pregnant panic!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarah

okay so, i did a lot of research, and i'm positive Hershey is pregnant.
She is blown right up in her belly and i can feel movement in her stomach as well. Also, She's been making a nest in the cage.

It wasn't Throttle, because we only have had him for less than a week, and she feels like she's going to burst. So it must have been while she was in the pet store.

Help..........I don't know the first thing about owning a pregnant rat. :panic:

Is she with other cagemates now? If she's close to having the bubs you will have to separate her and give nesting stuff like paper towels so she can make a nest. The mom will do all the work. Take a deep breath and just watch. lol

Oh dear... if she looks like she swallowed an apple, then it's time to separate her and keep her in a tank so the babies will be safe. Give her lots of paper towels and fleece pieces so she can build a nest for her wee ones. When you know for sure she's pregnant, then you feed her extra protein like adding eggs, tuna, chicken to her diet. You can give her high protein dog food. She should have at least 24% protein in her diet.
And mom does the rest... :D

Yeah, she's definatley pregnant.
But seeing as i don't know when she got pregnant, how do i know when to seperate her? She's grown a LOT bigger in the last week, and you can defintaley feel baby movement in her tummy.

To be safe, move her out now. It sounds like she's getting close, and a couple extra days on her own wont hurt her.

You don't want to take the chance of her giving birth with her cage mates around. It might be too stressful for her, or the cagemates might not take to it well.

Back