Worried about my girl

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImaGuppy

This morning I found one of my rats had died during the night. I think she might have been sick and I'm worried my current rat might catch it.

I bought my rat from PetCo about a month or so ago. She was nearly the fattest of the bunch. A few weeks ago I started to notice she was getting really skinny compared to my other chubby rat. I started to notice her fur was getting dull and thin a week or so ago. Yesterday she was acting funny, biting more than her usual nibbles and harder, and I caught her hanging on the bars of her cage chewing madly at them with her tail going crazy, it was pretty odd even for a rat.

I'm worried if she was sick that my other rat might catch her sickness. Right now she looks healthy and chubby as always, but I'm going to keep a close eye on her for a week and clean out her cage before getting a new rat.

I would take her to a vet to have her checked over. Generally if a rat begins loosing weight a vet visit would be a wise idea.

I would take her to a vet to have her checked over. Generally if a rat begins loosing weight a vet visit would be a wise idea.
I wish I could have but due to financial issues I can't afford a vet visit or medical care for my rats. I make many of my rat's toys, I use newspaper for bedding and shredded newspaper for nesting material, and I cut back on the amount of rat block my rats eat and supplement their diets with other foods.

Unfortunately it is next to impossible for us to know what was the cause of your girl's death and whether or not it's something your other rat might have caught. Best advice I can offer is keep a very close eye on her and if anything seems off you need to get her to the vet. Does your vet offer a payment plan or is there someone you can borrow money from?

Back