Goodbye Lucky. July 7 1994 - May 24, 2008

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelley

This is to celebrate my dogs life, and the time we have spent together. I will never forget the countless memories and stories he has given me.

I got Lucky when I was 7 years old, out of all my childhood memories - most of them are about him. I still faintly remember seeing the litter, they were an 'accidental' (aka. owner was too stupid to spay their free roaming country dog). Well, my next door neighbours had a cottage up there, and found out about the litter. They knew we were looking to get a puppy, so we went up and met with the owner.

We had a hard time deciding, but Lucky picked us in the end. I remember my shoe lace was a little loose, he came over and got his clumsy paw stuck in my shoelace and tumbled onto my foot. He looked up at me and wagged his tail. He was adorable, and we knew he was the one.

Lucky gave me so many firsts in life. When I was still a kid I took agility lessons with him, and attended some fun trials. He did well and loved it, but at that age I had a hard time keeping him with me, he always wanted my family to be together in one spot so he'd run out of the ring to 'herd' my family together. Oh well!

Lucky would go camping with us every summer, he'd go swimming in the lakes, he'd play ball with me, and we'd go to dog parks together. He was always full of such personality and energy, which is why it has been so difficult to see him degenerate these past few years. Last year he wasn't able to go camping with us, and this year he has a hard time even walking. His favorite things in life he can't do, so we know it is time for us to say goodbye.

I love Lucky - he's more than just a dog to me. He's always felt like a brother to me. He's been there through the good and bad, and was always there for me. He knew when I was sad, he'd come and rest his head on my knees and look into my eyes. He's a smart dog and he knows he can't do what he used to. He gets frustrated, his spirit is still there, but unfortunately his body isn't.

I'm going to miss him horribly. I'm writing this about a day and a half in advance, because I'll be too busy tomorrow spending time with Lucky. Saturday I'll be a wreck, and I won't be able to think as clearly as I am right now.

Rest in peace Lucky, we'll meet again in the future when our bodies will no longer limit us.

My portrait I drew last night when I couldn't sleep. Were framing it and hanging it on our wall.
lucky3copy.jpg

The portrait is so beautiful. :heart: It's wonderful you have so many great memories of your sweetheart. I'm so very sorry for your loss. :(

The two special dogs will be soon together to run free at Rainbow Bridge.When the time comes (Our dog is 15 years) I will make sure to tell Raindrop to look for Riley and Lucky. I am sure they will be best of friends .

Ann

Thankyou for all your support. He left us very peacefully this afternoon, despite all my feelings of sadness, I know he is now happy and able to run free. He's joined with Riley and the two of them will run their hearts out.

It just feels so unreal. I can't imagine him being gone, it hasn't completely sunk in yet. Play hard Lucky, we'll meet again one day.

:sad3:

Shelley, both pictures you paint of him (written and otherwise) are beautiful. May he stretch his long legs in the sun and not feel any pain now.

Back