ugly afternoon at the vets-RIP Stewart-records up

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitch

i took 7 rats with me to the vets today.
serraphim because of her weight loss, i can't bring myself to type out her problem again, her thread is here:http://www.jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7529

stewart to get his next convenia shot and his ear checked again.
stew is not doing well. since the start of the month he has lost 50 grams. he has quickly progressing hind end paralysis, almost complete already and its only been a little over a week since i noticed the beginnings of it. and his breathing is so bad, even with the convenia. the other night he had a very scary gasping spell. when the vet listened to his lungs she said he sounded worse.... he has been bouncing back every time since he started having bouts in may with his breathing, but each time it came back it was harder to get rid of. before his last run of convenia, nothing else was working anymore, it was the last ditch effort. now we don't think even that is working for anymore. the ear had improved on schedule to what the vet was expecting though. he was dehydrated though, so we gave him some fluids subQ. i don't know if i'm doing the right thing keeping him going but he is still in every way my stew. he's still commanding his cagemates, he's still my sweet loving boy and he still goes after the cats in protection of rat friends, though he doesn't try very hard anymore... the vet said to give him the weekend though, see how he's doing... i fear that he's just lingering but i don't want end it for him if he's not ready...

chop suey to get his next convenia shot
he is improving, not by great degrees like magi but steadily. his right lung is taking a harder time to clear up but his left lung is doing well. he's gained 13 ounces since the beginning of the month (and i suspect its rather been since he's been in with stew and sharing in the extra meals... :wink:

tasche to get her stitches removed
she was being a brat and scratched the vet, but the vet took it in stride. there is a small blood pocket that i've been told to keep an eye but its not of much concern. she is to go back on wednesday for recheck on that.
wagner to have his lungs listened to

wagner to get his breathing checked
i thought i had heard breathing noises from him. so i took him with me. the vet listened to his lungs though and they sound clear. on the other hand his heart his beating fast and hard. the vet said it could simply be because he was excited (and he was, he was very eager to explore and get into as much trouble as he could) while i was suspecting it could be something more sinister. i know i heard SOMETHING from him. but the lungs are clear. so i don't know what his issue is... we're to monitor him for now.

ink to get checked out
she has being acting not-ink-like. she's been less energentic and actually calm. ink is never still. she's a ball of energy that's always on the go. she will always notice when someone is near the cage or looking in on her. she will always crawl her way out of the bottom of a ratpile to be at the door when you open it, she is always the first to the food dish. except for now. she dangles now, she doesn't play as hard, she doesn't stalk the cats as long or chase them as far. she'll stay where she's comfy in a hammock or hut instead of coming to the door. she'll actually sit still for a cuddle or two before troddling off instead of her usual zoom. but the vet looked her over, checked ears, listened to her heart and lungs, poked and prodded her for any lumps or wrong feeling organs. nothing is wrong with her. the best we can figure is that she has finally realized she's not a five week old popcorning rattie, but rather the 19 month middle aged rat that she is. so i don't know. i'm still going to watch her carefully just in case, but i guess it could be just as simple as her finally recognizing her age i suppose.

chancey to get his leg and a lump looked at
on october 9th chancey and magi broke a back foot each. while magi is back in the main cage with only a very small almost unnoticeable swelling left in his broken foot, chancey can't seem to use his toes and keeps his leg tucked up. it doesn't hurt him for me to move the leg every which way and to apply pressure though. its still swollen though, and that may be why he's not having mobility in his toes, though its not likely there's still that chance. in any case, there's nothing we can do about that. he will have to adjust to it, and he seems to be doing that well. i don't know if he will be able to manage the main cage with everyone as he's the wimp at the bottom of the totem, but we will see one day when he doesn't have stew to care for anymore.

also, he's getting a lump removed from his scrotum this wednesday. the lump appeared when he broke his foot and has been changing in size and position since then. i was suspecting an abscess, as he did get rather scratched up during the fight over the overloaded hammock with magi, but the vet suspects something more then that and wants it gone. i'm hoping that his operation will go as smoothly as tasche's but he's a worry. he's very special to me, i don't know how he did it but he wormed his way in deeper then most. its been seeming that i've been losing rats left right and center since april and i'm going to be losing another 3 in short enough order, i don't know if i can handle losing him on top of it all too. so, while i know it better to get the lump it gets nasty, i'm scared. i love my babies so much and i've had to say goodbye too much recently. i don't know how much more i can handle, i just hope i don't have to say goodbye to anyone i'm not prepared for...

on that note, when came home today and got violet out to check on her lumps (an abscess we're working on and her fatty deposit) i discovered another clauiflower feeling lump on her groin, in the same area that twix and tasche has their's. and like twix's i can't get my fingers under the edge of it. what make it worse, is its of fair size already and it wasn't there at all yesterday. then when i was checking her rat-boob and feeling around in there i felt little tiny lumps spread all over... so now i'm in a pessimistic mood and doubting that the abscess is just an abscess. its been responding to compresses but then again so did babydoll's at first and it was discovered later that she had tumors as well...

things are not well in the wilson house. i have many rats that are fine.

scritter is coming along in her socialization but she's very dependant on serraphim and i'm worried what she will do and how she will cope when serraphim leaves. i will have to start to intro her to another of the main cage and someone healthy and friendly with serraphim (though serraphim is so friendly and just wanting to be loved that they all love her back anyway).

romar is well as ever, still being bullied by tasche and loving his tunnels but a loving and quietly adventerous boy

eyes' ears seem to be clear now. her tilt hasn't gotten any worse anyway.

magi is being his big lug self and he still sounds clear as well. he still puts a token bid in for leadership but i think it may be starting to settle on tasche, who seems to be taking a page from twix's book on how to rule the cage. she's been beating up on everyone (minus the rats that are bigger then her-aka violet and magi) but getting in the way of any other fights that break out. mind you she does that by sitting on the one that was being picked on instead of bossing the attacker away... :roll: but its effective to end that fight, and of course start one of her own with the previously abused... :roll:

ok... so maybe not as many well rats as i thought... ok, that's just depressing... :wallbang:

in nay case, i will update here on wednesday after chancey is home and well. please send him good and powerful vibes for a successful and uneventful operation.

Oh boys twitch... what a hard time you are having right now. It's so unfair it seems, why all at once. You must be feeling so drained. Take some Raven time... you so deserve it.

i was right, stew didn't make it the week. last night was really rough on him so i took him this morning. he wasn't getting any better. his necropsy showed that he couldn't have anyway. the lung were too damaged and infected. his kidneys, heart and everything else was a picture of health though... stupid resp infections!

but we got talking there, and the vet suggested that you can get myco from other animals, why can't you get it from rats as well. and she was concerned that so many were getting sick that perhaps it was being spread and was contagious.... i don't know... i'm going to go back over my records later to figure out if there is a pattern. i have been losing a lot of them lately and there is certainly a good number of mine sick. when i go over the records i'll post it here, maybe someone can help me find out what i'm doing wrong. i feel like a death bringer recently and i don't like that.

Awww sweetie, it sounds like you are getting paranoid about the illnesses which we all do at one point. After going through PT a few times, I was sure all the symptoms of rats were the beginning of PT, etc. :sad3:

I wouldn't worry too much about the myco, it sounds like you are just having a run of bad luck and that is part of taking in those rescues...not always but it happens. Myco strains can change from area to area but your kids are all local and most likely all have the same strain, which there is very little you can do about.

Serra is a very old lady, compromised before you got her, it sounds like things are sadly progressing, but it sounds horribly normal :(

Chop - how long has he been on the shots? If you don't see major improvement in a week you need to consider adding another antibiotic. I have seen improvement on some rats but then it plateaus and stays at a certain level. With old chronic rats this is almost expected..Rennie will never Not Crackle again, but we keep it controlled. With normal rats plateauing means time for an addition or a change.

Wagner - how often did you hear those noises? Were they consistent? Don't worry about the heart racing, normal reaction for a rat at the vets...keep an eye on him, but don't worry too much.

Ink - sounds like she is aging normally. 18 months or even a bit younger is when they slow down, their hind foot starts flattening so that they aren't running on their toes with that spring in their hocks, they get a bit lazier and may gain weight. Cuddle and love her but don't worry too much about the behaviour change. She just came into it a bit later than most.

Chancey I am worried about. You had x-rays done of his break right? If you didn't I would be concerned about a systemic infection that's popping up. Get your vet to do an FNA before doing the surgery (fine needle aspiration) and it will tell you what you are dealing with. Solid mass is a tumour (nothing comes out), pus is an abscess, cystic material is a cyst. Then you can decide the next step.

I am sorry to hear about Stewie. ((hugs))

Very sorry to hear about Stewart.

Rats can catch different strains of myco from one another, or we can carry it to them if we visit places with other rats having different strains. We can not catch myco from rats so at least you don't need to worry about myco and your human family.

Although all of your rats are from the maritimes, the pet stores do bring them in from a mill in Quebec. So you can never be sure what strains of myco rats have.

twitch, I am sorry to hear about Stewart. You've really had such a bad time of it lately, the downside of having several older ones. Please don't think you are doing something wrong. Anyone who has a lot of rats, especially rats over 1 1/2 years old, is going to be doing a lot of vet visits and seeing a lot of dear pets off to the Bridge.

Sounds like things are just on a run of bad luck. It happens.

I lost three older gentleman this past summer to CHF, it seems like it will never end.

Im sorry about Stewart, its not easy to lose them.

Take care of yourself :cuddle:

lilspaz68 said:
Awww sweetie, it sounds like you are getting paranoid about the illnesses which we all do at one point. After going through PT a few times, I was sure all the symptoms of rats were the beginning of PT, etc. :sad3:
probably, but just to be sure its not just me seeing things i've gotten together all the month summaries and posted them on bruxnboggle (its rather long and in multiple posts because of that so i'm just going to link over instead of posting it all here-if you would rather i post it all here and take away the link let me know and i will do so)

Chop - how long has he been on the shots? If you don't see major improvement in a week you need to consider adding another antibiotic. I have seen improvement on some rats but then it plateaus and stays at a certain level. With old chronic rats this is almost expected..Rennie will never Not Crackle again, but we keep it controlled. With normal rats plateauing means time for an addition or a change.
it hasn't not improved him, only its not improving as fast as magi did. he's had 3 shots at this point. he is steadily improving though, there has been no plateauing yet. however, i will be seeing the vet again wednesday when chancey has his operation and i will ask then what antibiotics would compliment convenia and see if she thinks he should be getting a double whammy.

Wagner - how often did you hear those noises? Were they consistent? Don't worry about the heart racing, normal reaction for a rat at the vets...keep an eye on him, but don't worry too much.
i can't honestly tell you how often i have heard them. sometimes i hear the breathing sounds and other times i don't and then there are times when i think i'm hearing something and then for the sound to stop. perhaps it is all in my head... at this point i wouldn't put that past myself

Ink - sounds like she is aging normally. 18 months or even a bit younger is when they slow down, their hind foot starts flattening so that they aren't running on their toes with that spring in their hocks, they get a bit lazier and may gain weight. Cuddle and love her but don't worry too much about the behaviour change. She just came into it a bit later than most.
we used to joke about that, saying we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves once she did slow down, because it would be so anti-ink. now it may have actually happened.... my gut says its something more, but its probably on overdrive right now anyway...

Chancey I am worried about. You had x-rays done of his break right? If you didn't I would be concerned about a systemic infection that's popping up. Get your vet to do an FNA before doing the surgery (fine needle aspiration) and it will tell you what you are dealing with. Solid mass is a tumour (nothing comes out), pus is an abscess, cystic material is a cyst. Then you can decide the next step.
we never got an x-ray done, no. they want to charge me near $500 to get one done. while i love my rats and i try to prepare for such emergencies, that would break my vet can after the seemingly non-ending vet trips recently. we're still getting money in there but i figured time would tell us if it was a break anyway. the amount of swelling and length of time to heal and any difference in step afterwards should all be able to tell if it was a break or bad sprain. i never thought about a systemic infection. i will make sure to have the vet FNA before the surgery just to be sure. does a systemic infection act like an abscess? is it likely to cause septis? do you treat it like an abscess or do you do something else?

I am sorry to hear about Stewie. ((hugs))
thank you :heart:

SQ said:
In Fredericton, it is $60 for an xray, in NS $45 to $60 ... $500 is excessive.
that's what i thought! i suppose i could have heard her wrong or maybe she gave me an excessive price lke that just so i wouldn't ask for it and then she wouldn't have to do it. i don't know. at the time i didn't think it was important anyway, i figured that i would be able to tell the difference in time and didn't think you could get sick from a broken leg.

Latest posts

Back