Old man Basil <3

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anytime the rat room light comes on he sits and waits for me.

3ea03851161b1d70befaa2d7cd0eb01d.jpg

I can't resist his face.

69151f1c96bd2a551dc2af6a910ee442.jpg

He loves scritches!!!
But ran off with the potato I have hime

He looks good on the liners that petunia sewed for him!!

Oh I would just melt seeing that sweet face waiting for me. Those pictures were just adorable. I am officially head over heels in love with Mr. Basil. Big kisses to you, sweet boy. :lovestruck:

Beautiful liners, by the way and they DO look great against Basil's pretty gray fur. :)

Basil isn't having a very good day today. His foot is really causing issues. The tumour has opened and ruptured causing the surrounding tissue to begin to die due to lack of circulation. I have a vet appointment for him and merlin tomorrow morning.
He still loves his scratches <3 my happy, lovely old man basil! :heart:
69b009550dbad310a7eee412ddb3b01f.jpg

164f74d7abe9ca46d1a86c5874f02d2f.jpg

I do have pictures of his leg is anyone is interested. They are horrendous looking though!

His foot November 22
9376f781ab08c853776bcd240b3dd7ff.jpg

His foot yesterday
62657ccd4869e75dbe9cf85941221951.jpg

His foot today
d8827ff3e7c8b79f75114fe23ef6160d.jpg

The change that happened in 24 hours is frightening! I thought yesterday was bad... Today was way worse.
The outlook isn't good. If it wasn't for his damn foot...
I don't think surgery is an option. His breathing is under more control but he is over 3 years old so that is worrisome. But the thing that worries me most is the fact that there are what seem to be a few masses starting further up his leg. Since there are so many already on his foot, and some going up his leg :-/ well....
And back when the tumour first appeared his breathing was out of control.

:death:
:sick2:

it is gross but this is why we know it all LOL we share it all LMAO some day someone else will have this problem and we can look back at this. Now give him an ice cream cone something extra good because that foot make him deserve as special treat LOL

Awww poor old man!! That looks super painful...
Yea I think I forgot how old he was when I suggested surgery...
Icecream cone sounds like a brilliant idea for the little old man! [emoji4]

So I actually have good news! The vet doesn't believe that basil is in any pain. When he was at the vet, he had not had metacam for 24 hours and he was fine. Acting normal. So, he said he wouldn't consider euth at this point in time so I got to bring my lovely boy home!!!
We spoke about potentially removing his leg, but then discovered a massive tumour just behind his back leg, closer to his tail. I can't believe I missed it! Its about half the size of a ping pong ball! I guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees. I was so focussed on getting his leg under control that I didn't see the large tumour growing there >.<
Anyway, he is home. I have some heavy duty pain meds just in case he needs them. I can always rush him to the vet if I need to.

My lovely old man sleeping in his carrier
78701a571a74404b27af00e230f9873d.jpg

Oh and instead of the ice cream cone I gave him his favourite treat, a sour cream glazed timbit. He ate it on the ride to the vet. You can't see it in this pic, but it's there. He really enjoyed it
ba6dfa3f84641a80f184deebc702ce25.jpg

And laying in my blanket when we got home :heart:
205075973a71267889945814bfc2f338.jpg

And this one, cuz seriously, adorable!!
bb5e629dd791c57dfb6f49271f15f1b4.jpg

oh wow, I was so afraid there was gong to be sad news, I can't believe this! he looks a little overwhelmed by the size of that dressing, but it also kinda adds to his adorable-ness
I'm so relieved you got more time with your precious Basil
<3

Aww, beautiful pictures and such great news that Basil is back at home, yay! His pink bandage is so cute and now his foot is nice and swaddled up and protected now. :thumbsup: I am betting he feels better with it all bandaged up eh?

Basil is just beyond adorable in his photos, as always! He actually looks very content! So glad he is home and cozy with you you again. Good deal! Smooches to sweet Basil! :tumkiss:

Last edited:
He looks so much like Logan in his old age. I can't believe how old Basil is, he's outlived the rest of that litter by a HUGE margin. |

And dont worry, Munn caught a tumor I missed on one of my rats today, too. *facepalm*

Back