Rescue of Two Baby Wild Mice-Released into the Wild Aug 30

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

OK, I just got a call from Nicole - she found two baby field mice, teeny tiny, but appear to have their eyes open. I have never taken care of mice. The plan is to raise them and then release them.
What do I need to do?
- make sure they pee and poop
- heat source that they can get away from
- food --> they checked on-line and apparently they should be fed kitten formula? When they can eat I am planning on trying them with baby cereal and then rat blocks.
Is their maturity in line with rats? At what age would they be good to release?
She will be bringing them by tomorrow supper time if they make it overnight.

I don't think it's recommended to release them if you hand raise them. They will not learn the necessary skills to survive in the wild.

Sexual maturity is pretty much the same as with rats. Same goes for syringe feeding - KMR or soy based infant formula. When they're that small, KMR is better because it's denser.

You need to keep them in a tank with a secure mesh lid. Wild mice often get out of cages suitable for domestic mice (.8 cm bar spacing) because they are so determined.

Instead of lab blocks, a seed mix may be better if you intend to release them. Mice don't seem to do as well as rats on lab blocks alone (their metabolism seems to be too fast) and seeds would be similar to their food source in the wild.

Thanks for the info! I really do not want to keep these babies once they have grown. I just don't have time for them. I have contemplated releasing them in an overgrown field near a water source, and then going and perhaps leaving food for them for the first while, giving them time to adjust.
I guess I was hoping mice were as instinctive as raccoons - raccoons can be hand-raised and released, but once again it is a gradual transition.

Squirrels and raccoons are very instinctive and fairly easy to re-introduce into the wild, I don't the same goes for mice. It'd be similar to raising a wild rat and then releasing it. I don't think they'd be killed by other mice if introduced as babies however but I'd be worried about other species.

Pictures of the mousie (there are two, but they look the same LOL)

IMG_0968_zpsb5017381.jpg

IMG_0967_zps44cbde06.jpg

I think they are probably at least 2.5 - 3 weeks old as their eyes are wide open, and they can jump a bit, and are not too wobbly. They seem to be pooping on their own, but I still cotton swabbed them - one pooped and one did not. They did take some licks of the KMR. Next is to find a seed mixture for them. I might have to wait until tomorrow as I think the pet stores close at 5pm.

They went to the cottage with me last night, and are still doing OK. They are licking up the KMR on their own, and I have seen them drinking some water too, but I have not seen any evidence of solid food consumption yet.
I went and got some different grasses to put in the container with them and gave them a little box to see if they would make a nest, but so far they just hang out in the box without any nesting materials.

More pics of the babies! I have named them Teeny and Weenie, because they are so teeny weeny!
They are quite fast, and I always lose one when handling them, so even one at a time is nerve-wracking! They are just so freaking adorable though!

IMG_0979_zpsd15caccf.jpg

IMG_0982_zpsc5fa9c7e.jpg

Did you know that baby mice are amazing acrobats? Check out this video, especially near the end. (I'm not sure if it is Teeny or Weenie! LOL

[BBvideo 450,375:10u1rh52]http://youtu.be/3vv03lenhGg[/BBvideo:10u1rh52]

I have to admit these babies are very entertaining! Good for laughs and awwwws. :cloud9:

Back