Litter Training for ADULT rats.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Hiya everyone!
So when I've raised ratties from babies, I had no trouble potty training them.

However, I just adopted ADULT rats and they are not litter trained and they are pooping EVERYWHERE.

I tried doing the technique I usually do which is to have a litter box filled with different litter from the rest of the cage and I also added their droppings in it. But every time I go to the cage, all the litter in the litter box is shoved out and poop is everywhere. :poop:

Does anyone have any advice on how to train adults?

Thanks so much!
-M.

Some rats will and some rats won't.
But what I do is have litter in just the litter pans. I place several litter pans in the areas of the cage that I see they poop the most. I also clean out the cage twice a day of all poops. I also do mid day clean ups where I pick up all the poop and place in the litter pan. I don't change the litter every day. I keep in for two to three days with the same litter but picking out the poop this keeps the smell in there, hoping to teach the rats to go where they smell it. This usually works with babies or adults but definitely not with teenagers or young adults...between the ages of 4 to 8 months... that's a very difficult age to train because this is when they become mature hormonally and claim their cage and spots by peeing and pooping everywhere.

Jorats!
Thank you for your response! I will stay patient and fingers crossed they learn! We'll seeeeee!

This is a fantastic forum.

Thanks again!
-M.:)

Latest posts

Back