Bumbles - Abscess update 1/6/14

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twitch had a medium sized mammary tumor removed with a current PT that is being treated with bromocriptine. I didn't notice any regression at all after surgery. She is still doing great a month after surgery, though lately I have noticed her crossing her paws more (I do believe it has nothing to do with her surgery a month ago and could be her just regressing in general, like she would have whether she had the surgery or not). I asked my vet about anesthetic accelerating the growth of PT's and she said she doesn't know. She said she would think if anything it wouldn't effect the growth of the tumor itself, but that it could possibly exacerbate the symptoms of the tumor because of the brain swelling.

RattusNorvegicus said:
Just read through the thread. I am sorry you can't figure out what is going on!

How old is Bumbles? Can you post a picture of his lump and his dull eyes?

I cannot get a picture of his lump unless I shave the spot, but I don't think you'll see it then either cause its more internal than external. You can feel it and as of now I think it has stopped growing - or that is my opinion anyway. I will attempt to get one of his eyes but as soon as I take out a camera he's gone - he hates the camera. They get dull almost like he has a film over them and the left one sometimes bludges out a bit. I think for now since I haven't noticed an more growth in the lump we'll hold off on the removal. I hope we're making the right decision, but we have so many other sick boys that we have to prioritize right now. Bumbles is 19 months

I thought I read where surgery can make the symptoms show up. Aggravate it basically. I cannot remember if that was pt or something else.

So we still haven't decided on having this lump removed, but I'm leaning on the side of NO! It doesn't seem to have gotten any bigger, but I think its harder. I don't think its attached to anything other than its in his skin. I'm still worred about him and PT - I just cannot tell if he's showing symptoms or not. I think he's lost weight - I've asked for a scale for christmas... We are pretty sure he has become the aggressor in the cage as both our other boys have lacerations in excess of an inch long. We have also seen him attack Kona. A few times now he has mistaken my finger for a treat - not missing by a little, but by a lot. This could also be because of his poor eye sight. Or he is mad that I have the other boys smell on me and he is letting me know. I really think Curley kept the peace in that cage and without him they are lost. Finn was Bumbles buddy and Curley was Kona's - GMC was always a loner and just hangs around with whoever. My gut tells me it more than old age with him, but as long as he's passing the cheerio tests - I have hope. I just don't want to put him under and risk exacerbation of PT if he does have it... He see the vet again on Tuesday who suggested removal before christmas....

So the lump changed today and became this - from what I've seen on this forum I'm thinking abscess? Now, do we leave it alone and let it pop on its own or just wait until Thursday when he goes to the vet? Also, he is bleeding quite a bit right now from a fight w/GMC (which is how I noticed the lump changed) around his arm pit area. So I do not want to mess around with him anymore tonight - it was quite difficult cut the fur to take this picture. The lump didn't look like this last night when I looked at it.

IMG_5027_zps77485069.jpg

Yay!
Gross, disgusting, cheesy, smelly, goopey abscess= good news since it's not a tumor!
(I think it is one at least,I cannot tell you for sure; I haven't had one yet, lol)

Aida said:
Yay!
Gross, disgusting, cheesy, smelly, goopey abscess= good news since it's not a tumor!
(I think it is one at least,I cannot tell you for sure; I haven't had one yet, lol)

I haven't had one yet either, but it looks like one to me which I guess is good since I won't have to make the decision to surgically remove it. However, nothing seems to be so easy with these boys ... so I'm sure there will be a surprise twist . :emb:

What you want to do is try and pick that dark scab off. Try soaking him in warm water for 10 minutes to soften the skin, and then pick/gently squeeze it to see if it will drain.
Good news if it's an abscess!!!

I can almost put money that will be a good glob of green ickness. Good luck with that. I have a few hairless boys that get them often on their back hips it is a very common spot on the hairless boys. Where is his at?

hopefloats said:
I can almost put money that will be a good glob of green ickness. Good luck with that. I have a few hairless boys that get them often on their back hips it is a very common spot on the hairless boys. Where is his at?

Right side closer to his back leg, I will try to get it to pop when I get home from work. Not looking forward to that at all.... :sick2: Should I start him on baytril or doxy? He weighted 792g at last appointment

I never had an issued with those that requred meds. That is probably the same spot the hairless boys get them. If i think about it i will take a picture. I have 2 boys that have them on their back hips.

hopefloats said:
I never had an issued with those that requred meds. That is probably the same spot the hairless boys get them. If i think about it i will take a picture. I have 2 boys that have them on their back hips.

I'll try and get the thing drained tonight since he sees the vet Thursday ....

I FEEL LIKE THE WORST MOMMY EVER!!! I GOT IT TO POP, BUT HE CRIED JUST ABOUT THROUGH THE WHOLE THING!!!! :cry: :sad3: Here are after photos of the lump and the goo that came out.. Bums is now getting quality lap time and snuggles..... my poor boy!!

IMG_5028_zps43a2ebea.jpg

IMG_5035_zps4d69ee2c.jpg

Sorry I don't know how to put up spoilers. Does that look like abscess goo? It is REALLY thick

Poor baby, give him extra kisses and snuggles from us for being so brave. :heart:
Nice pics though! It's very satisfying to get all that crud out from under his skin. You'll probably find that the hole closes up overnight.

Joanne said:
Poor baby, give him extra kisses and snuggles from us for being so brave. :heart:
Nice pics though! It's very satisfying to get all that crud out from under his skin. You'll probably find that the hole closes up overnight.

It seems to have scabbed over already. It didn't seem that large of a lump to hold all that - hope it doesn't fill back up. Emailed the photos to the vet. I thought perhaps I squeezed something I shouldn't have since it was so think. Didn't smell bad though

dspch911 said:
Joanne said:

It seems to have scabbed over already. It didn't seem that large of a lump to hold all that - hope it doesn't fill back up. Emailed the photos to the vet. I thought perhaps I squeezed something I shouldn't have since it was so think. Didn't smell bad though
Maybe it was more of a keratinous cyst instead of infection...

Joanne said:
dspch911 said:
Joanne said:

Maybe it was more of a keratinous cyst instead of infection...

Does that mean I shouldn't of squeezed it???

Back