Wildfires and Mycoplasmosis

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Schpog

So most of you know me. My latest two adopted rats are Simone and Queenie. I got them from a reputable adoption org. Shortly after I got them, Simone came down with an URI. She was lethargic, making those horrible click sounds. I took her into Vancouver ER vet and they gave her O2 and antibiotics (Baytril and Doxy) for a week. She recovered at the beginning of Sept.

Then the wildfire smoke came through BC very badly. Vancouver was the worst polluted city for a few days after California and Oregon, where the wildfires were raging. The smoke directly travelled over Vancouver.
1600634097314.png

Anyway, Simone started showing signs of a URI. I could hear some light wheezing and clicking. I tried to make a vet appointment but they were booked and wanted me to wait a week. So I crossed my fingers and hoped Simone wouldn't get too bad before the appointment.

Then her sister Queenie started wheezing a bit and I heard her clicking a bit last night so I was like 'screw it, we're going to the ER.' I didn't want to take a chance with either of them as I know how fast they can succumb. So I took them to the ER and just to walk in the door was $320.00

The vet told me they were fine. She listened to their lungs and said that rats are immediately responsive to their environment re: their lungs. She said they can make those sounds but they're only temporary and not a sign of an infection. It left me feeling a bit perplexed and obviously this is breaking my bank account!

I'm disabled and on disability income and half of my cheque went to their vet visit last night!

She told me she would leave an antibiotic script for me if I needed it and thought they were getting worse. I just have to call her today and then go pick it up (and probably drop another 100 bucks).

I don't want to give them AB's if they don't need it but I definitely heard them making a click noise. Maybe I just panicked? I am a fairly new rat Momma.

I consider myself lucky because my first rats weren't from a pet store and they were deeply cared for by my neighbour. I got to meet my rats parents and they were super healthy rats. My rats Big Schpog and Baby Schpog were my first rats and they never even had the 'new home sniffles' or ' new home poops.' They came from the best rats.

However, my latest two youngsters were adopted from an org here in BC and I don't know where they came from and they may have come from a hoarding situation or whatnot. I have no idea. They were well socialized when I picked them up but I had no idea about their parentage or what health issues they may come with.

So, to make a long story even longer....

I need to find a place to buy antibiotics for my rats just in case I need them. I can't keep spending exhorbitant amounts of money when I have to take them to the ER. Some people have pointed to some bird pharmacies where you can order Baytril and aquarium pharmacies where you can order Doxy.

simone.jpg
Queenie thinking about mischief.jpeg

Back