What on earth is going on?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nakkida

It's been a while since our last update with Oliver and Tristan. It has been 3 months since they were neutered but we're waiting until christmas to begin intros and then we plan to cage them together. EVENTUALLY.

First up, Oliver:
I've been worrying about him for a few weeks now because he's been having some respiratory issues and they keep flaring up after our meds run out. Any time I enter the room and he comes to the top of his cage to say hi, I hear him making noises that sound like a guinea pig and he doesn't stop making them for a couple minutes. Last night he sneezed 12 times in a row.

We've had him on Baytril, which helped and then it came back. The vet gave him injections of ivomectin for mites treatment, although he had no symptoms aside from his breathing. He was also given two weeks on sulfatrim which barely helped until after he stopped taking it. Now it has been a while since he's been on meds and his flares are coming back.

What exactly are we missing? He doesn't have any discharge around his nose or eyes, I check him every day. He is eating his greens and his lab blocks happily every day. He's always full of energy and nothing seems to slow him down.

His cage is cleaned every week and he is on fleece bedding aside from his carefresh filled litterbox.

Tristan:
He pulls out his hair!
First he got a mite scrape, which turned up with nothing and we were given some ointment to rub on his bald areas. We were told afterward the scrape isn't effective for rats.

He didn't improve so we went back and he was given shots of ivomectin with Oliver, and he still hasn't grown his hair back. My sister will watch him scratch for long intervals and she actually sees him pulling the hair out. He hasn't had any scabs since the ivomectin, though.
Tristan doesn't have breathing issues but he plays in my bedroom, where Oliver is caged, so whatever Ollie has isn't contagious.

We're not sure what to do at this point because we want them to be happy little neutered manrats instead of stressed, sneezy, and balding! Sorry for having such a long post but every time I seem to leave things out and I wanted this to be thorough.

Rats will sometimes barber themselves resulting in thin hair or bald spots.
Doesn't sound like that is what is happenng.
I would treat both boys with revolution in case they still have mites.

If baytril was effective in treating Oliver's respir problem, I would suggest that he needs to be given antibiotics for a longer time period. If meds are stopped too soon, the symptoms return.
I would suggest antibiotics for at least 6 weeks.

Nakkida said:
First he got a mite scrape, which turned up with nothing. We were told afterward the scrape isn't effective for rats.
Is this true??? I have had skin scrapes done on mice and mite eggs were everywhere. I have never had it done on my rats, but if this is true, it certainly would be good to know. If you can't see signs of mites with a skin scrape, how do you know 100% your rat has mites as they are not visible to the naked eye. My vet looks for fecal droppings but in the case of my mice, has done the scrape as well.

Thanks for posting guys. Maple, I don't know 100% and that's why I'm asking, I told people we got the scrape done and someone told me it rarely worked for rats. (as Jorats mentioned :p)

Where can we find Zithromax without going through our vet because we can't go in and pay the checkup fee only to be given a small dose of other meds that wont work. Is there somewhere online we could buy it/get dosing instructions?

We might have a way to get revolution but for how long should Tristan be taking it? I mentioned it before they got their injections and our vet said they didn't carry revolution.

I really don't mean to make the vet sound bad but I feel that he doesn't entirely listen to what we have to say and I know you guys have years of experience with rats. I don't know what I'd say if he asked why we wanted to buy so much medication.

You put the revolution on the skin on the back of their neck and it will kill mites, fleas, etc for a month.
One treatment is usually all that is needed.
The amount used is based on the weight of the rat but it usually works out to a drop.
One tube of kitten or cat revolution will treat quite a few rats.

Thanks so much Eagle, you're awesome and you know it! :nod:
I'll tell my sister when she gets home from work, we'll probably work out some kind of payment with you. :)

We will see if they carry revolution in a few different places, thanks everyone for your advice. I'll try to keep up with my post and make sure you know they're getting better. If anyone still has something that should be mentioned, feel free to drop me a line. I'm pretty much open to any ideas that could help them!

Thank you Eagle! For all you have done. Oliver is on his meds now, it has been a few days and he is sounding better already! We owe you one big time. I really feel like we should at least pay you something for that medication....

This is where you answer: "Why yes Tonya, maybe ______ amount of dollars would be fair."
And I gleefully reply: "Of course Eagle! Anything for our poor rattie children and their knight in shining armor!"

Tada! So easy. :giggle:

OlliesGirl said:
Thank you Eagle! For all you have done. Oliver is on his meds now, it has been a few days and he is sounding better already! We owe you one big time. I really feel like we should at least pay you something for that medication....

This is where you answer: "Why yes Tonya, maybe ______ amount of dollars would be fair."
And I gleefully reply: "Of course Eagle! Anything for our poor rattie children and their knight in shining armor!"

Tada! So easy. :giggle:

Nope no charge. :cheeky:

lol good to know Moon. I'll find some way to pay her back! :cheeky: hah

I do have a question about the Cipro tho, my sister and I were told it is something like Baytril. Ollie has been on baytril once before and his personality changed on me. He started harshly grooming my arms and just being sort of a spaz. Which is really not like him. He is usually a cuddly boy. Well it got better after the baytril stopped and now he is on cipro and it is starting up again. It may be some weird coincident, but I'm just curious to see if anyone else had an odd personality change in their rattie when he or she was on these meds.

Back