Montreal SPCA - Exotics Department - many, many rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoria

The Exotics Department of the Montreal SPCA is entirely volunteer run and tries to find homes for 100% of animals surrendered to the shelter. We are always looking for volunteers, foster, and most importantly, adoptive homes for our many critters. We regularly have rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, ferrets, rats, hamsters, and more available to foster or adopt.

If you're interested in fostering or adopting or would like more information, contact martineallard6 at gmail dot com

The Montreal SPCA is located near the intersection of Jean Talon and the Decarie, a short walk from Namur Metro. If you're interested in volunteering, contact kyla.bertram at gmail dot com

****************************************************************************************************************

La mission du département des animaux exotiques de la SPCA de Montréal est de prendre soin de tous les animaux qui arrivent au refuge et de trouver un foyer permanent pour chacun d'entre eux. Nous avons plusieurs types d'animaux qui ne demandent qu'à être adoptés : lapins, cochons d'Inde, hamsters, rats, gerbilles, souris, furets, chinchillas, perruches (et autres oiseaux), hérissons, etc.

La SPCA de Montréal est située près du métro Namur et du blvd Décarie. Si vous désirez devenir bénévole, veuillez contacter Kyla Bertram: kyla.bertram @ gmail.com.
Pour adopter un animal ou devenir famille d'accueil, écrivez plutôt à Martine Allard: martineallard6 @ gmail.com.

Since last Friday, we have received (or will receive) [s:33kiot60]16 rats[/s:33kiot60] 18 rats.

We were contacted by a student about [s:33kiot60]9[/s:33kiot60] 11 albino (we think Sprague Dawley in case it makes a difference to anyone) boys that are surplus at a local vet tech program that we agreed to take in because they would be euthanized otherwise. They were born November 24 or December 14 and live in two groups - I believe it's a group of 5 and a group of four but I'll know for sure tomorrow. (Pictures to come.)

[glow=red:33kiot60]5 adopted, six were transferred to the North Alliston Humane Society.[/glow:33kiot60]

Then we were contacted by a snake owner who's snake went into hibernation about 4 three week old rats. We could not find a nursing mom, so they are being fostered right now and seem to be doing well. [s:33kiot60]We think it's three boys and one girl but that may change.[/s:33kiot60] It's three girls and one boy, the three girls will be adopted when ready.

[glow=red:33kiot60]Adopted![/glow:33kiot60]

DSCI0012.jpg

DSCI0018.jpg

DSCI0019.jpg

Last night there was an older female (18 months) surrendered. She recently lost her cage mate and her owners did not want other rats. She has a scratch above her eye (we were told it was self inflicted when she was surrendered but we don't think so) and is in foster to make sure it doesn't get infected.

[glow=red:33kiot60]Adopted![/glow:33kiot60] :joy:

100_3180.jpg

100_3181.jpg

Last but not least, Rami and Reese. These boys have been for sale on kijiji for quite some time and now the owner is getting desperate and contacted us. She is out of our service area (the pound that serves her area does not rehome rodents and will euthanize them right away) and we would love to take them but we are already really full. We will try our best to find a home or space for these two, they seem to be well cared for and she may be able to keep them for a few more weeks.

IMG_6249.jpg

IMG_6239.jpg

If anyone can foster or adopt any of these guys, please contact martineallard6 at gmail dot com. Thanks!!!

(Transport may be available to Ontario (GTA) in March.)

So sad... :sad3:

I am falling for that older girl - I'm so afraid she will never find a home due to her age! Sent an email to BF... Taking in a 1,5 year old girl does not impact in my mind my goal to go down to four rats... plus that would even out my boy/girl number and maybe help Chester relax a bit (he started barbering again, poor nervous boy).

Unepuce said:
So sad... :sad3:

I am falling for that older girl - I'm so afraid she will never find a home due to her age! Sent an email to BF... Taking in a 1,5 year old girl does not impact in my mind my goal to go down to four rats... plus that would even out my boy/girl number and maybe help Chester relax a bit (he started barbering again, poor nervous boy).

Oh that would be lovely...taking in oldies doesn't count btw ;)

That would be great Nancy! Let me know, I won't get anybody's hopes up until you are sure.

P.S. You can just email me directly and I'll set up an appointment for you.

Just emailed Victoria to tell her it's a go! :dance:

I sure hope she will bring balance to the cage, it's a bit fuzzy since Lili left...

victoria said:
Last night there was an older female (18 months) surrendered. She recently lost her cage mate and her owners did not want other rats. She has a scratch above her eye (we were told it was self inflicted when she was surrendered but we don't think so) and is in foster to make sure it doesn't get infected.

[glow=red:1j2hpdyf]Adoption Pending[/glow:1j2hpdyf] :joy:

100_3180.jpg

100_3181.jpg

Tonight, I am driving to the SPCA to meet up with Victoria and pick up my girl! :joy:

Just need to settle on the exact time and I will be taking her home. I am told she needs a lot of socialization (or maybe she's just scared after losing her cagemate and her humans, and being brought to unfamiliar places with strangers?) so eventhough I feel up to the challenge, I might come running for advice. I hope she will settle down and relax after a couple of "routine" days.

She reminds me of both Mac and Lili (RIP) -she's got Mac's coloring and Lili's face and eyes. Actually, coloring aside, she looks exactely like Lili in that first picture. :heart:

I have a feeling we'll get along pretty well - hopefully I'll confirm tonight! :dance:

She's home!!! I'll start her own thread tonight, but I wanted to close her adoption on here first!

I picked her up last night - she is a doll! She is so tiny - I just cannot believe she is 18 months old! Her wound looks like she actually was bitten by a cat - she has the one showing on the picture on top of her eyes, but also others below her jaw. Poor little girl! It's healing up nicely though, doesn't seem to bother her one bit. And about her socialization needs... none required! She doesn't like to be held, but that's the case for most of the females I've had, so I think it was just a mix of fear and pain.

I drove her back home on the passenger seat, in my small carrier. I decided to be bold and keep the lid of the carrier opened with my hand in it. She only tried to get out once, and when we were closing on home, she lied in the spot between the wall of the carrier and my hand and as I was petting and scratching her, she started bruxing and boggling like crazy! I am thankful it was dark outside, because people driving by would have thought that open mouthed lady with an extatic grin was crazy! :laugh4: I even got a few kisses out of her!

I spoke to her all the way home, and she now knows my voice - BF was talking to her through the cage bars and when I approached and said hi, she left him and came straight to me. :heart: We took her to bed with us before calling it for the day - she explored a bit under the sheets, and settled down next to BF.

I never was so quick to find a name for a new friend - we called her Princesse. It feels like a childish name to me, but I just thought it fit her and apparently so did BF cause he accepted it right away (we never agree on names - proof is in my signature for Hunter and Tanner! LOL).

More to come tonight - I am planning on starting intros right away :D

Thanks a million Victoria! :hugs:

Yay! I got home so late last night I didn't have the energy to update the thread. We found a few adopters for the other rats as well, so I have to sift through my emails and get a count and update the totals.

I had her out for a few minutes before Nancy arrived and she was not as skittish as I expected at all. She squealed when I plucked her out of the cage but once she was out she happily hung out on my shoulder while I did a department check at the beginning of my shift. SO happy she's home! I think she'll be really happy to have friends again :)

I honestly think she cannot wait to meet them. BF put Hunter on the couch with her (this boy is so laid back and energetic at once, I think I'm in love with him!) and they sort of did a mating dance where they kept running on top and under one another and she was teasing him and pushing him away... they were on common grounds, with hiding places and all and no puffiness, no aggression, just playing a "I want to meet you in a boy-girl way" game. Can't wait for intro tonight. Hope I won't be proved wrong and it will go as smoothly as I expect it to go! I am even dreaming of a move in this weekend!!! :doh:

All of the rats in the first post have been adopted or transferred.

Two weeks ago, a woman with her kids noticed a box on the floor of the metro station was moving. She was too scared to open it but she did take it to the SPCA next door. The box was small so it was given to volunteers in the Exotics Department and they took it into the washroom to take the tape off and open it and they found eight 5 week old rats inside. Two boys and two girls have been adopted, and we have four boys still available. They have a mild URI so they are in foster care but I met these boys at the shelter and they are absolute sweethearts The black self (Noiro) is the most social and outgoing, followed by the two beige babies (Buzz and Bizz), and then Ivo (Siamese) who's a little skittish but settles down once he's in your hands or shoulders.

These pictures were taken the day they arrived and they aren't the best. Ivo did not have his Siamese markings then but he very definitely does now. When they are settled in at their foster home, I will try to get more current pictures.

Ivo (Siamese)
4699ddb6.jpg

Bizz (beige self)
ca038dd5.jpg

Buzz (beige self)
ff1d616a.jpg

Noiro (black self)
c0d46ae9.jpg

Back