Injured Young Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If she got any fluids into her lungs she could have pneumonia or a respiratory infections. I believe she is on baytril right? She might need another antibiotic added. If she is off the pain med she might need more.

If she got any fluids into her lungs she could have pneumonia or a respiratory infections. I believe she is on baytril right? She might need another antibiotic added. If she is off the pain med she might need more.

The 2nd vet took her off Baytril and put her on SMZ-TMP. She couldn't give pain meds at all because she thinks the injection of the steroid caused a stomach issue. I'll go ahead and call to see if they can get her in if there is another option to add on to the current antibiotic.

The 2nd vet took her off Baytril and put her on SMZ-TMP. She couldn't give pain meds at all because she thinks the injection of the steroid caused a stomach issue. I'll go ahead and call to see if they can get her in if there is another option to add on to the current antibiotic.

Tmz is one of those drugs that is ineffective with Mycoplasma, and is not a great choice for respiratory issues. Go back to the good vet asap

The soonest she can see her is tomorrow pm 23 hrs from now. Theyre going to call me if someone cancels though.

What is something a knowledgeable vet would put her on? I don't want to leave there with something that isn't going to help and she seemed open to my input last week

Last edited:
I just noticed she has two separate scabs, the one of the back of her neck, and one more in the middle of her back. The one on the back of her neck hasn't gotten any bigger but the other one I swear wasn't there before. She did have 2 meds injected so I suppose 2 different spots, and maybe I'm just noticing the 2nd one because she's losing weight. Can't wait to get to the vet.

ETA: Olivia just ate some left overs my sister brought home from work. yay :)

Last edited:
Your poor little girl! I'm glad she and you are fighters! I agree with Lilspaz and Dspch911 re: the meds.
I'm happy to hear she had something to eat. That's a good sign. :)

looking raggedy but eating (of all things, she's eating hash browns lol, i hope that's not too bad for her, i figure better than nothing) and also drinking, she drinks out of both the water bottle and the water dish.

hopeful that the eating is a good sign. i can't imagine if she were deteriorating she'd be starting to eat.

sad thing is she seems to not really like me, probably because i have to give her the medication which bothers her a lot. when i bring her out of the cage she climbs off my lap and right back into the cage.

eating01.jpg

drinking01.jpg

Good news is that Olivia's lungs are actually clear and no pneumonia. Bad news is the vet thinks there's damage to her nasal area and that's what's causing the noisy breathing at times. She said knocking her out and looking might not tell us anything, and thinks we should just keep on course since Olivia's eating now and more active. She's a little concerned about the scabs on Olivia's back and that Olivia might be scratching at herself or her cagemate is. She suggested separating them, do you think that would be wise or would that be hard on both of them? They're already in my extra cage so I'll either have to separate the DCN or use the stupid aquarium that we have (when we first got a rat didn't know anything and had an aquarium instead of a cage). I don't want to separate them if it'll distress them. I haven't seen them fighting or heard ANY squeaking, and the cage is next to me almost all the time.

First off, in my books eating is a very good sign, so yay!
Now about the scabs; it's not from her buddy. The most likely sources are either from the injections of Baytril the first vet gave her, or from mites or other buggies. If they are from the injections, I don't think there's anything you can do except wait for things to heal. If they are from mites, then you can dose them with something like Revolution. If using Revolution, it is a one-time treatment of one drop of kitten strength Revo. for each rat (There are two concentrations.) Then give the cage a really good scrub and wash any bedding in hot, soapy water, and freeze anything else like wooden huts for a couple of days. It is VERY common for rats to get bugs from bedding, or their prior living situation, and it's easy to treat. I would treat for it regardless. It can't hurt and it can certainly help!
I would NOT separate the baby from her buddy. That would probably make her sicker.
And don't feel bad about medicating her. I find you end up having the strongest bond with the ones you nurse. Right now she still feels like crap. Give her time! :)

What about fleas? I saw a flea on my strictly indoor cat last night. Havent seen any on the other cats or any rats. But I will treat all of them. Not sure with what? Store bought flea meds dont work, do i get the kitten flea treatment from the vet and if so how much do i use? (Frontline has been reliable) Any tips

eta no frontline for rats ive read. hope revolution is as good

eta anything safe and effective besides revolution? nobody will sell it to me unless they see all my animals -13 rats and 3 cats. simply impossible.

Last edited:
What about fleas? I saw a flea on my strictly indoor cat last night. Havent seen any on the other cats or any rats. But I will treat all of them. Not sure with what? Store bought flea meds dont work, do i get the kitten flea treatment from the vet and if so how much do i use? (Frontline has been reliable) Any tips

eta no frontline for rats ive read. hope revolution is as good

eta anything safe and effective besides revolution? nobody will sell it to me unless they see all my animals -13 rats and 3 cats. simply impossible.

You can order it online from Australia (gets around the prescription rules, but it can take up to 2 weeks)

Pets Megastore

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/revolution-c-165_6_159.html

The vet sold me one tube of the kitten Revolution to get a dose for Olivia. How many rats would one tube treat? Her dose is teeny

Olivia's being doing fine then tonight now she keeps squealing out of nowhere,,, the sound rats make sometimes when they're skirmishing. I keep checking and she's not caught on anything and her sister wasnt around her the first time. Why would she be squealing, isn't that if she was in pain?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYOkqvnqmgQ[/ame]

(You can only hear it at 7 seconds but this is what she's doing on and off)

Last edited:
Here's one where you can see her. Something about her mouth.... I did give her ibuprofen last night and she didn't cry for several hours, but is at it again this morning.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAJZ0eXpqY[/ame]

Back