Mint spray to keep rats from chewing? Is it safe?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zewks

Just a general safety question. Ive got a critter nation cage with some premade felt covers for the pans. One of my rats simply will not stop chewing holes through the corners and edges of the bottom most cover (i think she thinks she can chew her way out).

I had read that rats hate mint. Would it be safe (and effective) to spray the corners where she normally chews with Mint mouth spray to keep her from doing chewing holes?

Ive got tons of toys and chewables in the cage for her, plenty of materials for nesting habbits and sleeping, and she gets a decent amount of time every day out of the cage to roam and play. Im just looking for a way to make the covers last longer than a week. Gets kinda expensive having to replace them so often.

Thanks

If rats hate mint, it would most likely be the fragrance. Putting a fragrance that is bothersome to rats in their own cage would be cruel. Have you tried the Bitter Apple or other chewing deterrents for dogs? It's all natural but has a very bitter taste. If you really want to prevent chewing, I would try Bitter Apple first. Another thing you could try and lay some newspaper in the areas where they like to chew. Rats usually can't resist chewing and tearing newspaper.

Rats chew, that is just their thing. We use peppermint in the rat room, but just on the floor to keeps ants away. Its used in very small amounts. I mix the peppermint oil 50/50 with water and sometimes it burns my eyes so I imagine it might irrate the rats too.

Latest posts

Back