Montreal SPCA - Exotics Department - many, many rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have even more babies and maybe more on the way...

Sunday we had a litter of 8 rats brought in - 5 females and 3 males. Someone bought a female rat at a pet store and got more than they bargained for. We are working on names, in the meantime these guys are adorable and super well socialized. Born Feb. 19, 2012.

Girl # 1 is a black berk:

aa6179ea.jpg

5f6f3573.jpg

Girl # 2 is an agouti self:

79cdc526.jpg

54b94b84.jpg

Girl # 3 is a black self:

7584ccb9.jpg

0da1c41a.jpg

Girl #4 is another black self:

68801ffe.jpg

8b4b961e.jpg

Girl #5 is a black berk:

d683a4b2.jpg

a773c584.jpg

Boys # 1 and 2 are black berks (I screwed up on taking pics of them)

ad4e38bf.jpg

514edd4e.jpg

016fed9b.jpg

and Boy # 3 is an agouti berk:

fe9543ba.jpg

48c0335b.jpg

All the boys together :heart:

aba8871d.jpg

The other three rats (hopefully five) were caught in a field behind someone's house. So far, 3 are caught and in foster, the other 2 will hopefully be caught soon as well. One of the ones caught is a female, about 2 months old, so she is on pregnancy watch.

:panic:

Not only are you here tempting me again when I'm trying to go down, but you add black selves to the lot? Argh!!! Will I be able to meet the whole gang on the SPCA event on Sunday you think? :oops:

All of the younger babies are there :D It's funny, because I'm so tempted by the black and agouti selfs (I really do have my hands full at the moment though) but they are the least 'adoptable'. If you let me know when you're coming, I will make sure either myself or someone else is available to take them to a contact room for you to meet :D

For anyone else that's interested, we have a fundraising event at the SPCA this weekend. There will be chocolates and baked goods for sale and Montreal Critters will be there. If anyone wants anything, drop them a line and you can pick it up at the event and save on shipping.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

http://montrealcritters.com/blog/easter ... 12-edition

I haven't been great about keeping this up to date but I thought I would put it out there that there is a rat train to Toronto next week for some sick/special needs rats and a few more going to Sudbury and even though it's pretty soon, we may be add some more rats to the train if anyone is interested. I'll update the thread with the available rats soon but if anyone's interested, message me and we can discuss the application process and who we have available. Thanks!

It's been a long time since I've posted in this thread. All of the rats previously posted have either been adopted or transferred to the North Alliston HS.

We have 5 girls currently available - a pair and a trio. It looks like I have a home for the pair in Toronto so I won't list them, but the trio (my fosters) have been waiting for a home since mid-April.

They were three females from a group of 8 rats brought in. Lola (black hooded) and Jojo (black capped with blaze) are older, probably around 18 months, and Nathalie was about 5 weeks when they came in, so she's about 4 months now. Lola is very nurturing and easy going and loves to run and explore. Jojo is the alpha and a bit more nervous or tense, always looking out for the colony. Nathalie is the baby and sadly, the most nervous of the three. She is never sure about us picking her up but once she's on the could with us, she loves to hang out on our shoulders and nibble on ear lobes. They are the only rats I've ever had that like a wheel, and boy do they ever - they will run on it for hours on end. All three have some form of 'wheel tail', especially Nathalie. The three of them are very tightly bonded and must stay together.

There is likely a transport to Toronto (or elsewhere in Ontario) available at the end of the month, if anyone is interested.

The week they came in:
5767b28c.jpg

6935fede.jpg

b4dae310.jpg

Three peas in a pod:
fc7273dc.jpg

847ba9c9.jpg

421e0ac9.jpg

04ee38af.jpg

Sweet, little Nathalie:
77ae29d2.jpg

33304675.jpg

:(

3 is too much for me to take in right now, with my 2 piggies on meds for various issues and 4 out of 5 rats on meds, including my Cabotine with PT and Tanner with this horrible abdominal mass...

I kind of were expecting (dreading) to see a post by July 2 or 3 after moving day... do I understand there was not so many rats that were left behind this year?

Not exactly... we've had a fair bit come in in the weeks before (and we may still) but we've been working really hard to place them, both through adoptions here in the city, transfers to a shelter in Ontario we've been working with, and I've found homes/spots for 12 (probably 14) in the Toronto and Hamilton areas and have transported them. I've just been to busy to update this thread.

That being said, we've had many, many rabbits and guinea pigs come in as of late and that doesn't seem to be slowing down. We also didn't get large groups (20-30+) or pregnant rats come in this season. (Yet.) Sadly, I suspect part of the reason is that people know to bring rabbits in (or they find them as strays and bring them in) but many think rats belong in the wild and release them and they never make their way to us.

If we get any pairs or singles (I'm guessing you're thinking girls) or the adoption for the two lovely girls at the shelter falls through, I'll poke you :p

ETA: I should also note that it helps Carole has adopted several of the special needs males we've had recently and I'm full myself with 9 + 3 (although I have half a CN for emergencies or the two girls from the shelter for short term fostering until transport.)

Yeah, just keep me posted. Tanner and Cabotine can both leave me anytime :sad3: , eventhough they are both doing good right now. The guinea pigs are getting older and sicker, though - Maya's x-ray 3 weeks ago showed light arthritis on all 4 paws, a pneumonia and a probable issue with her heart. And Praline's yesterday showed that she has a horribly advanced case of arthritis on both rear paws - poor baby! I'm so glad I asked for the x-ray and that I can at least help her manage the pain she must be feeling!!!

Unepuce said:
Yeah, just keep me posted. Tanner and Cabotine can both leave me anytime :sad3: , eventhough they are both doing good right now. The guinea pigs are getting older and sicker, though - Maya's x-ray 3 weeks ago showed light arthritis on all 4 paws, a pneumonia and a probable issue with her heart. And Praline's yesterday showed that she has a horribly advanced case of arthritis on both rear paws - poor baby! I'm so glad I asked for the x-ray and that I can at least help her manage the pain she must be feeling!!!

:hugs: I will.

hey =)
So, you have just 3 girls now, right?
Im looking for a pair of girls or boys(preferably). but I'd like them to be young- 7-10 weeks.
If you will have new residents please-keep posting it here :heart:

We were contacted a short while ago about a lone male. A girl found him on her balcony two weeks ago but can't keep him. She says he's very well socialized and active for a male and he's grown in the two weeks she's had him so the assumption is he's quite young. This is the only picture I have, he's definitely a male and Siamese, but it's hard to tell his age.

5fedd57e.jpg

We also have many dwarf hamsters, a few male gerbils, a pair of sweet female degus, two pairs of chins, a ferret, a few birds and MANY bunnies and guinea pigs.

:cry4:

Timing sucks so bad... I am feeling so overwhelmed right now, but I so don't want any rat or piggie I have to leave me... Poor boy... :sad3:

We had a good rat adoption day yesterday :D

Taco and Nacho, whom arrived last week as strays, were adopted by a wonderful family

taconacho.jpg

After almost 5 months in foster, my "fosters" are no longer available. We had a stray baby female come in on Monday and I couldn't leave her alone. I thought about introducing them to my Nathalie, Lola, and Jojo but then we would have to split them into pairs if someone was interested and I didn't want to do that. Clearly, the only solution was to adopt them all :p I tried an intro last night and it went amazingly so they're living together already. Three of them were in heat so it was very difficult to get decent pictures, this is the only one I have of all four of them. The newest one, Fuzzy (I intend to change the name) is the smaller black hooded girl.

file.jpg

The lone male in my previous post was rehomed by the woman that found him. We do have one, possibly two lone males available in the future, they're just not ready for adoption yet. One is a male I'm receiving on Sunday that has been alone his whole life (2 years) and can only be handled with gloves - I'll add more details once he's in my care.

It's hard to believe that pet rats come in as 'strays'. What are people thinking?!
I'm glad that seven ratties now have forever homes! (Even if you now qualify as a 'failed' foster - LOL)

Joanne said:
It's hard to believe that pet rats come in as 'strays'. What are people thinking?!
I'm glad that seven ratties now have forever homes! (Even if you now qualify as a 'failed' foster - LOL)

Most of our rats come in as strays rather than surrenders. Sometimes you know people are lying (Dizzy and Smudge that are with crumbilina were clean and well fed and had names) but most of the time they're not. I always wonder about the ones we don't find.

Several new rats have come in to the shelter the past few days. Two very sick males (they are in foster receiving treatment and if they survive will be adopted by their foster), two two-month-old baby girls (pictures to come), and Jay, an 18 month old male.

The pics of Jay aren't great, they were taken with an iPod shortly before he left for foster:

051.jpg

056.jpg

He's a very sweet boy and has the most gorgeous, soft and shiny black fur.

Back