Should I...?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Updates!

I got an email of two young males that just came to the CTRR. The email stated they were young and TERRIFIED of humans and that they were going to need some work, email back if interested. Of course I am, terrified or not I've worked with scared rats before, Nes was a terrified little bugger, and after 2yrs of his life being extra skittish, he's finally warmed up. Ever since my husband came back home he's been more relaxed and cuddly, a big puff ball of love. If he can lose his skittishness after 2yrs of patience, I can work with youngsters who've had a rough time. But I need to look into their backgrounds, find out why they are like this and of course what CTRR thinks is best for them.

Awesome! It sounds like you are just what these babies need.
It also seems that lately neutering has been an adjunct to helping some boys calm down. Do you have access to neuters for these boys too?

The CTRR have a policy when they adopt out their rats, they insist that all males and females are spayed and neutered, so that accidents don't happen.

That said... I got another email on how these little guys ended up with the CTRR and thank god they did...

Quote from my email:

They are from an animal control, they were taken from a cruelty case. Here's what the AC officer said:

"The man who lives at the house apparently was put into the ICU for one reason or another and the (adult) son was living at the house while he was in the hospital. They had 2 ball pythons and the 2 rats at the house (I’m assuming that the rats were supposed to be feeders for the snakes??) and the 2 snakes had literally been starved to death and were decomposing in their tank and the rats had no food or water either, but they are a healthy weight. Very odd. The son signed them over and we’re looking into cruelty charges on him."

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]They are very fearful, terrified of handling, and a little nippy, but they're only about 3-4 months old so I'm hopeful socialization will help them, but we'll see!

So it sounds like these little guys...were neglected and were meant to be food for snakes that were neglected and left to die and they probably would have ended up the same way haven't the animal control came by. It sounds like they just never ever been handled, and with the fact they were probably right next to these dead snakes...they were terrified... Oh i feel just horrible for them, but glad they are in safe hands with the CTRR. I asked for pictures and to keep me and my husband informed on their progress. Hopefully I'll get another email soon.

[/FONT]

I hope you get these boys and teach them how rats are suppose to live. I bet they were feeding off the dead snakes :sick2:

Can anyone tell me what kind they are? Beige? White? They aren't albino no pink eyes!

they look blue to me.... but I really am not good with colors

there are black eyed whites, too aren't there? BEWs? I thought I'd seen that term before.......?

I thought blues were gray in color? These guys look white brown a bit.

Maybe...but they are too white to be that, i thought champange but they don't have pink eyes... GAH :gaah:

Beige white or mink white? I'm really am not an expert. I know that Gizmo is a black hooded, Nes is a beige berkshire, and zera is a hairless black hooded. But these two? No idea.

More updates!

Today the boys are going to be neutered, and soon as they recover it looks like they'll be finding a home with me and my hubby! They say that they are still skittish of people but there has definetly been improvement in their personalities, PRGORESS!!! So excited!!! I can hardly wait to see them! Soon as I know when they'll be able to come home with us, I'll set up their temp cage, a nice three level self put together cage where I kept the girls their first two weeks with us.

YESSSSS!!!! :bliss:

I got more word! Their nueters went well without any problems! They are resting up and probably trying to figure out what happened... I wonder how long it will take for them to realize that something is missing? lol! Anyways they said more likely they'd be ready to go home with me and my hubby this weekend if everything goes alright. They also offered us to come down and see them. Since though me and Lars have plans this Friday and its Easter Sunday, I was hoping they might be able to come home with us this Saturday! I'll have to wait and see what their response is, but more likely we'll be getting the two new boys this weekend!!!! :woohoonaner:

Back