Injured Young Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lilysscab.jpg

I know there's more but I cannot think what to search under to find them. LOL

I'm not sure I would want to risk her going repeatedly then??? Should I ask for something else to be injected?

Thought I could add that if you have a vet willing to cooperate you could start giving tramadol now. It is a great pain med for ratties.

Your poor baby! I have nothing different to add except I hope she continues to recover. Hopefully she will feel better with some pain meds so will start to eat. Is she drinking OK?

She isn't taking as many drinks today, no. But she might be getting some on her own, now that she's moving around, that I've just not seen.

Ask for oral baytril, you know how to syringe it in now...its better for her. Just make sure they make it really concentrated like 50 mg/ml (or down to 25 mg/ml) which would be a tiny dose. (.08 cc once a day or .04 cc once a day for 50 mg/ml)

Sounds like you have things under control now. Told you lilspaz would help you figure this out - she's one of our live savers. Healing vibes to the little one - does she have a name, or did you mention it and I've missed it? :getwell:

Olivia is her name.
She's still not drinking much and the vet I took her to yesterday can't get her in for fluids. Should I try to give her water with the medication syringe? I went ahead and got the oral baytril for her

Olivia is her name.
She's still not drinking much and the vet I took her to yesterday can't get her in for fluids. Should I try to give her water with the medication syringe? I went ahead and got the oral baytril for her

Yes, you can try syringing water, pedilyte, ensure, soy formula very carefully - or just drip it she might take it that way or lick it off your finger. If she will eat something you can try watermelon or another fruit/veggie with water content in it. It only takes a minute or two to SQ fluids that's strange you vet couldn't do it.

The vet sees by appointment only and they were booked.
She took the Baytril pretty well. She's getting .2 2X a day, in a bottle made from a 22.7 baytril tablet and it says quanitity: 2. It doesn't say how many days to give it to her.
She's still pretty weak but seems more aware today and isn't doing the loud breathing as much.

The vet sees by appointment only and they were booked.
She took the Baytril pretty well. She's getting .2 2X a day, in a bottle made from a 22.7 baytril tablet and it says quanitity: 2. It doesn't say how many days to give it to her.
She's still pretty weak but seems more aware today and isn't doing the loud breathing as much.

Good news! Are you still giving her the tylenol?

yes, she doesnt act any different but hopefully it's helping some. i have to imagine the longer she sticks it out the better her chances are, so just taking it day by day

ok i know it's probably not the #1 choice of what she should be eating, but i put a few little Oxbow Simple Rewards Strawberry treats in for Olivia's litter mate Rowena, and they are both eating them :) first thing i've seen her eat in 2 days.

ok i know it's probably not the #1 choice of what she should be eating, but i put a few little Oxbow Simple Rewards Strawberry treats in for Olivia's litter mate Rowena, and they are both eating them :) first thing i've seen her eat in 2 days.

I look at as at least she is eating. Antibiotics are giving for 6 weeks. Glad to hear she is doing better.

UPDATE:
I called the original vet again this morning about getting Olivia in for fluids. They transferred me to the tech who saw Olivia with the vet Tuesday, and he was kind of short with me, saying she's "guarded" and saying they could "possibly" give her fluids. Something about his attitude put me off and I decided to call another vet who said on the website they have someone who sees rats.

I got in within 15 minutes and almost immediately she came in and said she was changing the antibiotic from Baytril because of its effects on joint development. So she changed that to SMZ TMP (Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole) .15 ML 2X a day (I don't know the concentration, it doesnt say on bottle). She didn't hesitate to give fluids. She did say she thinks the dextra shot may have caused GI problems, which rules out a lot of pain meds that they could either give or suggest off-label. During the visit I noticed a scab where they gave Olivia the Baytril shot and the vet said that could be the Baytril burn but that right now it doesn't look too bad just use a children's ointment on it.

She didn't come out and say it but I don't think she agrees with the original vet's treatment route. I suppose competing vets do that sometimes but I haven't had it happen before. The closest she came was to say she's sorry for the experience at the other vet, even though I didn't complain about it.

So we'll see.

Here's the scab on the back of her neck. It doesn't look too bad at this point.

baytril.jpg

keep an eye on it...right now the tissue is dying from the injection and it will continue to get worse and worse.

Your current vet was really peeved at the treatment you received...vets rarely say anything negative about their colleagues and when she did so unprompted meant she was really annoyed. Good! It was terrible questionable treatment for this issue.

Glad she got fluids and even though the new antibiotic won't help if she has a myco outbreak it will help prevent any infection with the wounds.

also she's down already to 78 grams. she's going to starve isn't she? if i give her more than .3 CC of anything at a time her breathing gets horrible for at least an hour afterwards. :( how often would i need to feed her .3 cc of the ensure in order for it to make any difference?

Back