Meet Puce - My bumblefooted ex- foster (edited with pics!)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unepuce

This is a very overdue thread - it should have gone up on January 3. Better late than never, they say, so let me introduce my (then) bumblefooted foster, the beautiful Puce!

On December 13, Victoria asked me if I would be willing to foster a 1.5 year-old female with a bad pneumonia and a real bad case of bumblefoot. I did agree to take her in, but because of the Holidays logistics, she would have to move in after Jan 2, so she remained with her current foster 'til that date. I was a bit worried about the pneumonia, as I was told it was really bad, but most of all, I was downright scared about the bumblefoot - I don't know the first thing about bumblefoot!

On January 3, I met up with Puce's foster mom at the SPCA. She didn't know anything about rats, but she did wonders with Puce! I took home a gorgeous skinny blue girl with the softest coat you could imagine. Her pneumonia had improved a lot by then, and I am confident that I can manage it all right. Her feet were stabilized, and her right foot is actually looking good - I am hopeful we will get rid of the whole thing eventually. Her left foot though... :panic: At first glance, even my unknowledgeable self knew that it would never heal completely, and my readings afterwards confirmed my judgement - the bumble actually is larger than the width of her paw... it's like she has a big fat lentil stuck under her foot! :sad3:

So I started caring for that poor skinny girl, continuing with the former foster's treatment, which consisted of Baytril, Doxy, and Metacam twice daily, along with compresses of Witch Hazel water and application of Hibitane cream 3 times a day. Along the way, I got to fall in love with the cuddliest little hairy thing I have ever met. She is no kisser, but she would cuddle in my neck for hours, bruxing and boggling away as I would pat and scratch her. I hid those feeling deep down inside and tried to forget about them so I wouldn't be hurt if she had to move out eventually - I felt completely helpless and useless about the bumblefoot and was kind of expecting Victoria to tell me I was doing a horrible job and taking her under her much more knowledgeable wing.

Puce was scheduled for her follow-up appointment on January 15, and left for Victoria's place for 48 hours. During those 2 days, my mind was constantly coming back to Puce's future: 1) she would be declared adoptable and would remain a foster forever as nobody would want to adopt a sick older girl or 2) the shelter would have to make the decision to euthanize her because she would be too expensive and resource consuming to keep. In either case, she would end up ending her life with me, either as a foster or as my adoptee as I would never let the shelter euthanize that curious and loving soul! When I went to pick her up the next day, Victoria summarized the vet's comments and I knew right away I was adopting Puce - "requires treatment for life" is never good on a report for a rescue at a big shelter that needs to make choices. I told Victoria to get the adoption papers ready, and Puce is now officially with me! :joy:

[glow=red:lufq96dy]EDITED for pictures!!![/glow:lufq96dy]​

Hi Shackers!

Mom, can I go see what's out there?

Will you please be my forever home? :heart:

And my favorite picture... she had been home 3 days, and already trusted me enough to fall asleep against my arm while I was patting her... :heart: :heart: :heart:

I will be posting pictures of her bumblefoot in another post as I want to use this thread to keep track of progress (or regress...)

Last edited:
Aww how wonderful little Puce gets to live out the rest of her days in happiness and with the loving care she truly deserves.
I hope her bumble foot improves as much as possible so she can live comfortably.
I really look forward to photo's I bet she's a princess (I have a soft spot for blues) :D

I really love "failed fosters" If I was close to a rescue I would have a hard time fostering because I wouldn't be able to give them up. :nod: CONGRATULATIONS!! :joy: :joy:

Puce won the Rat Lottery when you took her in. I adore that pic of her cuddled into your arm...it makes me feel such a sense of comfort, trust and peace. I am sure this little girl is just soaking it all up. Congrats to both of you!!!!

Unepuce said:
And my favorite picture... she had been home 3 days, and already trusted me enough to fall asleep against my arm while I was patting her... :heart: :heart: :heart:
Awwwww, she loves you already! :heart:
Definitely a keeper - she is as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside!

Oh my what a beauty she is she looks just like my late Shyone.
Give her an extra cuddle and scritches from me. :heart:

lilspaz68 said:
Puce won the Rat Lottery when you took her in. I adore that pic of her cuddled into your arm...it makes me feel such a sense of comfort, trust and peace. I am sure this little girl is just soaking it all up. Congrats to both of you!!!!

About the Rat Lottery... I'm not so sure. She might have gone to Lilspaz's Heaven if I hadn't adopted her, so I keep thinking I won and she lost... :giggle:

About soaking it all up - I'm not up there in my story yet, but right now she is too nervous to really relax that way, even alone with me... :?

SarahA said:
Oh my what a beauty she is she looks just like my late Shyone.
Give her an extra cuddle and scritches from me. :heart:

I sure will !!! :nod:

Now... the heart of this thread - Bumblefoot.

Here are the first pictures I have of her feet, taken on Jan 2
0104---photo-de-odette-1-3.jpg

0104---photo-de-odette-2-4.jpg

She moved in with me the very next day.

She was on metacam, baytril, doxy (for her pneumonia), and we did compresses with Witch Hazel followed by application of Hibitane cream 3 times a day.

Then my first pictures, taken on Jan 9, same treatment
0109-b-5.jpg

0109-c-6.jpg

Then ten days later (Jan 19)
0119-1-7.jpg

0119-2-8.jpg

I then switched treatment and started using Blu-Kote once a day, and Soother Plus cream twice a day. Picture dated Jan 26
0126a-9.jpg

0126c-10.jpg

On Feb 2...
0202c-11.jpg

0202a-12.jpg

I am saving today's pictures for another post... there is a story (sad and happy) story to tell about those ones!

Today's pictures.

First, the story - I tried opening my DCN to my 2 groups yesterday, but at 3 am this morning, it turned sour between Puce and Emilie. Result - Puce got an ear bleeding without end and lost the crust on her bumblefoot. The good side to that sad story is - I got to see the bumblefoot and see that the Blu-Kote is working!!!

See for yourselves -

Photo from Jan 9 (crust removed by the vet for the exam)
0109-b-5.jpg

Photos from today (crust removed because of last night's fight)
0209-a-13.jpg

And the other foot...
0109-c-6.jpg

vs.
0209-b-14.jpg

and all this within 3 weeks of treatment! I now have hope that we might be able to get rid of it!!! :dance:

Wow Puce's feet are showing great improvement, I hope the treatment continues to work and she can live free from those horrid sores on her feeties.

That's fantastic Nancy!!! Good work *pat pat*

Just remember there is no cure for bumblefoot, you just want to get it down and more comfortable as best as you can :) It really does look a TON better :D

I'm so glad she ended up in your care. I wasn't able to see any photos in your first post for some reason, but that tiny bumble looks wonders better.

Back