Peanut's eye thread - Possibly NOT the end!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These were taken this evening after I called the vet because it looked like there was blood coming out from the corner of his eye, but when I went to take the picture to email to her he had cleaned himself and was eating. I haven't seen him eat in 24 hrs (other then a couple treats) I cannot tell if its worse or not - its looks awful and to me, worse in a different way, but better than the first day. Its swollen more and has sticky yellow gunk on it the the eye lid keeps sticking to so we are now flushing with warm water. I cannot tell if the gunk is infection or the eye - some is now separating from the eye, but I told want to pull on it. He is miserable in his hospital cage and is pushing all the liter away from him and laying on the plastic bottom. :cries:

IMG_7912_zpsd00ac43f.jpg

IMG_7913_zps451b906d.jpg

I'm sure it's uncomfortable but I've seen worse. It does look better in some ways, but still not good. Can't tell if the yellow is infection or eye either - would it turn yellow before shriveling up? I'm sure you'll know soon - these things progress so fast. Hang in there Peanut.

THAT needs to be removed ASAP.

Poor baby :(

I do believe your right, but we are both at work today. I have once again emailed the vet with today's update. The yellow has been replaced with red - I believe its blood and the lids are stuck to the goo and cannot close. If I have to, I can bring him there after work and leave him there (although I hate to do that) and they can remove it tomorrow and we'll pick him up on Friday. I wish they would make a decision or let me know what we are waiting for. :emb:

Just a friendly recommendation-if you can you should use warm saline to flush the eye. Plain water can sting and can even be drying.

Last edited:
I really don't like the look of that either. It does not look like it is on the way to healing. I too would encourage you to push for an enucleation. Hang in there little man! And mom!

If you can't get the surgery ASAP (by ASAP I mean tomorrow or Friday) you need to switch meds. That's a really serious infection and he's not getting better. Chlorpalm would be best in his case.

If you can't get the surgery ASAP (by ASAP I mean tomorrow or Friday) you need to switch meds. That's a really serious infection and he's not getting better. Chlorpalm would be best in his case.

Friday is do-able for us since the hubby is off and can take him in. Do you guys think I should add doxy to the mix? I am bring him to work with me tomorrow so I can get him his meds on time since I am working 16 hours and hubby won't be home. I wish the vet would call me back and let me know what they want to do.... I'm almost tempted to just show up there tonight with him.

She called me around 4:30 pm and wants to wait until Monday unless there is blood/pus caking his face and/or he stops eating, etc. Basically, they want to watch it for seven days before making a decision. When I got home it actually looked really good. All the blood/redness was gone and he was able to close the eye. I am now flushing it with contact solution and was going to put the collar on him, but I got the drops in and rubbed the ointment around the eye and held him awhile so he couldn't rub it off right away. These pictures are after I flushed it so it looks worse than it did before I messed with it.

IMG_7973_zps214d38e9.jpg

IMG_7970_zpseb1c566b.jpg

It sounds like she's not confident doing an enucleation and she's holding off to make sure it's the only option. Honestly, I don't see how this could resolve itself without surgery. If he doesn't have surgery right away I would ask for different meds... he may not make it to next week otherwise.

My vet held off on an enucleation after an eye rupture but what she did was stitch the eye half shut and sure enough, it healed. The eye was dead but it was not longer an issue. Unfortunately, there were other issues unrelated to the eye that caused his death a day or so later.

In his case I would not wait...its not a normal rupture, all that yellow etc...ick. A normal rupture would have the eye shrinking up slowly. You also said he's acting miserable. :( Most times they just go on pretty much normally with a regular rupture.

I would be worried that if there's infection behind the eye it's going to spread and possibly compromise him even more if you wait.

Last edited:
No you cannot use that as it has special chemicals that can hurt his eyes.

You can get natural tears for eyes instead.

I asked about the tear drops and the contact solution which is just saline solution and she said yes to both.

It sounds like she's not confident doing an enucleation and she's holding off to make sure it's the only option. Honestly, I don't see how this could resolve itself without surgery. If he doesn't have surgery right away I would ask for different meds... he may not make it to next week otherwise.

She new and I'm not sure what to think of her. I did ask if the baytril would be enough and she said yes since the eye drop is also an antibiotic. I cannot force them to take it out unfortunately, but if it still looks this way Friday I will make the hubby take him in on Friday and insist on it, but again we cannot make them do it.

My vet held off on an enucleation after an eye rupture but what she did was stitch the eye half shut and sure enough, it healed. The eye was dead but it was not longer an issue. Unfortunately, there were other issues unrelated to the eye that caused his death a day or so later.

It looks much better. We did the same for Jack and his dried up just fine, but it never looked this bad and I don't think from going back and looking at pictures of it that it actually ruptured.

Back