Harry mouth and nose turning bluish purple and back legs getting weaker

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it normal for his breathing to stay a bit labored? He is up moving around today even running well trying to run haha sometimes his back legs turn into skis but doesn't stop him from scooching them along.

His brother is breathing a bit heavy today...So frustrating! I had him out yesterday and he was fine..gonna start him on baytril and doxy and give him say a week to improve? Or should I try the heart meds now with him? He isn't housed with his brother anymore because he is a hormonal mess and was going to get a neuter this check! But once again got other vet bills haha come tax time gonna have at least 5 surgeries so hope the vet has a free day :) will I still be able to neuter him if he has a heart problem? Poor kid can't leave your arms cause as soon as his feet hit the ground he goes hulk and will attack so only out time he gets is being held..

I don't know, likely depends on the problem .... but definitely no surgery if respir. issues :(

poor boy
I would try baytril + doxy + zithro if possible, or baytril + zithro (10 mg/Ib) orally, twice a day
but I never have much luck with baytril + doxy

and if antibiotics don't help then test dose for a heart issue

Ok I don't have zithro and won't be able to get it till next week but she won't perscribe it without seeing him first so I'll have to call Monday and ask for them to add him to Harry's appointment since they are closed till then for stupid holiday..I'll just do baytril for now until Thursday..

Ok I will add it in :) thanks so much for the help! I'll let you know if anything changes for the bad.

Our poops are looking like this! Should I be concerned? Alex and jack had poops like this right before I had to have them pts.. Maybe its the chicken baby food?

I checked him with the skin test and it went straight back down.. His breathing is getting more labored again and so is his brothers :( but schnitzel sounds fine but harry has times he sounds like a whistle when he is breathing.. I'm at a loss at this point and next Thursday can't come soon enough and maybe the vet can find something or give me something like the azitho and other heart med you suggested.. This is not a good month for brothers.. Losing Alex and jack on the 3rd and now these guys and my human brothers are bickering like old women haha I just don't know but I'll keep giving meds and hope we canget them to their appointment next week.

They are closed rest of this week and booked Monday and Tuesday.. Closed Wednesday and only had two openings Thursday and I took earliest they had. Hate the holidays!

I'll call Friday morning and double check that they are closed but pretty sure the receptionist said they were but wouldn't be the first time she has misinformed people. Fingers crossed they are and she will squeeze them in for me.

You can give lasix more frequently if needed ..... instead of once every 12 hours, you could give once every 8 hours (ie 3xs/day), or once every 6 hrs (ie 4xs/day) and/or increase the dose
But watch out for dehydration, give lots of tasty treats (such as watermelon) to keep him hydrated and be prepared to give sub-Q fluids if necessary

River is on Lasix 3xs/day

Meds is becoming a very slow process! One of his eyes is bulgy today but his breathing isn't getting worse and has some energy though he insist on doing things with his weak back legs..they like to slide out from under him when he walks and don't have much push/jump power

This little face is breaking my heart! Waiting out meds again :) takes him about an hour now to finish them

He has his good days and bad days and yesterday he was cool to the touch and restless but today I'd like to say is a good day as he even attempted to play with me for a few seconds but winded himself haha. I added doxy to his night meds as well so now he is getting enacard,lasix and baytril in the morning and enacard,lasix and doxy at night. Hopefully his appointment and xray goes well and we can add the second heart med and get some azithro for his brother and my husband chronic sneezer! The problem with having 25 rats is not just one gets sick at a time lol it's almost always 2-4 at a time with some issue but I will hopefully not have any news till thursday!

We are now sneezing blood out of our nose :( He is moving around even running a bit..getting excited and wanting to play..eating and drinking is still touch and go but we are getting enough to stay hydrated but definitely sneezing blood and I can hear it gurgling in his nasal passage .lots of grooming of the nose

Back