HARLAN TEKLAD orders! LAST CALL!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it cost double the price to ship 2 bags to Ottawa? I have some friends who will take some of the food, so am wondering whether I should do 2 bags.

Also, how do I pay you?

Shipping stays the same - Canada Post doesn't give discounts for multiple shipments. :| 2 in one box puts it overweight and it can't be lifted.

Cheques and money orders are fine with me. If you use PayPal you will have to include the extra amount to cover the paypal fees. (2.9% + 30 cents).

Hi everyone. *waves* I don't want to make yet another topic so I'm posting a question about this food here...

I am in the US so I can order from Kim's Ark - should I? I've never heard of the food before so... yeah. And for 2 baby rats, how much should I order so that it won't go bad before I've used it all up? Thanks in advance. :)

Do we think it's going to be a year until the next one or do you think we would be ordering more for everyone in 6 or so months.

fireworks said:
Hi everyone. *waves* I don't want to make yet another topic so I'm posting a question about this food here...

I am in the US so I can order from Kim's Ark - should I? I've never heard of the food before so... yeah. And for 2 baby rats, how much should I order so that it won't go bad before I've used it all up? Thanks in advance. :)

Harlan is considered the best lab block out there, and as you can tell since we Canadians don't get a chance at it very often we are scuffling around like its a Boxing Day Sale :mrgreen:

From Kim's Ark she usually sells it for $1 a pound plus shipping *(might be a little more with the increase in grain prices) plus shipping. On average a single rat (adult) eats about a pound a month (they say :roll:) so you can use that as a rough estimate.

Rats like Harlan Teklad blocks very much, its quality ingredients and you can get a range of protein/fat percentages. I like 2014, 2016, and 2018 myself (with respective 14%, 16% and 18% protein).
You just need to supplement with veggies, a little fruit and a little protein and you should have nice healthy rats on that diet.:D

Figure on roughly 1lb/rat/month.

From personal experience young rats seem like they eat more than older rats (at least in my house)... must be the fast metabolism.

Lise said:

From personal experience young rats seem like they eat more than older rats (at least in my house)... must be the fast metabolism.
Yep, same here, once they reach 12 months, they don't eat as much.

jorats said:
Lise said:

Yep, same here, once they reach 12 months, they don't eat as much.

Hmmmmm could you come over and tell that to a few of my girls?

I was going to say the same thing, lol. The 28 monthers eat way more than the 6 month squirts. God help you if you come between them and a lab block.

:gaah: I am so sorry guys!

The pet store that said they would buy 20 bags and also store my extra bags has backed out of their deal! This is so freakin' annoying.

So, right now I'm toying with the idea of buying a big used freezer and putting it in my garage to store the extra bags. The plan kind of hinges on my being able to find a big one for a price I can afford.

Without a large volume partner this whole plan could very well be going down the tubes. Our alternatives are to buy food from the store in Guelph, where it will be $20 per bag OR to form a partnership with a lab that does animal testing. I have serious ethical issues about dealing with animal researchers. If it comes to that someone else might have to take over running our little Harlan co-op.

I need to talk to someone who is as crazy as I am when it comes to our little ratty friends so I'm going to call Shelagh and bounce some ideas off of her. I'm not going to to it tonight because I know she's got her hands and mind full trying to help poor Bradley.

I'll post as soon as I know what to do.

Question for the east coast family - are you OK with paying $20 a bag?

Also hinging on the fact - can the Guelph source obtain 60 spare bags to accomodate for everyone?

I can't necessarily speak for everyone here out east, but I am still very interested at $20/bag. When I used to get the big bag of Oxbow it cost over $100 with shipping, so $20 looks good. I would bet that SQ feels the same way.

I will pay $20 a bag!!! Let me know total when you figure it out and I will send a cheque or use godmothers paypal ... whatever works for you.
I've got my eye on a small freezer to store it in here ... lol
Just need to rob a bank first :doh:

Bought all the bags of hamster blocks Walmart had ... should keep the zoo fed for almost a week :(
Do have a couple of those small, $20 bags of oxbow but they aren't as popular ... which might be a good thing ...

I will pay 20 a bag as well....I did the same thing SQ did and bought all Wallmarts food and a few bags of Oxbow....which my kids love.....

Hey Mumsy,

I'll take another bag. I think I ordered 3, but lets make it 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back