Mouth problems

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jodi l Kish

So I saved this poor little albino rattie from the feeder tank at my local pet store, when I got him home I realized he was skin and bones, literally could feel all his ribs and vertebrae on his spine. I hoped that being loved on and having a constant food supply to himself would help him plump up. He looked a bit weird to me in the snout area but I kept my eye on him and he was eating and drinking ok. He is very skittish, I have never owned a rat I couldn't hold and love on from the minute I brought them home. I started lurking around the forums here for ways to help him put on weight and started feeding him baby food (chicken). Oh man did he love that and he gained weight fast. Now, here is my problem. He definitely has a tooth problem, his jaw is aligned wrong, it almost looks like. His teeth are overgrown now. He has a vet appointment this afternoon, I realize this may be a long term care thing where his teeth will have to be trimmed every few weeks. Do any of you have a rat like this? How costly is it? Is it safe for him to be anesthetized like that so often? I really don't know if we have it in the budget to keep up with this. Any ideas or help or stories about this would be greatly appreciated. I love the little bugger and just want whats best for him, but wasn't prepared for this.

He will liked need his front teeth trimmed for the remainder of his life.
He is so fortunate that you saved him as he was starving to death
Hopefully his teeth have not punctured the inside of his mouth - if they have he will need antibiotics from the vet.

It is safest to have the vet use a Dremel tool to trim his teeth …. some people do it at home but then there is danger that the tooth will spilt. Make sure that the vet has the knowledge and experience to use anesthetic with rats - only a gas should be given - nothing by injection.
If you vet has the knowledge and experience to treat rats, your vet should be able to assess if your rattie is healthy enough to be given anesthetic

Here is some info that may help
http://ratguide.com/health/digestive/malocclusion.php

Under anesthesia we found that he had many tooth problems, like you said, one had punctured the roof of his mouth, another root had gone up towards his eye causing discomfort and itching. He would have needed to have been put under every 2-3 weeks to have his teeth ground down, and I couldn't do that to him. Poor guy, I had him pts. RIP Malfoy

I'm so sorry! You did the right thing, hard as I'm sure it was for you. He was SO lucky that you brought him home and gave him some love & pleasure in this life - and a name- then some peace when it was all that would work for him. My heart goes out to you.

Thank you. I'm certain since he couldn't eat the only food being offered at the pet store , he would have starved to death there if I hadn't rescued him. He was sooo thin. Glad I gave him a good few weeks with a full belly here. I only had him a bit but loved him from the minute I saw him . I brought home a little nakie rat to love on, couldn't stand the cage being empty.

I hope you & your new boy have a long happy time together.
Have you considered getting him a friend? Since we can't climb into their cage and they can't come to us whenever they want, they should have some company. I'm assuming he's very young? Boys can be very hard to introduce when they're older, so I suggest getting him another very young guy Right away! They'll likely bond really easily, especially as they are in a new environment and can find confidence in each other. You can find bonding advice here: https://www.joinrats.com/Intros/BabySteps/
and remember that young kids will often tousle with each other for play, it's all good if nobody is biting..

I am home 90% of the time and he will be with me, on my person when I am. I wanted a single rat I could really bond with and take everywhere. Just giving him a few days to settle in with all the new smells and sounds.

Back