Charolette (June 3rd, 2011- November 23rd, 2011)-Added Pics!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aida

Charolette was my third rat, and the bestest friend I ever had. It broke my heart when she passed, and although I still cannot accept it, and am probably not ready to write this, I owe it to her and know that she cannot play peacefully at the rainbow bridge until I let all my tears out once and for all and let her go. No matter how much it hurts.

Charolette was a black dumbo self, daughter of a dumbo russian blue self and a dumbo mink berkshire. She was born on June 3rd, and I purchased her from a wonderful woman named Crystal, who takes wonderful care of all her rats, and bought her home on August 3rd.
June 3rd:

And... a little bit later:

And a little more later:

I saw Charolette for the first time on a Craiglist ad with this photo attached:

It was love at first sight. I knew that this was the rattie for me. I bought her home, and I think that she felt the same way about me, because she was already grooming me and bruxing on the way home. She was 2 months old at the time.

For a week or so she lived in a dog kennel thing(the carrying kind) as I searched for a good cage for her. It wasn't long before this smart little critter chewed a hole through it and got out. It was in the middle of the night, and she jumped on my bed, curled up on my face, and slept with me. I woke up and it took me a good hour to find the hole. The next night, I placed the cage on the highest shelf in my room. Two days after that, she simply jumped off and crawled in my bed again. She was a fearless daredevil, and even after I luckily found a 3-story ferret cage for her, she still found ways out, no matter how many exits I patched up.

November 22nd I had a friend over, so I didn't check on her much, only to say hello to her and Matilda, who was her new cagemate. It was at 12:30 a.m. that I took her out to say goodnight, and noticed that something was horribly wrong. Her fur was puffed up, she had horrible eye discharge, and she was all flabby and weak. I immidietly moved her to an isolation cage, she ate a bit of food, but layed the whole time. She was hardly holding herself up, mostly just resting her whole body.

Although I'm not religious, that night I prayed to every god I could think of and stayed up with her all night, not getting a wink of sleep. Everytime she slightly changed her position, hope flooded through me, but I was still terrified and unsure that she would make it till morning. She did, and I rushed her to the vet at 9 a.m.

They are not sure what was wrong with her, but we knew that she was anemic. She must have had some sort of internal bleeding, maybe from falling from a high shelf. I had to leave her at the vet's where she would get fluid and baytril injections, and be placed in a oxygen chamber. When the vet scooped her up into her arms, I looked at her and wanted to give her a kiss(the rat!), but decided that I'll be seeing her in a few hours.

Sadly, this was not so. At 5:05 p.m., for some weird reason, I called the vet office to ask how she was doing. I called exactly at the moment she took her last breath. I picked up her remains an hour later, and buried her in my garden along with a bear I knitted. She was only 5 months old.

Charolette,
you were the smartest, most beautiful, amazing, clever, brave, and cuddliest person I ever knew. Although I could only spend three months with you, it felt like a lifetime, and I felt as though I lost a sister. We were family, best friends, whatever you wanna call it. I love you to bits. I couldn't eat or sleep for three days after you died, and I was sick with sorrow, grief, and guilt. I wished so bad I had checked on you earlier, I wished I could have spent more time with you when I still had the chance, I wish I broke into the pharmacy next door to steal some baytril and given it to you Wensday night. The only thing that helps me is thinking that you're right here with me, watching over and trying to calm my heart. I know you can't be peacefull until I accept what happened, but it feels as though I never will be able to. There is no other rat alive today, before, or in the future like you, and I truly hope that there is a rainbow bridge witch we will cross together. I love you.

Your mommy, Aida.

It dosen't matter how long I make this, and I won't try and make it five pages, nor will I try and write fifty verse poems about it. Anyone who has ever lost a best friend knows how it feels, and it can't be put into words that everyone will understand, anyways. Because it's different for us all. All I can hope is that my sweetheart sees how much I love her, and understands and forgives me.

Godmother said:
I'm so sorry for the loss of your little Charolette. She was so young, and that makes it especially hard.
I didn't even realize it until a day or so after she died. I truly felt like a much, much longer time.

Thank you.

oh love, I'm so sorry. :tearful:

Only Heaven knows why your precious little gem was needed so desperately at the Bridge.

Hopefully, these questions will be answered when we see our babies again over the Rainbow. :rose:

Your beautiful little lady is still with you. She watches over you from her cloud and sends you kisses while you sleep. :love6:

I pray that she meets my boy, Roquefort. What famous friends those two would likely become. :heart: :rose:

jennifervb said:
oh love, I'm so sorry. :tearful:

Only Heaven knows why your precious little gem was needed so desperately at the Bridge.

Hopefully, these questions will be answered when we see our babies again over the Rainbow. :rose:

Your beautiful little lady is still with you. She watches over you from her cloud and sends you kisses while you sleep. :love6:

I pray that she meets my boy, Roquefort. What famous friends those two would likely become. :heart: :rose:
They probably already are. Thank you. :)

Thank you, guys. It makes me happy to know she's playing with al l of your past rats. :hugs:

Oh, I can hardley type through the tears, I am truely sorry for the loss of your beautiful little girl, did she eat well, I lost a bunny once, who kids got in my yard & feed her a plastic toy, I found her dead blood pooled at her rectum & chewed plasitic in the blood, your girl may have swallowed the plastic she chewed escaping & bleeding inside, never put a rodent in a plasitc cage, I am so sad this happened, always a full wire cage, hugs to you & also cages need to be placed at lower levels, so we are eye to eye with them. Read up on ratties & get you another darling rattie, they are the best pet ever, Hugs Phyllis alias the KansasratLady :heart:

Phyllis said:
Oh, I can hardley type through the tears, I am truely sorry for the loss of your beautiful little girl, did she eat well, I lost a bunny once, who kids got in my yard & feed her a plastic toy, I found her dead blood pooled at her rectum & chewed plasitic in the blood, your girl may have swallowed the plastic she chewed escaping & bleeding inside, never put a rodent in a plasitc cage, I am so sad this happened, always a full wire cage, hugs to you & also cages need to be placed at lower levels, so we are eye to eye with them. Read up on ratties & get you another darling rattie, they are the best pet ever, Hugs Phyllis alias the KansasratLady :heart:
Oh, she was only in that plastic for the first few days. That plastic would have had to stay in her system for 2 months if it were the cause of what hurt her, witch sounds really unlikely. The cage was always just placed on the floor, and it was wire except for the pans. It's just a tall cage, one of those ferret-nation ones. The vet she may have fallen from the top cage shelf onto the bottom pan, and in some weird twist of fate, just landed wrong.

The weird part is that I never saw her bleed, nor did she bleed in the 7+ hours she was at the vets. All we know is that her red blood count was low, so she was anemic, but we don't truly know why. I didn't want to do an autopsy. I just couldn't, although I know that maybe I should have to prevent whatever had done it in the future. But I couldn't stand the thought of her being cut up and prodded, I just wanted to remember her as a cuddly fluff forever.

Thank you for your sympathy, Phyllis. I'm sorry for your bunny. :heart:

The candle that burns the brightest only lasts a short time but gives us a glow that lasts forever in our hearts.
The pain we feel when we have to let our ratties make the journey across the bridge is hard to take... but like
rain on a summer day it only lasts a short time until we feel the warmth again... We give our rattties warmth food a place to call home and a family to care for them. They give us a gift... A gift of love... That gift is such a precious thing that it can never be taken from us and remains in our hearts forever. So hold that gift and remember it was given freely.

After 23 of our boys now playing over the bridge we understand that greif lasts less time than love
and that we have been given 23 gifts to fill our hearts and wonderfull memories to hold untill we can share forever when we see them all once again in that place we have in our hearts called The Rainbow Bridge

You know the love you can give ... So don't let grief stop you from giving some of that to another rattie.
Charlotte will always be special... but others will be special too ... All are individual but they all offer us
that gift unconditionally. We know that we will face that grief again meny more times but we know the bigger joy of the smiles our boys give us.

Charlotte may have gone from your sight ...but never from your heart... that is her gift to you forever

petlover said:
The candle that burns the brightest only lasts a short time but gives us a glow that lasts forever in our hearts.
The pain we feel when we have to let our ratties make the journey across the bridge is hard to take... but like
rain on a summer day it only lasts a short time until we feel the warmth again... We give our rattties warmth food a place to call home and a family to care for them. They give us a gift... A gift of love... That gift is such a precious thing that it can never be taken from us and remains in our hearts forever. So hold that gift and remember it was given freely.

After 23 of our boys now playing over the bridge we understand that greif lasts less time than love
and that we have been given 23 gifts to fill our hearts and wonderfull memories to hold untill we can share forever when we see them all once again in that place we have in our hearts called The Rainbow Bridge

You know the love you can give ... So don't let grief stop you from giving some of that to another rattie.
Charlotte will always be special... but others will be special too ... All are individual but they all offer us
that gift unconditionally. We know that we will face that grief again meny more times but we know the bigger joy of the smiles our boys give us.

Charlotte may have gone from your sight ...but never from your heart... that is her gift to you forever
Thank you. :cry4:

petlover said:

That was one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. :cry4: :love6: :heart: :rose: :cry4: :flowers: :hugs: :cry4:

Pet lover, this is so beautiful & so meaningful, a perfect tribute to our ratties, may I share it, I will be sure & give you credit as the author

Back