:
dspch911 said:
jorats said:

Do you know what is toxic in it? I did a quick google search and it appears a lot of people give it to their rats. But it would be good to know why your vet says not too.

Selenium

Interesting on the nuts but every time I see the title I think of a crazy Brazilian person and this is the image that I get in mind LOL

http://gifs.gifbin.com/112010/1290603068_crazy-brazilian-murderer-interview.gif

1290603068_crazy-brazilian-murderer-interview.gif

Back