My Jaggy died a horrible death at the vet....A LONG story.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharlees rattakisses

Jaggy was 11.5 years.
We noticed that he was crawling around and not eating or drinking just lethargic.
We thought that he had hurt his back as he was 20lbs and had a hernia as his tummy had a big bulge.
We took him to our vet and was told he had a blocked urethra due to crystals or stones and the bulge in his tummy was his bladder which was going to rupture.
It was our misfortune that the only vet available was the one that told us Misty's neck wound was so bad that the tissue was dead and she needed a $1500 operation plus meds to fix it.
The scab fell off a few days later.
We had no choice but to see this guy because it was late Sunday afternoon and close to closing time.
He quotes $1180.00 plus meds ect to catheterize and empty the bladder which was more than likely blocked by stones and would need an operation which due to his size and age he would either die during surgery or not heal properly and spend along time in pain not recovering.
After talking about it with Jim it was decided that the best thing to do would be to put him to sleep.
Little did I know that instead of easing his suffering It was made a million times worse.
Instead of putting him under anesthetic the vet gave him a shot to "relax" him that took 15 minutes to work and not very well.
He then proceeded to shave his front legs to insert the needle to euthanize him and instead of hitting a vein he injected in to his tissue.
It took THREE big full needles to put my Jaggy to sleep and 20 minutes.
He cried and meowed like nothing I ever heard before.
Instead of easing his suffering the last few minutes of his life were hell.
He howling and crying just before he died. :cry4:
The vet said that it was because Jag was so big that he NEEDED three needles.
Jaggy was weighed and he was 16 pounds as he had lost 4 pounds in the last year.
Even I know that they base the dosage on the size of the animal and if he had done it properly Jag wouldn't have suffered.
The Vets attitude was oh well when I asked him why it took so long.
I was so upset and crying that I couldn't talk.
Jim wanted to leave him there like his parents always did and I wanted to take him home to bury and the Vet chimes in that it is against the law and I told him that I wasn't going to put a sign with flashing lights and whistles where he was to be buried.
Jim didn't want to but he agreed.
I wrapped him in a Winnie the Pooh blanket to carry him out to pay the bill of almost $150.00 bawling the whole way to the car to find a $30.00 parking ticket.
Jim had to go in and tell Stacey and Holly that Jag was gone and with me in the car.
Julia was at work and Kerry had to ask her to come home because I couldn't talk.
There were A LOT of tears from the girls and I, Jim and even Julio Stacey's boyfriend.
Word traveled fast with a lot of upset friends who loved Jaggy and had friended him on F.B.
Jim cried when he said goodbye and was crying when we buried him.
I miss him so much and Jim and I both agree that the house seem so empty without him.
The food bowl stays full a lot longer.
There is no race for Simon's wet food when the front hall door is opened.
No fuzzy big cat waiting and meowing lying in the tub waiting for water.
No churps as he pulls your head down and rolls in my hair.
No cursing when he walked front of me tripping me up as I walk up the stairs.
No thumps and noise when he jumps off the bed or couch.
No Jaggy lying on his back in a sunbeam.
He loved to lie on strange things from nails, brushes, hammers and even a saw.
No kittiy to come running when I call a high pitched "treaties"
I loved to bury my face in his soft tummy fur.
How I would bitch about his clumpy knotty fur I struggled to brush and How I wish he was still here scruffy fur and all.
Jim say's that I made the right choice to bring him home and that he was just trying to be stoic and act like he wasn't so upset.
Jim and Holly made a rock garden that next year we will plant catnip Jag's favorite drug of choice. (catnip)
I miss him So much!!
:heart: Jaggy waiting for Simon to finish his wet food. Poor Jag was ALWAYS hungry!! :heart:

I am so sorry. It must hurt so much to have lost him like that.

Maybe when you or your husband feel up to it you can submit a complaint to the provincial vet college. that vet needs to learn a thing or two.

Meanwhile I will think of you and your family with all my sympathy.

I am in the process of writing a letter, which I will give to the head of the Vet clinic and to the provincial vet college.
Besides my two incidences I have heard more stories concerning this vet.
He should NOT be working with animals at ALL. :redhot:
It will NEVER forget how my poor Jaggy died at the hands of that stupid heartless man!!

Thanks for your kind words and support. :heart:

I'm so sorry to hear this :( I've had terrible experiences with a vet in town before, too, and it's the worst feeling in the world. Play hard at the bridge Jaggy

I'm so sorry for your loss...poor Jaggy :( He has an eternity of peace ahead of him now at least.

You should sue that vet...that is NOT acceptable practice, what he did was barbaric. *hugs*

I'm so very sorry for both your loss and for what you and Jaggy went through. :(

Maybe he was crying so much because of confusion brought on by the sedative? I know dogs make the most horrendous noises when they're coming out of anaesthetic...

I have to agree with Alicemcmallis...
also Jaggy must have been in extreme pain....and by the sounds of his condition was in pain for a long time before he went to the vet.....
Sorry for what you and Jaggy had to go through...it must have been horrible.

I know many people who have had similar experiences where the vets have actually obviously screwed up. from the majority of vets I have dealt with.. they dont care about your pets, they want your money.. a pet = another day another dollar. I have only ever met 2-3 vets that seemed to give a sh* about our family dog and my rats. because of my experiences its horrible to say but Im eerrie of vets , its hard for me to trust now.. everytime I go I study them alot and bring my own information and am forceful if I know they dont know what they are talking about. Although I know there are amazing vets, I believe they are rare and if you find them, you are lucky. Also which bothers me, Ive had 2 of my rats put to sleep in the past and both times the hospital would NOT allow me in the room with them.. I HAD to wait in the waiting room.. which makes me wonder if my rats were in pain :redhot:

I am so very very sorry for all of you.
That is absolutely horrible !!

:hugs:

When you feel up to it, I hope you file a formal complaint against the vet.

So sorry for your loss! Rest in peace little Jaggy...
:flowers2:

That vet is incompetent and needs to be reported for malpractice!
It sickened me to hear what he did to your poor baby!

Here's a link to an info sheet on the complaint process. The college will probably try to stonewall you but at least this incident will be on record. Sooner or later they might actually act.... http://www.cvo.org/uploadattachments/Co ... rocess.pdf
The e-mail address of the person to contact is [email protected]

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you. I'm with MumsyRat after you have time to heal tell EVERYONE and report it, a vet should not get off easy for not knowing how to put an animal to sleep correctly.

Oh hon, I'm so so sorry,When we can't fix them our only comfort is whatever comfort we can give them. Whatever this vet did right or wrong with Jaggy he obviousy didn't comfort you either, and that's part of any good vet's job. Write a letter, let someone know. Then remember that you were with your boy in the end and that was comfort for him. Let your memories be about Jaggy and you as much as you can, that vet should not tarnish them. I'm so sorry for your loss, and how painful it was for you.

Oh, , see - I forgot to add this by concentrating on the vet (Don't let him take away any more from what should be valued.)... Your words of love & description of your boy & what you shared are so loving and so touching. You've honored your baby, and made him so beautiful to someone who never got to see him, so precious to someone who never got to touch him.

Digitalangel your picture looks just like my Jaggy. :shock:
It makes me feel SO much better knowing that My Rat Shack friends care!!!! :heart: :cuddle: :heart:
Thanks for the links mumsyrat. :flowers:
And thanx for all your wonderful caring comments. :love7:

:missu: Jaggy :heart:

Back