Peanut's eye thread - Possibly NOT the end!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there another vet that has more experience in your area? Where do you live? Maybe someone here can recommend a good rattie surgeon

I switched to the re wetting drops, but his eye is dead and that article mostly says its alright the chemicals will kill the germs. I'm trying to do what's best for him, but I keep getting conflicting information. I wiped it an hour ago with a wet q-tip (VERY GENTLY) and removed the yellow gunk, but I can now see there is a slit in the center of the eye and that is where the pus gunk is coming from. There wasn't much, but it was still coming out. It also looks much worse after I flush and apply the drops/ointment. Once again, I emailed them with today's pictures and my concerns on waiting and changing the medication.

Is there another vet that has more experience in your area? Where do you live? Maybe someone here can recommend a good rattie surgeon

Chicago, and no the only other exotic vet in the area is a complete rip off and I would not trust them. Been there and they are idiots... No one else in the area specializes in exotics. I really like this place they are wonderful - just so happens this is a new vet to the place and I don't think she is too confident in her ability to remove it.

The stinging is what bothers me the most about using the contact lens solution, he's already in a lot of pain, the eye may be dead but the surrounding tissue is not.

I think you have to just tell them to put their big girl pants on and try it...you are pretty much at life and death now. The eyeball is infected, the longer they leave it the less the chance he will survive the surgery.

The stinging is what bothers me the most about using the contact lens solution, he's already in a lot of pain, the eye may be dead but the surrounding tissue is not.

I think you have to just tell them to put their big girl pants on and try it...you are pretty much at life and death now. The eyeball is infected, the longer they leave it the less the chance he will survive the surgery.

I will call later and try and go above her head on this one....

EDIT: 8:25 am, left message that I want the eye removed tomorrow - now I'll wait and see if that gets me anywhere.

Last edited:
If you dont. We can try to work up a way to get him to my vet. I know my vet would take it out :( anything for that boy. I just love his little chunky self. Ps his brother PJ the masked boy, he has a heart problem now too.

If you dont. We can try to work up a way to get him to my vet. I know my vet would take it out :( anything for that boy. I just love his little chunky self. Ps his brother PJ the masked boy, he has a heart problem now too.

Oh no not more heart problems! Still haven't heard back from them and I'm starting to get annoyed. I hate waiting, but it doesn't look any worse and his facial swelling has gone down. I made the message sound worse than he actually is so I hopefully would get a response sooner rather than later. I'd have Al just show up with him tomorrow, but he's not very assertive or demanding and again, I cannot make them do it.

He has a 10:30am appointment tomorrow with the Doctor that owns the place. I told them no offense I like the new doctor, but I'm just not confident yet in her and this need more expertise...!
Yay! I hope he will jump in and do the surgery tomorrow. Paws crossed for your little man...

Crossing everything for you here in Houston.

I told all my ratties to cross their toes & tails .....:grouphug:

He has a 10:30am appointment tomorrow with the Doctor that owns the place. I told them no offense I like the new doctor, but I'm just not confident yet in her and this need more expertise...!

Good! I hope they are willing to do the enuc and do it ASAP. No point waiting and prolonging his discomfort. Good luck tomorrow.

The receptionist told me he doesn't do surgery until Tuesday. I told them I was not waiting until Tuesday so we scheduled the appointment for tomorrow morning and would go from there. The new vet doesn't even do surgeries!!!! :rant: He has been with me at work all day. He has eaten some and he went out and played with some of the officers while I let him stroll along on the floor to stretch his little legs. He found a corner he liked and gave himself a nice long bath. Hopefully daddy will put his foot down and something will happen!! Small amount of pus are still coming out the slit in the eye.

Grrrr! It makes me crazy when they try to avoid this surgery. Only with time and experience will they finally learn that waiting is a terrible idea. Sadly, it's Peanut and my Lucky who have to help them learn this lesson. Sounds like he's still in good spirits. Hope you guys can make this happen tomorrow.

They waited and watched with my Quinners too despite me begging for enuc and it wasn't until the eye ruptured and he was scratching it bad enough to tear chunks out that Dr P said "ummmm yeah so we better get this eye out". They were about to close so he finished his last appt, found some staff to assist and did the enuc after hours. I hope Peanut's doc will have the same attitude about it that Dr P had. Good luck!

They waited and watched with my Quinners too despite me begging for enuc and it wasn't until the eye ruptured and he was scratching it bad enough to tear chunks out that Dr P said "ummmm yeah so we better get this eye out". They were about to close so he finished his last appt, found some staff to assist and did the enuc after hours. I hope Peanut's doc will have the same attitude about it that Dr P had. Good luck!

I hope so too, I sent him with a list of questions I want answered and things I want done! I also sent him will all the dated pictures I have on here and the ones I emailed the office (same ones) just in case he hasn't seen the progression. They better not charge me for an emergency surgery since I've been asking for this since I brought him in. I'm off Monday and if need be, Momma is gonna go in there and go postal on their butts.....so daddy better get the job done today! I've spent enough money there that they should be :ratwave: to me on this and not making it so difficult.... :-D

I'll start by saying I'm NOT happy, but I suppose its better than nothing. He lost 10 grams, now Peanut could afford to lose 10 grams, but I know its because he's not eating. I had him with me for 16 hours yesterday at work and he ate 4 grapes and a small piece of zuchinni bread. During the night he ate some baby food and a slice of banana (at least I didn't find the banana). He's still very active, but depressed being cooped up in a tiny cage - he's a big ratman after all!

Here's the current plan... Eyedrops 3-4 times a day (rather than 2-3) wait 5 minutes then apply ointment. (Well, kind of already been doing that)
Adding chlorpalm (twice a day, I think) and still giving baytril. I had him look at his ear cause he was head shaking and pawing at it too - had a wax build up so they cleaned it out. We need to keep him on soft food (baby food, etc) because chewing is probably irrating/painful to the jaw and eye right now so that is why he isn't eating. Ya think?! Asked for tramadol he said no the metacam and eye drops should be enough. Surgery is Tuesday.

Daddy put him back in with his friends and he immediately kicked - literally booted, Grumpy off a hammock. He said Grumpy looked at him like, "Daddy, wth". At last conversation Peanut was in his hut with Grumpy using his butt as a pillow. He said Peanut definitely perked up when Axe went with him to the vet and when he went back in with his buddies. I'm not too sure about this so I told him to keep a close watch on them.

I'm not happy waiting, but at least he's getting more antibiotics to battle the infections. Now let me make sure I have this right since I have to give him soft foods.... NO BABY CEREAL OR YOGURT - right!!! I don't want to rend the antibiotics useless or less effective, but baby food (jars) is alright. Maybe I'll just mush up fruits and veggies.... Can he have soup? Reduced sodium of course and cooled.

Back