Wierd scabs on my rat- update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aida

My ratter-tatter Matilda developed a weird scab on her neck(back of).

I first noticed something weird when I saw that her hair there was standing up. However, I poked around it and even held her down while I slooooooowly pulled back her hair. I saw nothing. Then, last night, I was scritching her and found what felt like a scab. However, I can't see it as it grew exactly where she has a dark spot, and her hair is too thick to let me pull it back and look(it hasn't caused any hairloss).

I don't think it's mites or fleas. She has nothing else, no hairloss, the other rat has nothing, and the scab is bigger than those that I've seen on mite pictures.

Is it just a normal every-day scab from scratching?

(there's no point getting a pic, guys. I can't even get a look at it, so much as take a picture)

Update:
I dipped her in some water, and smoothed the fur back a bit. She was too panicky to take a good picture, though. I'd say her scab is a bit bigger than the eraser of a pencil, and I checked her whole body- didn't find anymore. Today, the second rat has been grooming at it. She also has nothing on the tail/ears, or belly. Does this mean I can rule out mites? Her fur is white except for a couple spots, and I got a good look at it today- no buggers or eggs, etc.

I didn't believe my rats had mites/fleas/lice until I actually picked something off their fur, looked at it, and saw it moving. I noticed little scabs around their necks and itching but no other symptoms. Those little buggers can be elusive, so I would check for more scabs just in case. If the fur is too thick, you can wet the rat down and the fur will part and show the scabs, if any. I would do this just to rule out mites/fleas/lice.

It may also be from injury (other rats, sharp objects, fell and skinned a knee, who knows?)

I would definitely wait to hear from others, though. I'm not the most experienced person here. Good luck solving the scab mystery!

Hmm... thanks, guys.

I'll try to get a good luck around, if she settles down enough to let me. Good thing the little bugger loooooves water!

Back