Sad news for Violet - update- She's gone :*(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbie

Seems I am a fountain of bad rattie news lately. :sad3:

After saving Violet from possible euthanasia by her previous owner, after having her horridly long snaggle tooth removed, after freeing her from 2 nasty tumors, after a spay due to possible uterine problems......our dear girl NOW has a huge mass in her belly. I simply do NOT know how our vets missed it, because it's huge. But I have a feeling it's grown alarmingly fast. She has put on weight like crazy since we brought her home..and this probably explains it. I know I would have felt a lump like this before just the other day, unless this is something worse than a tumor. I'm pretty freaked out to say the least.

We've only had her a couple of months, and of course, I fear we won't be able to save her this time.

Our vet appt is at noon tomorrow. I'd ask for good thoughts, but I just don't think this could anything but bad.

Again, sorry to join this forum and then go on and on about my sick ratties. We are going through a real streak of bad luck lately. :sad3: :sad3: Nature of the beast when you adopt elderlies, but doesn't make me love them any less. I've been so wrapped up with Phoebe, Nick and now Violet....I never even got a chance to post a memorial on our dear witto old Nemo, who left us last week. :cry3: :cry3:

Oh Deb... I'm so sorry. No need to apologize to us, we are here for you, to comfort you and share in your grief. Poor sweet Violet, you've done so much for that girl... God needs her back and there's no two ways about it. :sad3:

It's been an awful time for you. No need to apologize; we can all empathize with the way bad things happen in unmanageable clusters.

Pats and banana mash to dear Violet. :heart:

Why do things always seem to happen at once.... :hugs: Never be sorry about sharing the good and the bad with us...that is what we are here for...to help our fellow rattie lovers through all the hard times....

Today was not a good day. I can't even yet believe it. I'm honestly still very shaken up and a mess.

The mass in Violet's belly doubled in size, in just two days. I knew we weren't going to get any good news at the vet. But had hoped an exam and xray might lead us to believe she'd have some more time with us.

She was in good spirits, happy and eating this morning, as if she didn't have a care in the world or that she had a huge lump in her belly.

She toodled around the exam table, happier than a clam. Even when the vet looked pretty sad to feel how big the lump was. Our vet left the room to tell the vet tech to get the xray machine ready, so we could see what was going on with that horrid lump.

I was holding Violet one minute, the next she just collapsed. We rushed her to the back where the vet heard that Violet's heart had slowed way down. She'd had a stroke. They put her on oxygen, gave her a steroid injection and fluids. After about 10 minutes of watching and waiting, the vet felt her belly again.....the mass had suddenly gotten a lot smaller. We knew something had ruptured. She was gone, just minutes later. :sad3: :sad3:

It's one thing when you have time to prepare....but I wasn't prepared for this. :sad3:

I couldn't bring her home until I knew what this lump was that grew so incredibly fast. Our vet did a necrospy on Violet during her lunch hour. It turns out that Violet had a very agressive tumor in her liver, that had ruptured. My dear baby girl, never stood a chance. :sad3:

I can't tell you how upset I am. I've lost many ratties over the years, but this has got to be one of the hardest. We only had Violet for a very short time. I put her through 3 surgeries in that short time, to try and give her a better life. I know I did all I could for her, and my husband and I fell hopelessly in love with her...I feel like I failed her.

I am very sorry to hear..
It is strange to see that events like these come in waves...
We've just been through one, with a couple of rats that we spend a lot of energy on, (not to speak of funds) just to see them die of completely new complications..
Somehow you get a bit more emotionally attached to the ones that have gone through a lot of trouble, and it only makes it harder when they "vanish"...
Hugs to you..

I'm so sorry. What a heartbreak, to do everything that made sense at the time and then lose her anyway. It's hard to comprehend those fast-growing tumours.

I hope that you and your husband will be able in time to have the bad memories fade enough to recall the good times. With rats the time is always too short, no chance to prepare.

Take care. :hugs:

No apologies neccessary. We are so sorry to hear about poor Violet. Atleast you did everything you could for her and I am sure that her little ratty heart knows that. A rats only fault is that they have so much love to give in so little time. :cuddle:

Oh Deb I'm so sorry. :hugs: Poor Violet, she didn't get long enough to live with you, but I know she appreciated your love and the nice home that you provided for her.

Latest posts

Back