Bumbles - Abscess update 1/6/14

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

I noticed today Bumbles has the same dull eyes Curley got and the one seems to have a cloudy line through it. A couple days ago we started him on the baytril/doxy combo because he started wheezing, seems some rat starts every other day! Anyway, am I being paranoid for nothing? Is this a PT symptom that goes unnoticed? The other boys have shiny eyes??? I cannot lose another baby this soon - except maybe Oliver :giggle: Guess its vet time for him .....

Mr. Bums has an appointment on the 18th with the exotic doctor! Yea, they are all training in exotics and are there all the time!!!! Kona will have his bumps looked at and GMC his URI that will not go away ..... think its time to try new meds for this boy.

Bumbles went to the exotic vet - verified and verified this time - they only see exotics and an occasional cat/dog. Anyway, he looked at his dull eyes and his left eye is bulging out more than the right. Kona's eyes are the same dull w/left bulging out. This might be a PT symptom so we are on PT watch from now on - :gaah: The other day Bumble's took a banana and was just licking it - I stood there for what seemed like forever with the little voice in my head saying "grab the banana, use your paws" over and over again until he finally did. Although PT is a rat thing the doctor said its also a genetics thing and these are Curley's boys. I cannot do PT again this soon, but I also cannot worry everyday that its lurking inside them. :panic: So far, GMC is fine shiny equal eyes - he just has the URI. The boys are now on a different concentration of baytril/doxy and something holistic for their immune systems.

jorats said:
Has your vet mentioned trying dex or pred to slow down the PT?

Not officially calling it PT we are just watching for symptoms they are using all paws and can right themselves when turned put on their backs. We're just watching in case the dull eyes and the bulging eye does turns out to be an early indicator of PT. It could be something else entirely so they are on higher concentration baytril/doxy for right now. I have no idea if Curley had a bulging eye, but he did have a dull eyes when he went blind - don't know when they went dull. I failed with Curley, didn't notice anything until he was quite advanced, but I promised him he wouldn't die for nothing and we would learn from this. So I'm more observant and Bumbles has dull eyes, but I don't know when he got them, but Kona only got them about a week ago. Does anyone know if these symptoms are an indicator of PT? If they start to show definite signs we will most definitely request dex/pred/bromo - whatever will help them at the beginning of symptoms.

Just an update, Bumbles has bright eyes on some days and dull on others so I have no idea what is going on with him. Kona has remained about the same, but I find him laying at the bottom of ladders a lot and Curley used to do that so that scares me. There are times he will not take treats with anything other than his mouth, but then he will go into a corner and grab it with his paws - and I can breathe again!!! That darn PT has me on edge watching every little thing the do or don't do!!

I have no idea what is going on his this boy, but he has been attacking Kona lately. These boys never fight/have never fought. They spoiled us into thinking rats were always so well behaved. We noticed it while the other boys were out for their playtime, but he was going after Kona when they were out for their play time last night too. Kona seemed afraid to go near him. Bums in the smallest in that cage, but is by no means small.... This has me more concerned about our PT watch since I have read they can become aggressive. He had the dull eyes yesterday and was squinting.

Don't know if I mentioned it early, but Bumbles also had a lump at his last appointment and today it is doubled in size. Vet does not think it is the same kind of fatty lumps Kona is getting and wants to remove it within the next 2-3 weeks. We are considering the removal, but are not going to pay to have it analyzed. Other than that everything else is about the same.

I hope the lump isn't any thing serious, poor Bubbles. Fingers crossed for the removal.
Hope the dull eyes thing isn't PT, what did the vet say about his eyes and aggression?

SarahA said:
I hope the lump isn't any thing serious, poor Bubbles. Fingers crossed for the removal.
Hope the dull eyes thing isn't PT, what did the vet say about his eyes and aggression?

His dull eyes come and go and as far as we know he was only been aggressive to Kona that one time so were still just watching him. He thinks from the rapid growth and the way the lump feels that it is different from Kona's. We're not spending the money to get it analyzed since it really won't make a difference in treatment and he maybe able to tell something from the way it looks.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5655&hilit=herbal+treatment+for+PT

Someone re posted the above thread and I brought it in for his option since they do a lot of the herbal stuff there and he said this is exactly what they would us for PT so we are keeping our options open for this should they should any definite symptoms.

dspch911 said:
SarahA said:

His dull eyes come and go and as far as we know he was only been aggressive to Kona that one time so were still just watching him. He thinks from the rapid growth and the way the lump feels that it is different from Kona's. We're not spending the money to get it analyzed since it really won't make a difference in treatment and he maybe able to tell something from the way it looks.

Someone re posted the above thread and I brought it in for his option since they do a lot of the herbal stuff there and he said this is exactly what they would us for PT so we are keeping our options open for this should they should any definite symptoms.

I had a browse over that thread a few days ago, I've never had to deal with PT but it defo interesting. Fingers crossed for your Bumbles your doing a great job caring for your furry babies. :cuddle:

SarahA said:
dspch911 said:
SarahA said:

I had a browse over that thread a few days ago, I've never had to deal with PT but it defo interesting. Fingers crossed for your Bumbles your doing a great job caring for your furry babies. :cuddle:

Thanks, we're trying - we feel we let Curley down not catching it sooner and told him we wouldn't do it again.. Kona, Bumbles, and GMC and his babies.

I have a concern about Bums - if we go ahead with this surgery and it turns out he is showing slight PT symptoms or is likely to get it due to family history - which vet isn't ruling out. Would putting him through surgery accelerate the disease? I'm just not sure what to do on this one.

Just read through the thread. I am sorry you can't figure out what is going on!

How old is Bumbles? Can you post a picture of his lump and his dull eyes?

It's a tough decision to do the surgery, that's for sure. If he never gets a PT, you will be kicking yourself that you didn't get the tumor removed. And if you do get the tumor removed, and he gets all the signs of a PT shortly afterwards, you will be kicking yourself that he had the surgery. Either way it's a gamble. I would probably get the tumor removed if I thought it was growing quickly.
And remember, anaesthetic doesn't CAUSE pituitary tumors. My Petunia had gas anaesthetic at least 10 times, and never developed a PT. Does it accelerate the progress of a PT? I'm not sure if it's been demonstrated with a proper study, or if this is all based on case reports, but "they" say it does. Maybe it's all just coincidence and there's nothing to worry about?

Back