Kinda looks like a cheap FN

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people like it. The door only opens on one side though, you can't open the whole front up like a FN.

A plus is that the bar spacing is just slightly smaller, but that it seems to be just small enough to contain most adult rats even small ones.

Is the bar spacing small enough for girly rats even?

Edit: just found it... bar spacing is 7/8" on the Feisty Ferret, and FN bar spacing is 1". Doesn't seem that an eight of an inch would make that much of a difference to me.

Actually, from what I've heard that 1/8" makes a huge difference. It's not going to hold young babies in, but your average sized female won't be able to escape.

For real? I may have to check into it. I'm wanting a bigger cage for my girls, and if I could get a Feisty Ferret and not have to modify it for my bigger girls, I'd rather get that than a Ferret Nation and have to spend more money modifying it.

I think one of the Petsmarts around here has a Feisty Ferret set up. Will have to go look at it.

There are people on another forum, I think it's Goosemoose... Anyhow, I've gotten order requests for liners, and some of them had average looking females and hadn't modified their cages.

The problem with the Ferret Nation is that it isn't even consistent 1" bar spacing all the way around. There are some gaps that are a little more. And rats, of course, are too smart for their own good and realize this. And for the most part a 250 gram girl still has to "wiggle" her way out, though of course I've watched it be done.

My smallest girl is Nessie at 264 grams. I know if she really wanted to, she could get out of the FN. But for some odd reason, she hasn't even tried. *knocks on wood*

I think it's the bars next to the door hinge and under the pans that are more than 1" on an FN.

I looked into this one a while ago. The little shelves look really small though :? I've not seen one in person, mind you.

I'd love to read reviews by some who own them. The reviews on the website are geared towards ferrets only.

That's awesome to know. So, how come there isn't a huge pile of feisty ferret lovers, but loads of FN fans?

It's not as well known of a cage, I guess. I don't know if it's "new" or not, but it's just recently come up in rat forums. If you Google Feisty Ferret, you come up with alot of small animal owners on various forums. Chins, ferrets, etc...

Alot of people also seem put off by the wire floor and the wire grate in the bottom. The grate is removable, and the slide out pan apparently locks into place if you opt not to use the grate. The middle floor is 1/2" wire, though, and some people want a solid pan like the FN. Easy enough to cover, though.

Latest posts

Back