Old man Basil <3

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sad to report that Basil passed away this afternoon, curled up, under my chin. He struggled only a little bit at the end so really, it wasnt as bad as it could have been, although it still sucked.

Once I finally got his leg under control and got it to "heal" as best as it was going to, his respiratory issues came back with a vengeance. No matter what I tried he kept getting worse and worse. Even an injection of dex did nothing (it helped a bit, for about 2 hours. He got the highest dose possible and usually the effect is MUCH better). I think that the tumours spread throughout his body. When he passed I was able to feel around a bit more forcefully and I could feel quite a few lumps, deep and immobile. Bleh.

I wish I had more adorable pictures to post, but the last few days have not been very good. If I find ones that I missed, I will post them.

Miss you already Basil. Sorry for the loss of him. And thank you so much for posting all the gorgeous pictures of him. He reminded me in spirit of so many sweeties that I've also lost. It was a bit of sunshine seeing him snuggled and so content. Thinking of you xx

I'm sad to report that Basil passed away this afternoon, curled up, under my chin. He struggled only a little bit at the end so really, it wasnt as bad as it could have been, although it still sucked.

Once I finally got his leg under control and got it to "heal" as best as it was going to, his respiratory issues came back with a vengeance. No matter what I tried he kept getting worse and worse. Even an injection of dex did nothing (it helped a bit, for about 2 hours. He got the highest dose possible and usually the effect is MUCH better). I think that the tumours spread throughout his body. When he passed I was able to feel around a bit more forcefully and I could feel quite a few lumps, deep and immobile. Bleh.

I wish I had more adorable pictures to post, but the last few days have not been very good. If I find ones that I missed, I will post them.

Oh no!!...my heart jumped when I saw your new post...I am so very sorry about Basil. :(

I was just showing his adorable pictures to my husband and we were "awwing" over his sweet leg wrapped in that pink bandage. I just told my husband Basil passed away and his face just fell to the floor. It came so soon after Basil's trip to the vet. I am truly sorry. I loved Basil so much, as did so many on the forum. He was so very special and sweet.

I know my boys have given him a grand welcome at the Bridge and Basil now feels no pain and there are no foot or breathing problems. I know you are at least comforted that he was fortunate to pass at home with his Mommy, feeling loved and safe and warm. I am thinking of Basil tonight. Play free precious boy, you will be hugely missed by us humans down here. :flowers1:

I am so very sorry Jenny. Basil was definitely one of those "specials"- we love all our rats but some just have a way about them...a little something extra

I'm sorry for your loss, you must be so sad and lost, after having doted on him and devoted so much time to showering him with love and care these past weeks,
but I'm glad you were there with him, as I'm sure he was too.

I try to imagine him with no icky lungs and his foot all healed, how joyfully he must be running around and playing. Although that pink cast was awfully cute, I'm sure he's glad to be free of it.

but even with the fun he's having at the Bridge, I know this sweet man is checking on you, watching over you, and sending you his love many many times a day,
when you are your saddest, or feel the most lost, wondering what do I do now, my boy no longer needs me to care for him,
sit quietly and know that he is there with you, there to dry your tears, there to tickle your brain into remembering the good times, the funny things,
there to let you know, his body may be gone, but love does not die. He will be with you always.

Petunia, that was probably the most beautiful and comforting post anyone has ever written on the forum about a beloved rat that has passed on. My sentiments exactly. I know everyone here thinks the same way about our babies looking down at us from the Bridge and "visiting" when they know we are at our saddest as well as the assurance that they will always be with us, even if it is no longer in physical form. I know my own boys have done that with Marc and I too. Well said Petunia. :hugs:

Aw.. :( It's like the end of an era. He can rejoin all his brothers and sisters at the bridge. He had the same face as Logan... one of those irresistible squishy and sweet faces, yet stubborn to keep trekkin on.

Back