Nebulizing multiple rats simultaneously & Nebulizing Baytril

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DolciLady

Hi guys! When you nebulize a group of rats at the same time, do you adjust the dosage of solution? I've been nebulizing Dempsey (a rescue with chronic breathing problems/lung damage) but now his three other cagemates have begun sneezing and making monkey noises. I'd like to hit it hard and early with them so I thought I could just nebulize them all together.

My solution is (this gives me three doses worth):
8ml water
.5ml Gent
.5ml Albuterol

Dempsey also gets .15ml of 10% Baytril once a day (pretty high dose, I know) and .2ml Doxy BID.

1.) Do I need to adjust my nebulizing solution to accomodate 4 rats instead of one (assuming they're all a pound each)?
2.) I'd really like to add the Baytril to the nebulizing mix but am not sure how or if I need to adjust the solution or alter the dosage of the Baytril.

What are your thoughts and experiences? I know Jorats used to nebulize a big group and also used Baytril, but I'm hungry for even more info.

Thanks!
Robin

Since I don't know the concentration of your meds I can't comment on that.

I nebulize my rats, and find it to be helpful. I do not adjust the formula for multiple rats since the concentration in the air will be the same, and that is what matters. I also do not nebulize baytril as it is irritating to lungs, and can make nebulizing painful. I recommend giving it orally.

Pink

When I nebulize my rats, I put them all in the big chamber but at the same dose you would do one rat.

I'm not sure if you can add baytril to the mix??
I nebulize my guys with 0.5 injectible baytril with 7.5ml saline fluids.

Back