Rat safe tree branches

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noober

Hi there -
If I was to go into my garden and look for a tree branch to put in the rat's cage or play area, what types of wood should I avoid?
My prime candidate trees are crabapple, apple, lilac, maple and various pine types (though I think I know already that pine is not so good - phenols and sap?)
Any Southern Ontario trees that are rattie no no's?
thanks!

ohh good question!
i don't have an answer, unfortunately.. but i would also like to add birch branches to the list of "are these suitable?"

blytherue said:
I remember a thread talking about the a few months back. I think I remember apple wood bring ok but with any wood you have to wash and bake it?

I know that for apple wood for chinchillas they siggest boiling the branches, then bake them on a low-medium temperature (checking often to make sure they don't catch fire) until they're dried.

Do the branches need to be boiled or baked if they have been out all winter (it was -19 C on the weekend)? Is that to sterilzed for mould etc?

I searched wood, but maybe I didn't go back far enough in the posts :)

thanks!

Boil & bake or deep freeze. Buggies like to live inside these trees and you don't want anything walking on your criitters. Play it safe.

Back