Limping Little'un :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argent

Marsh, my littlest baby has quite suddenly developed a limp. I think it could've happened when he tried to pin Hugo, who flipped him back and then the twins decided to show him who's boss too >.<; it didn't look like much of a scuffle but he's been dragging his back foot a little, and not putting much weight on it so I'm assuming it's a sprain. It can't be a break because I've rotated his leg gently (walk motion) and felt his foot all over and there's not a squeak out of him.
Also, he's running around, jumping and even climbing like he normally does. Nothing's swollen (I've been watching closely) so how to I keep him in any sort of resting state with his two boisterous brothers bounding around?

Will do :/ I watched him for about 20 minutes or so after it happened and nothing swelled up so I'm hoping it stays that way...any tips if it does swell?

Lilspaz helped me with a dose for some Calprofen (childrens ibuprofen stuff) when Sid had a sprain and his ankle swelled up. If his foot starts to swell, im sure she will help you out with a dosage

Awesome :D He's been back in the cage for a while now, it's been well over an hour since it happened and there's no swelling yet so I hope we're all clear ^^

Sprains are so common and most of them do swell up but only for a few days and then they heal up fine. Some rats do need pain management while others are fine. I don't like to give any because if they have a bit of pain it encourages them to rest the leg which is very important.
But do watch the swelling... it can get dangerous as SQ pointed it out.

Okay then, I'll check on him when he wakes up and if it is swollen, I'll just try him with a cool cloth to see if that helps. I'd be a bit nervous about giving him meds anyway. I don't think it's that severe anyway luckily ^^

He's doing absolutely fine, thank you for asking! ^^ He's been running around with his brothers like a crazy thing as usual. His leg's not swollen at all, and by his behavior, I don't think it's hindering him one bit :D

"All better now!" ^__^
keep67.jpg

Latest posts

Back