Deep bite help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took off her immobilizer and the steristrips immediately came apart so I had to replace them. I put the immobilizer back on. Listening to her whimper through that makes me want to kill Penny.

:rolleyes2:

Dont be angry at penny. It is her instincts and her genes none of which she chose :) Be angry at the person who bred her. Those genes usually run deep in rats.

I actually happen to know who bred her and her brother. Should I contact her? I don't know where any if my other rats came from but I met the doe and buck that made them.

I saw the pic of the steristrips that you put on the first time. If you keep up like that, it should heal fine. Your baby will have a lovely scar to show off!
When I was down to three girls with one having a PT, I decided it was time to add to the colony so I wouldn't have one left on her own. Well, the two year old queen bee decided she was having none of that, and after several injuries (not quite as bad as yours!) I gave up, and she eventually was by herself until she passed, although her cage was right next door to the bigger cage so she would see/hear/smell them and perhaps not be lonely.

As for your Queen B, some rats are like that. I have a neutered boy here who adores his 3 girls, but will try to KILL any other rat he meets, female or not. Lovely Rizzo was wonderful with her 2 sisters...a real sweetie, they didn't even have scratches on their nakie selfs which is so unusual with 3 girls. I figured she would be an easy introduction...nope. She said No More and she's actually bitten and scratched me up when I had the smell of other rats on my hands before.

I would remove all newbies that are setting her off so no more injuries occur especially with the nakies having no fur protection. I think that cage is now capped, with your girl making the decision.

:yeah:

at least for now ...... sometimes rats become more receptive over time - months & months & months of time, and sometimes they don't.
Penny is adorable :heart:
At least she is in a group so she has friends .... and she was just doing her job - protecting herself and her group against new rats

Having more then one group is a pain but unless I misunderstood, it sounds like they all have friends to live with ... which is the important thing.
Hope your injured girl is soon feeling much better
and I may have missed it, but if you haven't done so I would suggest you consider antibiotics to prevent infection .... or consulting with your rat vet about antibiotics.
Hope both girls are doing much better today

Last edited:
Lol actually she had already been on clavamox for three days when that happened for an eye infection. Poor thing is all bent out of shape.

Penny is by herself right now simply because I want to make sure the others are okay with the new girls so they can share some extra out time.

Anyone ever tried anxiolytics for their rat? I am considering asking the vet about it. I know there are rats on antidepressants.

When my friend who's a specialized Veterinarian did a removal of an abscess for one of my rats, he left the wound open and said to keep it clean and put the rat on antibiotics and the wound would close on it's own and it did. Unless there is bleeding or internal organs are exposed wounds can heal on their own. If it is serious always take the rat to the vet for stitches and bandaging.

No, she is high anxiety and reactive. It would help her cope with the things that make her uncomfortable. I'm not talking about sedating her with a bunch of Valium or something, I just think a low dose, long acting (maybe like Klonopin) would take the edge off.

No, she is high anxiety and reactive. It would help her cope with the things that make her uncomfortable. I'm not talking about sedating her with a bunch of Valium or something, I just think a low dose, long acting (maybe like Klonopin) would take the edge off.

She needs a rattie shrink... a medicated rattie - I find that kind of funny... Is that really an option. You know, remedy rescue might help.
http://www.petherbsdirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=426&gclid=COmB8ceO_b8CFcRzMgodKEQAnA

We have the spray form here, but have never used it. The hubby thought it would help Kona when going to the vet, but it needs to be used constantly not just once so I have no idea why he bought it.

I would take her to the vet. A lot of people say wounds will heal just fine but I am a firm believer it's important to have our rats seen by experienced rat veterinarians. I had huge gashes occur once due to a fight among unneutered cagemates who'd been getting along fine for quite some time. I had to take Dwayne to an emergency vet clinic since it happened on a Sunday. The veterinarian and techs cleaned out the wounds, either sutured or glued the skin back together (can't remember) and prescribed antibiotics. This may not be want you want to hear, but I know you don't want to have her end up with complications later on because she didn't get care from a qualified veterinarian.

I never intended on not taking her to the vet. :) I already have an appointment on Thursday to make sure it is healing okay and not sprouting infection.

As far as Penny goes, she is nearly a year old so I don't think she would grow out of it. I have also considered beta blockers as I know rats can have them and they have helped me immensely with my anxiety.

The vet said she is healing well and he doesn't see any signs of infection. He decided to put 3 sutures in just to help the tissues come together a little better. She is still on clavamox, Metacam, and Tramadol and is in isolation most of the time. I let her mess with the other rats a bit during out time so they don't forget about her. Penny is on 0.5mg/kg Klonopin once per day. We will see if that helps her attitude.
egu5yduj.jpg
ude3eqez.jpg
ydy7yna5.jpg

Back