Should I...?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDK

So most of ya'll might know me by now, I started out with 2 rats from the start, one passed away shortly a month after due to URI and petstore evilness... My first boy Gizmo is still my first boy and still with me today, 2yrs old along with his brother, 2yr old Nes and our two little girls, Zera and Lyra, at 1yrs old for the both of them!

I have a DCN, and only 4 rats, and from what I'm told a DCN can hold up to 10 rats comfortably. So I guess my question is... should I....keep an eye out for some ratties in need of a home? I'm willing to take in 1 more I think, maybe 2 since I've handled 6 before in the past. I do know of the TX Lone Star Rat Rescue, but they do Facebook and don't have an actual website up and I don't do Facebook as of yet. Keeping an eye out on Craigslist has usually been my thing...but at this point I'm wondering if I should just be happy with my group of 4. They seem content with their setup. Two boys who are two years old each, and two girls both a 1yr old, what are the odds that its a good idea bringing youngsters into the group? :stickpoke:

I have seven in one DCN, I got them to be friends with the first five I had - that didn't work out. Remember you will need a cage to keep them in until you can intro them into your group. I'm all for getting more rats, but you need to be prepared if the intros don't go well that you may have a new colony. I also have all boys and from what I've read they are harder to intro - you have a mixed group which I believe makes it easier. I don't want to discourage, but I got the trio from a friend at work assume they would be healthy and that was the start of my URI's because one was sick. Good luck with what you decide...

It's a good time to adopt two more, so that you have a variety of ages. Otherwise can be sad to have a colony with only aging rats-- lots of sickness and death in a short time period. Younger ones sometimes revitalize the middle aged ones, too.

Great that you have extra room as I am sure that you will hear of a rat or two in desperate need of rescue.

Another thing to keep in mind is that as ratties age, their medical needs often increase so this may limit the number of rats you can care for.
As previously mentioned, a range of ages is nice.

Ya all what you said I have considered greatly, I have a vet I can trust, though far away he's treated my rats with care and with a cheap price. Just sad that currently on Craigslist its breeders...that are trying to get rid of rats, selling them as rat food...a clear sign they don't care about their animals. So I'll look to TX Rat Rescue and see if there are babies in need of a home.

I admit to being nervous! Just to bring up the idea to my husband, but even he's asked me "when do you think you want to get more?" and for awhile I thought I shouldn't because 4 appears to be the magic number for me. However now that my boys are both 2yrs old, the girls are 1yr, i thought maybe it won't hurt to get 6months or younger, at least 2.

But in order to do that and cooperate with the TX Rat Rescue... I'll have to grit my teeth and start up my own Facebook account. It was bound to happen for me since I am a 2D animator trying to get my name out, I need to take advantage of all media accounts wehre I can... I just didn't want to use Facebook because my entire family uses it, I don't want to be stalked by pervs, nor annoyed by the family more then I already get now LOL!! :cheeky: but... it was gonna happen eventually. So I'll let it seep into my reality, and remind myself of the benefits to it, I can finally be in contact with a reliable rescue group close by me, and my 2D career will have a better chance of taking off.

EDK said:
But in order to do that and cooperate with the TX Rat Rescue... I'll have to grit my teeth and start up my own Facebook account.
I still do not have a Facebook account. You can get around it if you really want. All you need is a phone number or e-mail address to contact the rescue. Some Facebook accounts are visible to the general public - theirs may be. If I had to, I would get one of my friends who IS on Facebook to get an e-mail address for me if I couldn't get it myself.
Turning down a forever home just because they are not "on Facebook" is ridiculous reason, and I'm sure they're not that short-sighted.

Joanne said:
EDK said:
But in order to do that and cooperate with the TX Rat Rescue... I'll have to grit my teeth and start up my own Facebook account.
I still do not have a Facebook account. You can get around it if you really want. All you need is a phone number or e-mail address to contact the rescue. Some Facebook accounts are visible to the general public - theirs may be. If I had to, I would get one of my friends who IS on Facebook to get an e-mail address for me if I couldn't get it myself.
Turning down a forever home just because they are not "on Facebook" is ridiculous reason, and I'm sure they're not that short-sighted.

Ya I don't think they are short sighted, its just thats the only contact website I know of they have, and I couldn't find an obvious email to reach them, I can't even tell whos in charge of this Facebook account. Clearly I have no knowledge of Facebook, but meh... I could try again.

Success!!! I got a reply last night!

Apparently the TXRR are expecting an accidental litter within the next 2 weeks and are happy to work with me and my husband in picking out 2 little ratties to come home with us!

After talking about it we decided we'd rather settled on 2 neutered boys rather then girls since Zera tends to be a bully with everyrat in the cage, not hurting but just dominating alot, and the concern of introducing more girls in might heat things up. So just to make intros easier, we figured 2 neutered boys would be better, plus boys are laid back which we love! SO EXCITED!!! I just have to wait about 2 months, for them to be born, and to be old enough to be neutered.

Well its been almost 2 days since I heard back from them, they said they would send me an adoption form in an email but they've not replied so now I'm a bit nervous. Maybe I'm jumping the gun too early since they are a volunteer rescue center that doesn't get paid and do it on their own time, but still I hope I hear back from them soon.

EDK said:
Well its been almost 2 days since I heard back from them, they said they would send me an adoption form in an email but they've not replied so now I'm a bit nervous. Maybe I'm jumping the gun too early since they are a volunteer rescue center that doesn't get paid and do it on their own time, but still I hope I hear back from them soon.

They may just need a gentle reminder about the adoption form. I hope they get back to you soon. How exciting to be ready for new kids!

Joanne said:
They are probably thinking there is no rush since it will be several weeks before you can get your boys. Patience, Grasshopper...

LOL yes... yes master... *twitches* im just impatient and excited at once, but patience pays off because I got a reply last night with the application for adoption to fill out. They are very thourgh which I love, and its all been filled out... so now its another wait game! *Sits and waits patiently...well tries to* :panic:

I never judge my ability to take more kids by the size of the cage. Only by the size of my vet fund and my ability to replenish it!
Kids won't die die snuggling in a huge lump in one hammock in one tiny corner of the cage as they do sometimes, but they will no matter how big my cage is if I can't afford a vet.
That's how you have to make those decisions if you want to feel good rather than guilty about your babes when they leave you. Trust me, I've learned from heartache & experience.

I figure I need $100 available for each kid, the young ones hopefully won't need it, but some do, and you need to save at least that much for each one for when they are old.
Barring any unexpected stuff you have to be ready for antibiotics for respiratory troubles at least. Maybe pituitary tumor meds. May need Ensure for the old ones. And the vet visits cost of course!

Right now it's $50 just to see my vet. Sunny's meds are ongoing and cost $180 a year (don't know how old she is) but that's $230 for 1 yr with the vet visit (more than what I had put away for 2 kids even!).. Boomer's on her 2nd round of Baytril in her life, hopefully 1 round fixes her as before. My 3 others haven't needed any medical intervention at all. Sirocco & Frodo are only 14 months. Blue is over 2 yrs old but ok so far. So thank god for healthy kids when you have sick ones but what if the other 3 need help when they get old and Sunny's needed 3 kids savings? Vet fund savings are ongoing obviously.

You just judge your ability to take another kid by your ability to take care of their MEDICAL COSTS, not the cage size - for their well-being and your future peace of mind. They like to lump together so cage size really means nothing anyway unless you factor in whether that's their whole world, or whether they get out to explore other places & share time with you and how often.

I know what you mean Fidgit, but I do consider cage size as well as finances as I strongly believe a stress free rat is also a healthy one, they shouldn't be in tight spaces obviously hehe. But financially I'm not worried, pretty well secured on that for them now that I found the perfect vet for us, who basically fall under the same price range you recommended per rat.

Back