Feeder Breeder Girl

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a scale that came with a bucket thing. I weigh it with their fave cereal and then put in a rat and weigh it again. :) they are usually ok with sitting in there long enough to weigh em.

I tried food but she is a smart cookie and won't fall for it haha the scale that I have is pretty small and has a glass top for easy cleaning. I will look into one with the bowl top and maybe that will work better but she is pretty quick to run away even when yummy food is present :(

I had the same scale that was mentioned, with a little low walled bucket/tray and I noticed that when I put a small fleece blankie in there, my boys were more mellow and relaxed and at least stayed still long enough for a weigh-in...without the blanket in there, they freaked out a little and were so wiggly. I think the soft feel of fabric soothed them and felt more comforting. ;)

So even though today is only day 24 of Hope's stay here I decided today is the day to move her to a bigger cage :) She isn't really sure what to think of it but I can tell she likes it more then her tiny cage.Now I get to have the task of picking one of the other girls to be her cage mate and she gets along great with all the other girls except the two thug sisters haha ceci and raven are to young and crazy, they even get on my girls nerves from time to time so that leaves gabby and zoey but those two are bffs so I really don't know but I don't want her to be alone anymore. She was great today during free range time and let me pet her a bit and even played with me for about 5 seconds haha. We are making progress!!

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

I haven't decided quite yet but I am thinking if no babies for one of our new girls tt and since I have already introduced her to all the other girls and the two she does best with is gabby, honey (tt's cage mate) I am hoping that her and tt will get along and I can put her with them and they can be a trio :) They will probably be up for adoption long before poor Hope since she has such a long way to go medically and emotionally but in this town homes are few and far between so the older girls especially are probably gonna be stuck with us for life :) I am sure it also doesn't help that we live right across the river from a breeder so any homes that are available go to cute dumbo babies....

I put gabby in with hope a little bit ago (30 minutes or so) and it was the cutest and saddest thing I have ever seen...I don't think that she has ever had a female companion :( The first 10 minutes that gabby was in there she followed her everywhere and everything gabby did she did or tried to do..Gabby jumped from the floor of the cage to the shelf and hope attempted it as well with no luck being she is totting around that big tumor. Gabby climbed in the hammocks and hope followed, gabby started drinking and hope started drinking haha gabby grabbed some food out of the food bowl and hope followed. Was like watching a toddler repeat an adult and it broke my heart a little bit but also made me giggle at the same time. That being said, gabby is not a fan of being away from the other girls so I am gonna have to try and figure something out or maybe let her get use to being with hope?

The size difference between these two girls also cracks me up. Gabby is just a week or so short of being 1yr and I don't know how old hope is but I would say she is easily almost twice as big as gabby haha.

IMG_1550.jpg

That's one heck of a size difference! I think I have midget rats--I've got one girl who's about 20 months old, and two girls who are about eight months, but they are all right around 300 grams.

Haha I have a girl that I call my mini rat and my daughter calls her chipmunk she is 8 months old and weighs 295 grams her sister is just slightly bigger at 313grams and gabby their momma comes in at 339grams... Hope the big girl in the picture is 460 grams! She is definitely the biggest female rat I have ever seen. She is such a sweet soul despite all her past injuries :( She needs surgery to remove her mammary tumor,a spay to decrease the chances of it returning and an x-ray to determine if her tail (which is currently not where it is supposed to be and the spot that it is supposed to be has a hard lump that the vet suspects is hardened scar tissue from multiple injuries most likely cause by being carried by her tail) is worth trying to fix because she has barely any use of it. But if it is to risky then we will leave it be since it doesn't seem to bother her and at this point the more we find out about the past horrors of her life the more we have to pick our battles if that makes sense.I also noticed today that her right front leg bows out when she puts to much weight on it so another thing to bring up at the vet to be checked.

So unfortunately Hope's tumor removal has been postponed until an unknown date because yesterday one of our dogs fell ill and so the money we had for her went to him x3 his bill was just short of a thousand dollars :( But hope is doing good and even getting a bit of a sassy attitude which I love! She still doesn't want us to pick her up but she is starting to love being petted and attempting to play :) I will definitely let everyone know when her surgery is done and she is on the road to recovery but for now we just don't have the money now and hopefully we can squeeze a bag of food out of what little is left but I am not sure of that either....This year had to kick me one more time before it was over.....

Hope is now cage mates with our other two older rescue girls Honey and TT :) I am so happy she now has friends to keep her company! Honey is in the box with her in this picture but you can't see past Hope's big butt...sadly her tumor is slowly getting bigger so we are hoping by mid jan. early feb to have the money saved back up to have it removed.Seems so far away...it needs to hurry up cause I can't wait to see her be able to run,jump and climb like a normal rat :( She has alot of spunk in her just waiting to come out! I forgot to add that she is doing great with her trust training and today was day 38 that she has been here and she finally let me pick her up without a fight and was relaxed the whole time! She gets excited now and comes to the front of the cage when I say her name :)

IMG_2072.jpg

Last edited:
He is doing much better :) As soon as he finished his antibiotics which he has 6 days left and then I have to schedule him to have his balls removed which he is gonna be not so thrilled about...Then once that is done and over with we can start putting away money again for the ratties and get Hope taken care of haha silly me I was so caught with preparing for rat disasters that it never occurred to me that my dogs could also fall ill...derp! So I am gonna start putting away money for that as well :)

Honey is still doing great with her trust training but she has her good days and bad days of course :) Today was a good day but her tumor is starting to grow at an alarming rate...It is getting close to the size of an egg now and it is becoming difficult for her to walk but she is somehow still in good spirits. Our dog goes the 13th of jan to be fixed and every bit of extra money after that is going straight to getting this thing off of her! I also think she is coming down with a URI cause her lungs sound like crud today and her little nose is whistling. This weather here isn't helping I am sure, one day it is in the 60's the next the 30's even I am getting a cold because of it :( She is quite interested in the camera so most picture I get are her trying to sniff it haha and then the background is my husband getting a manicure from Honey :)

IMG_2349.jpg

So Hope has been in super high spirits lately and has graduated from her trust training with flying colors! She now loves to be loved and is fine with being picked up now and held for long periods of time :) Lately she has been trying to run and climb alot which is so sad with that huge tumor on her leg but though it slows her physically, emotionally I don't think she really cares are gives a hoot. Now for the not so good news...The spot that we originally thought was from an old tail injury right where her tail is supposed to meet her spine (It is off to the side instead) has started to grow into what we fear is another tumor..Our dog gets neutered on tuesday and I was so happy cause I was gonna be able to start preparing to get this monster off of her but now we have to figure out whether this new growth is benign or malignant and if there are other masses hiding about in her. I really hope it is nothing serious and just be removed with the monster cause I am really looking forward to the day that she can do all the things she tries so hard to do..run,climb and just be a happy rat! We also have another appointment tuesday for her and honey so we will know more then..Gonna be a busy day.

IMG_2572.jpg

Back